What wireless USB network adapter for Xenialpup?

DeaconDog

What wireless USB network adapter for Xenialpup?

#1 Post by DeaconDog »

I have been running xenialpup lately. I have it installed on several desk top computers with hard wired lan cards.

Now the problem is I bought a dell inspiration 11 toy. First thing I did was try to run it with windows after several years of puppy. I hated it and my wife did too.

So I read how to start the computer with no hard drive using a usb stick. Then i reformatted whatever that drive thing the Dell had on it.. At least now I can use it for storing files.

It runs pretty good as best I can tell. I managed to get the basic Internet network to run off a hardwire to usb adapter. Now I have to get a wireless usb adapter to work or the confounded thing.

I'm the 75year old grandfather everyone makes fun of, but in my case they have good reason to do so. I have tried to install an adapter with an accompanying linux driver disk, but I cant get the thing to turn into a pet file. The puppy genie doesn't want to make my mind clear again.

So here is what I need to know ' Can I buy a usb wireless network adapter. One that has the driver on the list of 'load' list. I have to buy one anyway, and I'm about about doing things the easiest way possible these days, so If you could just give the the name of an easy adapter, you could make a friend for life. I'm sure there is one, but the google god wont give up the name. Thanks for any help you can give me. old charlie

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, DeaconDog.

I think I can help you out with this one, old son. I run Xenial myself, amongst many other Pups....and what I use on my old Dell lappie (an original 1100 from 2002!) is one of these:-

http://www.netgear.com/home/products/ne ... 3100M.aspx

I can guarantee this'll work with Xenialpup. It uses the old favourite Realtek RTL8192cu chip, which has been in the kernel for a long time.....and Xenial's kernel has the driver for this one built-in. It should be recognised straight-away.

It's a wee bit pricier than many of the Far Eastern 'el cheapos' out there, but most of those use weird drivers that only work with Windows. This one will definitely work with Pup. You can have a read of a mini-review I did of it in the 'Hardware:Networking:Wireless' section, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 994#931994

Hope that's of some use.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Attachments
capture25294.jpg
(58.62 KiB) Downloaded 676 times
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 15 Apr 2018, 22:43, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

DeaconDog

Thanks

#4 Post by DeaconDog »

I read your reply and if my mind were sharp, I'm sure i could do this thing. At this point in my life I'm going to try the plug in adapter, before I take the long involved route' but thank you a lot. Your instruction sound nice and detailed, but I know my mind isn't clear enough these days.

I have an adapter on the way from China, by way of California, I'll try it first. Then if it fails, I'll give your method a try. Its at is a Realtek ordered before I got the first reply. I did some more research and found the driver for it was listed on the network load page so I'm hopeful

Just so you know I got so desperate and frustrated I called a local Office Geek squad to ask them to take a look at the computer. I said Puppy Linux and they ran from the room screaming. So I ask you what kind of Geeks are they.

The equipment built in is a network controller intel corp wireless 3165

I think I removed the driver when I formatted the whatever passes for a harddrive. Maybe I won't need to go forward.

DeaconDog

turn it on

#5 Post by DeaconDog »

okay let me give you some facts its a dell inspiron 11-3162
celetron cpu 3060
the internall emmc drive is a hynix 32 gb system
memory is 2048mb
ddr3L bios
recovery from the harddrive enabled
firmware tpm enabled
boot list option id legacy
Linux kernel is (I686) 4,4,95

addl kernels
davicom dm96xx 10/100 ethrnet devices I had to find and load the dm9601 driver for it to work with my usb adapter for the hard wire net

no usb under kernels

devices
pci devices
network controller intel wireless 3165 (rev 79)

two usb hubs present

Input devices
Dell wireless hot keys

network interfaces.
Lo ip add 127.0.0.

tunlo empty

What did I do. I tried to turn the wifi on even though I said i wouldn't try it. My curiosity got the best of me.

First I found the hot key for and on and off switch.

Then I went into the bios several time before the computer started. I also tried the set up page before the computer started but I could find no switch. If you have a clue i'd be happy to know about it.

I do have the hardwire internet working with a hardwire from the belkin router to the usb of the Dell. I guess you were right the wifi shows up nowhere it isn't turned on I guess . or maybe I have to find the right driver to load like i did for the wired network.

Thanks for any help I have to admit that it is fun, since I have nothing to do all day long.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

What exact version of Xenialpup??????????????????
Always, always, always tell us this basic info!!!!!
What exact version of Puppy Linux.
Thanks for the computer spec info!
That always helps!!!!!

Nothing to do in the bios to get it working, unless you see some option to enable or disable wifi.

Boot Xenialpup.

menu->Setup->Internet Connection Wizard->Wired or wireless LAN->Network Wizard

Does it show a wlan0 for an interface device??????

If yes, it is working.
You just have to do the setup in the network wizard.

If no wlan0.

D0 the on/off combo keys, to turn it on, and check again for wlan0.
Dell manual says:
FN+PrtScr keys turn wifi off/on
(may also have a light that comes on and off to indicate wifi is on or off)

Just be slow and take the steps one at a time.

If something does not work.
What step?
You do what?
You see what?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Terry H

Re: turn it on

#7 Post by Terry H »

DeaconDog wrote:
network controller intel wireless 3165 (rev 79)
The intel 3165 wireless card will work in xenial, the driver is built into the kernel (iwlwifi). Xenial may not have required firmware included for the intel 3165 card.

Ensure that wifi switch is in 'ON'. The following command will show if wifi is ON or BLOCKED

Code: Select all

# rfkill list
0: phy0: wlan
	Soft blocked: no
	Hard blocked: no
If it is switched off, it will appear as Hard blocked : yes

In a Terminal: (Copy and paste following command)

Code: Select all

dmesg | grep wifi
This command will show what is occurring when firmware is being attempted to be loaded.

DeaconDog

you guiys are awsome

#8 Post by DeaconDog »

I got that toy up and running. I want to thank you both. It was a bit of pure luck but you kept me plugging away.

Just in case anyone else runs into this I ordered a couple of usb adapters before coming here for advice. One adapter proved too complicated for my feeble mind. I was about to toss this dell nightmare when the first answer came in. His answerer convince me by explaining that he had one that worked. so I ordered the one he recommended.

So while I waited I persevered I tried to find the on off switch, but alas I failed miserably. I did learn a few thing in the process thanks to my second answer. I did and do appreciate that. Knowledge is power ie teach a man to fish.

Then this morning I got the second adapter it still isn't the one I was recommended. It was a realtek and it worked perfectly right out of the box. My advice to anyone else with the same problems is stay at it. Don't give up, you are better than the geek squad from office depot I promise.

Thanks to you all. And a big atta boy.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, DeaconDog.

Sorry about that! Rather than link you to the NetGear page for that adapter, I should have given you a link to an Amazon or eBay page where you could have just ordered it straight-off.

My apologies.

But, as you've found, the one you did get does work. That's great! Getting on-line is often a major hurdle with many laptops, which by their very nature do need to be 'portable' (and that, of course, means a wifi connection).

Once that's achieved, the rest as they say, just follows automatically. You're now 'connected', so.....enjoy using Puppy!

Mike. :wink:

DeaconDog

networks and sleeping pills

#10 Post by DeaconDog »

yes looking forward to my wife getting her hands on this one. When the net gear arrives tomorrow I plan to use it on a desktop. It's all been a lot of fun. Thanks again mike for helping me without too much technical info.