#21 Post by J_D_ »

retry3 wrote:Thanks,
8Geee
J_D_
Sage
Mike Walsh
greengeek
davids45

Still considering all the input that you have been generous to give.

Have just about decided on a Laser

leading contenders now:
Brother DCP-L2550DW all in one
& Brother HL-L2390DW all in one
subject to change based on further advice.

Anyone have experience with either of these, or any advice at all?

Regards,
retry3

No experience with those 2 models but I have the Brother MFC L2680 and it has been flawless for 17 months. I would have bought ink cartridges 3 times for an inkjet by now. It does the whole all in one thing but I only print from my laptop. For document printing I do not see how you could beat it.

retry3

Printer outcome.

#22 Post by retry3 »

Thanks again to all who offered advice, here is an update.

I bought the Brother HL-L2390dw about a year ago from NewEgg for $140.

I have been unable to get it to work under puppy, despite all the excellent directions here on the Puppy Forums and the less than good directions from Brother. I tried for a long time.

The only way I am able to use it is under Windows, by creating an PuppyPrint file in Windows and and then putting files in it under Puppy. Not always with success, and very tedious.

The printer itself is solidly built, but the operating procedures are arcane and the display window is too small and dim and hard to see.

The printed output is good if you can get it dark enough.

As far as I'm concerned, Puppy and printers just doesn't work out well; I will struggle along with what I have set up now.

Regards
retry3

ozsouth

#23 Post by ozsouth »

I have a hll2395dw - works great - took some setup - especially scanner. I have made you 2390 .pet files. Seems you used 32bit tahrpup & 64bit tahrpup64, so have made .pet files for 32bit AND for 64bit tahr/xenial/bionic pups (NOT 64 bit Slacko pups). Open appropriate .pet in Rox-Filer file manager - will install. Restart X & try adding printer via Setup menu. Scanner is trickier.
Attachments
Brother-HLL2390DW-64.pet
64bit HLL2390DW Brother printer driver
(62.52 KiB) Downloaded 287 times
Brother-HLL2390DW-32.pet
32bit HLL2390DW Brother printer driver
(59.38 KiB) Downloaded 268 times

retry3

Thanks

#24 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth -

What a great reply! I am really impressed with the effort you made to figure things out and make pets; very generous.

It will push my computer skills (almost none) to the limit to try the pets out, but I am determined to do it.
Will advise results, but health probs will slow things to a crawl.

Regards

retry3

Brother Printer install pet ozsouth

#25 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth -

Just to let you know that I am slowly working on this, but am at a standstill and don't know what to do next.

So far:
Downloaded your Brother pet for tahr64. and thought it got installed.

You said to next restart X.

I don't know how to do that, so I rebooted, hoping that would do it.

Could not find or open anything that looked like it was a Brother install program.

Got confused and clicked on some things in archive, I think, and wound up with a file in .programs named Brother64 files which I will try to attach a screen shot of FWIW.

The Brother pet file is listed in my root directory also, I am not sure it really got installed.

At this point I am thinking of deleting everything that has to do with the pet install and starting over with a new download, but I am afraid of messing up something important.

Your thoughts/advice.

I appreciate your efforts on my behalf, very generous of you.

Regards
retry3

ozsouth

#26 Post by ozsouth »

When you download the .pet, default is to place it in root folder.
To be sure it's installed, look under /root/.packages & see if a file with a name including 'brother' and 'files' is there. If it is, proceed:
In the main menu, you need to choose Setup, then Printer Wizard (or similar). This is for all Puppy printer connections - not Brother specific.
From there you need to connect with method depending on whether you are using usb or wireless. Usb should be straightforward, as your printer should be in the list of options to connect.
For wireless, need to know printer ip address & use Appsocket option, following socket syntax suggested on that page.
In each case you will then need to select the make & model next.

retry3

Thanks

#27 Post by retry3 »

Hey ozsouth

SUCCESS ! A million Thanks to you!

Just ran a test page and it looks A- Okay.

Best Regards

retry3