[SOLVED] Which Puppy for old PC?

Booting, installing, newbie
benali72

[SOLVED] Which Puppy for old PC?

#1 Post by benali72 »

There are so many Puppies these days I'm a little confused.

Which Puppy is best for an old Pentium 4 with 1 G memory? That is also very mainstream and standard?

Thank you.
Last edited by benali72 on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

Re: Which Puppy for old PC?

#2 Post by s243a »

benali72 wrote:There are so many Puppies these days I'm a little confused.

Which Puppy is best for an old Pentium 4 with 1 G memory? That is also very mainstream and standard?

Thank you.
I like tahrpup 6.0.6, but if you want knewer you could try Xenial Pup w/ the 4.1 kernal. If you want older you can try Lucid Revitalized. If you want even older then this you can try Anitaos (based on puppy 4.13).

You specs are good enough for quite modern puppies but since 1GB isn't a lot by today's standards what I did is listed some versions of puppylinux above which have been updated somewhat recently and are lighter than the most recent version of puppylinux.

I've left out the slaco and quirky versions since I don't use them but I'm sure someone will recommend some good choices also along the slaco or quirky line.

However, that said one version of slaco that I want to try is X-Slacko Slim. One cool feature that it has is that it can use tinycore packages.

darry19662018

#3 Post by darry19662018 »

You can try my AnitaOS project but there is also the Lucid series ideal on old hardware like that the good thing about revitalized Lucid is the different kernels used. By the way I changed the base of AnitaOS to 4.31 anyway good luck with your puppy journey.

8Geee

#4 Post by 8Geee »

There is also slacko5.7.1 that has an updated kernel to fix (on-going) Meltdown/Spectre concerns.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

darry19662018

#5 Post by darry19662018 »

Yes I running that on a Dell Studio 1555 not nearly as old as a P4 but I imagine that it would do well on a Laptop or PC of that vintage.

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

I have an elderly Dell lappie (which has since been seriously 'modified' :lol:), but, at the time when I installed Tahrpup 6.0.5, had exactly the same specs as your machine.

Although Tahrpup 6.0.6 is the newest version, I've found that that it just won't boot on a P4-based machine; 6.0.6 has all the UEFI stuff. Tahr 6.0.5, however, runs like a dream.

Precise 5.7.1 is also a good choice for that hardware. Xenial 7.0.8.1 (one of the slightly earlier 'betas') will run OK, but it is rather slow. 7.5 is the newest version, but I can't speak from experience, since I've never tried it.

The above are all Pups that I know for definite will run on that hardware, since I've used them all. As a final thought, Slacko 5.7.0 also works OK on that hardware, too.....although you may need to add an extra item to the kernel line in the bootloader, depending on what your graphics chip is.

01Micko lists the work-around under 'Known issues' here in the release notes for Slacko 5.5. It also applies to, and works for, Slacko 5.7.0.

http://01micko.com/slacko5.5/notes.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

So, to re-cap:-

Tahrpup 6.0.5 - definitely http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... .5_PAE.iso

Precise 5.7.1 - definitely http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/precis ... -5.7.1.iso

Xenialpup 7.0.8.1 - definitely http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/te ... 1-uefi.iso

Slacko 5.7.0 - possibly, dependent on graphics http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pu ... .0-PAE.iso

Those are my recommendations, for what they're worth. Hope that helps. The above are all PAE versions, but they've never given me any issues on that computer.

Any chance you can give us a make/model no./exact specs? It would help enormously. Intel used quite a mixture of graphics chips over time with the Pentium 4; some behave themselves better with Pup than others do..... The P4/1G RAM is absolutely fine.....but we do need to know what graphics chip you have.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#7 Post by nic007 »

Wary or Racy with a relatively new Palemoon browser compiled by watchdog.

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

Mike Walsh wrote:Precise 5.7.1 is also a good choice for that hardware.
True but I don't think that Precise 5.7.1 has been updated that recently.

s243a

#9 Post by s243a »

nic007 wrote:Wary or Racy with a relatively new Palemoon browser compiled by watchdog.
This will take more work though right? Because I don't think the ISO has been updated in quite a while for Wary or Racy. I mean yes, the orginal poster could do this with Wary, Racy or Precise 5.7.1 but wouldn't it be easier to recommend something where the ISO already contains a newer browser?

Regarding Wary & Racy, there is also Caroline, which is based on racy but has been updated more recently.

But back to Racy & Wary, if you are going to recommend this approach at least provide a link to instructions on how to properly install a new-ish version of palemoon.

drewmark

Support for an IEEE printer

#10 Post by drewmark »

Greetings, This puppy project is one of my most favorites I must admit. The problem I'm having with the new puppies is that they do not support IEEE printers, CUPS says they are just not there or found. I need to upgrade from Wary soon however I'd be perfectly fine with Wary if I could just update the browser but GTK kit and libraries are just too old. In short this is the coolest distribution ever.

watchdog

#11 Post by watchdog »

s243a wrote:
But back to Racy & Wary, if you are going to recommend this approach at least provide a link to instructions on how to properly install a new-ish version of palemoon.
Open PPM, Configure and Update lists of packages. Restart PPM and install dbus and dbus-glib by PPM. Then install palemoon-27.8.3-p4-glibc219tweak.pet:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 676#973676

There are other updates available in the forum about some known software security vulnerabilities. The last openssl I have compiled for wary is 1.0.2m.

Mike Walsh

#12 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ s243a:-
s243a wrote:
Mike Walsh wrote:Precise 5.7.1 is also a good choice for that hardware.
True but I don't think that Precise 5.7.1 has been updated that recently.
Fair comment. Well, for Precise, although I run a bevy of browsers, the two that are easiest to install are Oscar's Iron 58.....and Firefox 52esr.

Iron 58 is a Chrome 'clone', based on Chromium 58, since the last 32-bit Chrome offered by Google was 48.0.2564.116 (which I still use, though it is getting a wee bit dated now.) Oscar's 58 is more up-to-date; since it's a .pet, just download & click-to-install. Simple.

(Any newer than 58, and Iron (like Chromium) starts wanting a newer glibc, newer libstdc++.so.6, newer NSS libraries......etc, etc.)

Firefox 52esr is my own package, which I originally built a few months ago for somebody else. This I've just updated to the latest 52.7.3esr today, and it was built in Precise, so should be very straight-forward. It includes Oscar's 'libpulse' workaround for the audio, and the /root/.cache and /root/.mozilla directories are already in place; just need to be 'populated'! Once again, since it's a .pet, just download & click-to-install. Easy-peasy.

Oscar's Iron 58 can be found here:- https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1

...and my Firefox 52.7.3esr can be found here:- http://www.mediafire.com/file/mchercjh2 ... .3-esr.pet , at my MediaFire a/c.

Both of these will run in 'stock' Precise 5.7.1 as is, with no further 'tweaking' necessary. Since I always install my browsers to /opt (a nice 'catch-all' directory), FF52esr shouldn't interfere with anything else. 571's built-in browser is a horrendously dated version of SeaMonkey.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PepperFlash 'auto-updater' .pet package (with grateful thanks to our Russian colleague sfs) can be found here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/p3e52aq ... o-updaters

Just download the relevant version for Iron. (I had to do different versions because every Chromium 'clone' expects to find Pepper in a different place.....unlike the various Mozilla-based browsers, which all look for Flashplayer in one, standard location.)

Flash can, of course, be found in various places on the forum, but the easiest to use is probably Oscar's, which he keeps regularly updated. You can find it here:-

http://smokey01.com/OscarTalks/

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 18:14, edited 7 times in total.

nic007

#13 Post by nic007 »

s243a wrote:
nic007 wrote:Wary or Racy with a relatively new Palemoon browser compiled by watchdog.
This will take more work though right? Because I don't think the ISO has been updated in quite a while for Wary or Racy. I mean yes, the orginal poster could do this with Wary, Racy or Precise 5.7.1 but wouldn't it be easier to recommend something where the ISO already contains a newer browser?

Regarding Wary & Racy, there is also Caroline, which is based on racy but has been updated more recently.

What is worthwhile updating besides the browser? Watchdog has made a Palemoon.pet with the updated libraries required for Wary, Racy. Install like any other .pet or use as sfs-addon. When I use puppy, I still use Racy eventhough I also have Tahr 605. Racy is just so small, lightning fast and fun to work with. I did download watchdog's palemoon compilation and it works well (although I use Opera Mini for general browsing almost exclusively).

benali72

Wary.... for a start

#14 Post by benali72 »

Thanks for all the great advice.

I started off with Wary, and that works great. Now that I've got that going I feel at leisure to try some of the other suggestions here. I think I'll live boot Tahrpup and see how that goes.

Thank you all for your help.

BTW, I found this webpage excellent direction for old Pentium 4 and M computers --

h[url]ttp://puppylinux.org/wikka/WhatpuppyLinuxisbestforyou[/url]

drewmark

#15 Post by drewmark »

Thanks very much for this Watchdog. The palemoon-27.8.3-p4-glibc219tweak.pet file worked on my Wary PC.