Wine on xenialpup64 7.5 (Solved)

Using applications, configuring, problems
number77

Wine on xenialpup64 7.5 (Solved)

#1 Post by number77 »

Hello
It is probably me but I cant get wine running on xenailpup64 7.5. I did install from ppm version v2.2 3.2 and it said it would be in utility. I cant find it and cant run it.
I have a dell vostro 2.2ghz, 2gb ram, frugal. What am I doing wrong to get wine to work.
Thanks for any assistance.
number77
Last edited by number77 on Tue 17 Apr 2018, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

drunkjedi

#2 Post by drunkjedi »

Type winecfg on command line.
That would create a wine profile.

Run your apps as "wine /path/to/exe" from command line.

number77

#3 Post by number77 »

drunkjedi wrote:Type winecfg on command line.
That would create a wine profile.

Run your apps as "wine /path/to/exe" from command line.
That was quick, thanks.
I had v2 and v2.2 installed so I have removed both and installed v1.6-amd64 1.62. winecfg in terminal gives file not found.
On xenialpup 7.5 with wine 1.6 installed.
( winecfg gives winecfg
/usr/bin/winecfg: line 52: exec: wine: not found}
Hope the {} are correct.

drunkjedi

#4 Post by drunkjedi »

Sorry for late reply, I am at work.

The error of wine not found is strange, wine and winecfg should be installed by the same package. Are you sure wine and it's dependencies all installed without any error?

I don't use wine much.
Just last week tried it.
But I installed wine 3.0 by loading wine sfs file in Fatdog.

I will have to look at xenial later when I get home from work.

You can try the sfs and see if it runs,
http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contri ... i686-1.sfs

It's 200Mb though....

drunkjedi

#5 Post by drunkjedi »

Maybe try something from this thread
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 58&t=88711
Or post a message there for guidance.

mikeslr

#6 Post by mikeslr »

Hi number777,

Xenialpup64 isn't FatDog. If I recall correctly, the FatDog is built to provide multi-architecture, that is the ability to run both 64 and 32 bit applications. At any rate, Xenialpup64 isn't. In order to run* Wine on Xenialpup64 you first have to download, load and configure the 32-bit Compatibility SFS. To download the 32-bit Compatibilty SFS open a terminal and type "sfsget", then select it from the list. IIRC, it will download directly to /mnt/home. If not, move it there, Right-Click it and select SFS-Load.

After the Compatibility SFS is loaded, enter the following code in a terminal "ldconfig" -- without the quotes. Best to cut & paste. I think the first letter of that code is a small "EL". It should take a noticeable amount of time before the terminal finishes setting up the 32-bit environment. If the terminal prompt becomes available immediately, something went wrong. Try again. Also, if you're using a SaveFile rather than a SaveFolder, the space required by both the 32-bit environment and Wine is going to exceed 500 Mbs exclusive of any applications you install. Each application will need 3 times its download size. [One of the reasons I use Wine-portable. See this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452 and read the beginning of that thread for instructions. Wine-portable also requires the 32-bit compatibility SFS].

Drunkjedi is correct in that after you've installed Wine, you must enter the command winecfg on command line. See this post regarding further information about setting up Wine, including instruction for making certain your previous efforts haven't left files on your system which can cause problem. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 468#962468

When you've gotten Wine working, don't forget to execute a SAVE to preserve your effort.

Regarding the absence of menus to start wine applications, see this thread: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 255#882255

mikesLr

* Version2013 has been publishing a 64-bit wine package, [IIRC, named WOW] but I am uncertain as to its current utility. As far as I know, it doesn't run 32-bit Windows programs, and I don't have any 64-bit Windows programs.

drunkjedi

#7 Post by drunkjedi »

Hi mike,

I thought 32bit wine will run 32bit apps, and 64 bit wine will run both 32 and 64 bit apps.
You just need to create separate wine prefixes by running command, "WINEPREFIX=prefix-name WINARCH=32/64-spec winecfg".

then run the windows app with proper prefix :
WINEPREFIX=prefix-name wine TheApp.exe

But I may be wrong.
I haven't used wine much.

Also for menu entries take a look at what I found.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=113145

number77

#8 Post by number77 »

Hi Mike
It seems I already had 32 bit compatibility in mnt/home.I sfs loaded it then
(ldconfig
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so and libpng.so.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.0 and libpng.so.2 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.2 and libpng.so.2.1.0.8 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.2.1.0.8 and libpng.so.3 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.3 and libpng.so.3.22.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
ldconfig: libraries libpng.so.3.22.0 and libpng12.so.0.22.0 in directory /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu have same soname but different type.
root# winecfg
/usr/bin/winecfg: /usr/bin/wine: /bin/dash: bad interpreter: No such file or directory
/usr/bin/winecfg: line 46: /usr/bin/wine: Success)
What does this mean?

number77

#9 Post by number77 »

I have been playing with your advise and now have wine working on xenialpup64 with 32 bit compatibility mode.
Thank you drunkjedi and mikeslr for your help, without which I would be at a full stop.
All the best
number77

mikeslr

#10 Post by mikeslr »

Hi number777,

Glad you got it running.

Hi drunkjedi,

You may be right about Wine64. I only tried it once but couldn't get it running as is. I was thinking of using it to rebuild wine-portable. But not having any 64-bit Windows programs made the idea somewhat academic. So rather than spending time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong, I rebuilt portable-wine using Version2013's Wine-3.3_v2.1 pet. Other than taking up a little less hard-drive space, I haven't noticed either any advantage or disadvantage with regard to the portable-wine-2.1.6 I've published, link here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 452#971452 so I haven't published it.

Instructions for building your own portable-wine can be found here, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 612#904612. But if anyone has reason to believe that their system would be materially improved by the 3.3 over the 2.1.6 wine, you can email me and I'll add it to my files on mediafire.

I plan to revisit version2013's then current 64 and 32 pets 'somewhere down the road' and provide an updated portable-wine. So, drunkjedi, your advice was appreciated.

Thanks,

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, all.

FWIW, the version of WINE in use does, of course, depend entirely on whether it works with your desired Windows apps. Mine are all XP-era anyway, so 32-bit by definition, really. By current standards, 1.7.51 is pretty old.....but it runs all my Windoze apps without issue.

Not one single version of WINE since that release will work 100% with my apps and my hardware. So I stick with what works for me.

WINE is also rather well-known for introducing regressions along with newer versions.....

(*shrug*)

Mike. :wink: