Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 21:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
How to use Brother DCP-J140 wireless printer?
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
Scott99

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:11    Post subject:  How to use Brother DCP-J140 wireless printer?
Subject description: DCP-N140W drivers

I have a brother DCP-J140W wireless printers. I've downloaded linux-brprinter-installer.gz. The brother instructions, http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpj140w_all&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625, are for a linux os and use linux commands. I'm running Puppy Linux Slacko 6.3.0.

I get confused when I have to manually install programs because I'm used to typing Ubuntu commands in the command lines and I have yet to find an understandable compilation of puppy linux commands. For example, I know you don't have to use sudo commands in puppy, or do you. Please keep in mind that not everyone who dabbles in alternative operating systems is a programmer, or even that knowledgeable about programming languages. If I'm not clear or if you need additional information, please let me know. Once again, thanks for your patience and understanding. Scott
Marv

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 10:57    Post subject: Re: Step by step instructions on how to install Brother DCP-J140
Subject description: DCP-N140W drivers

Scott99 wrote:
I have a brother DCP-J140W wireless printers. I've downloaded linux-brprinter-installer.gz. The brother instructions, http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadhowto.aspx?c=as_ot&lang=en&prod=dcpj140w_all&os=128&dlid=dlf006893_000&flang=4&type3=625, are for a linux os and use linux commands. I'm running Puppy Linux Slacko 6.3.0.

I get confused when I have to manually install programs because I'm used to typing Ubuntu commands in the command lines and I have yet to find an understandable compilation of puppy linux commands. For example, I know you don't have to use sudo commands in puppy, or do you. Please keep in mind that not everyone who dabbles in alternative operating systems is a programmer, or even that knowledgeable about programming languages. If I'm not clear or if you need additional information, please let me know. Once again, thanks for your patience and understanding. Scott

Here's a great starting point: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=444080#444080. Follow the link to 'brother'. IIRC when I installed my Brother laserprinter I just clicked on the two downloaded debs and installed them directly and then with the firewall turned off CUPS found my printer. However; this step from that link was vital:

However, in newer Puppies with CUPS 1.4, the URI may look like :
Code:
lpd://BRN_B7DD77/BINARY_P1

When you try to print, CUPS will fail with the error message "Unable to locate". This is because CUPS needs a way of looking up the IP address that matches the printer name.

To solve this problem, open the file /etc/hosts and add a line like:
Code:
192.168.2.15 BRN_B7DD77
Where the IP is the address of your printer.

Cheers,

Pups currently in kennel Very Happy LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64, and LxPupBB for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS. Now tazpup for puzzles Smile
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 11:10    Post subject:  

I do not know about linux-brprinter-installer but I suggest the official procedure for brother printers as explained at:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42533

Download and install debbi-1.3.pet. Download the deb lpr and cupswrapper drivers from:

http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/linux/en/download_prn.html#DCP-J140W

Then run in the same dir where you downloaded the drivers:

Code:
debbi dcpj140wlpr-1.1.3-6.i386.deb
debbi dcpj140wcupswrapper-1.1.3-6.i386.deb

Then open your browser at "localhost:631" and add your printer.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Mon 09 Apr 2018, 23:19    Post subject:  

Scott99, Sudo won't work in Puppy because Puppy already runs as root all the time.
Scott99

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 08:46    Post subject: Printer not responding
Subject description: Can't get the printer to work

OK, so I've download and installed the correct printer drivers. I opened Leafpad wrote a test note, hit print and received the message, DCPJ140W, the printer is not responding. I looked at the replies I've received and tried what's recommended with no success. Thanks in advance. Scott
J_D_

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr 2018, 23:52    Post subject:  

Did you open CUPS and enter the IP address of your printer ? For the record I have no computer skills either but got my Brother wireless working withe help from this site.
p310don

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 00:36    Post subject:  

Did you follow watchdog's instructions above?

Follow those, and it will work. Try and install the .deb driver without following the instructions and running debbi, and it won't work.
perdido

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 06:23    Post subject:  

p310don wrote:
Did you follow watchdog's instructions above?

Follow those, and it will work. Try and install the .deb driver without following the instructions and running debbi, and it won't work.

+1

watchdog

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 07:39    Post subject:  

How did you add your printer in the Cups interface? You might let Cups discover the printer pressing the "Find new printers" button and then choosing the right installed driver. I'm not expert about wireless printers but you can read the advice at the second post.
8Geee

PostPosted: Thu 19 Apr 2018, 11:30    Post subject:  

he is using slacko6.3, debian commands might not work.
he needs slacko commands.

Regards
8Geee

Linux user #498913

Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Scott99

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jul 2018, 09:10    Post subject:  

I was finally able to start over, follow the instructions step by step, and successfully print a test page. Thank you all for your assistance. Scott
Page 1 of 1 [11 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware » Printers
Jump to: