BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
fredx181

BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

#1 Post by fredx181 »

*** BionicDog (Ubuntu 18.04 'Bionic Beaver' LTS) 32 bit and 64 bit ***
(Ubuntu minimal "live")

=================================================================================
EDIT 2018-08-27, New ! Cinnamon version (64-bit) by ETP, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 63#1003063
=================================================================================

EDIT 2018-06-04 New Release, info and download links updated below, see changes info here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 470#994470

BionicDog is a variant of "DebianDog" with the difference that it's Ubuntu based.
BionicDog WebPage

See second post for Changes and Fixes information

Full access to Ubuntu repositories by using apt-get (from terminal) or from Synaptic Package Manager (GUI)

Openbox is the main window-manager, the Desktop GUI setup is very much like DebianDog Jessie 64-bit

Login details:
root with password root (default automatic login)
puppy with password puppy

Specifications:
Built from an absolute minimal Ubuntu by using debootstrap.
Kernel: 4.15.0-22-generic
Boot Method: porteus-boot , see examples Here
Default WM - OpenBox
(with different choice of Desktop modes: tint2 icon-panel, cairo-dock or rox-pinboard icons, to choose, run 'Desktop Manager' from Menu)
Tint2 bottom panel or cairo-dock.
Default File Manager - pcmanfm with option to use rox.
Default Internet Browser - Firefox Quantum v60.0.1 (running by default with apulse to enable sound).
Menu provided by Obmenu-generator (perl script)
The new volumeicon uses too much RAM (even more than openbox!) so replaced by the light alsamixer-tray (from rcrsn51)

Full LZ4 squashfs support (compression and loading modules)
Contains support for scripts programmed with iuplua, (initiative from wiak) see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 611#987611

Systemd is enabled by default.

Download:
Iso 32-bit: BionicDog32_2018-06-04.iso Size: 306MB
Md5sum: BionicDog32_2018-06-04.md5
Iso 32-bit, all fimware included (e.g. for WiFi): BionicDog32_2018-06-04-firmware_all.iso Size: 406MB
Md5sum: BionicDog32_2018-06-04-firmware_all.md5
DEVX 32-bit: 61-DEVX-BionicDog32_2018-06-04.squashfs

Iso 64-bit: BionicDog64_2018-06-04.iso Size: 315MB
Md5sum: BionicDog64_2018-06-04.md5
Iso 64-bit, all fimware included (e.g. for WiFi): BionicDog64_2018-06-04-firmware_all.iso Size: 415MB
Md5sum: BionicDog64_2018-06-04-firmware_all.md5
DEVX 64-bit: 61-DEVX-BionicDog64_2018-06-04_amd64.squashfs
Cinnamon version by ETP:
BionicDog64-Cinnamon-ETP_2018-08-27.iso Size: 657MB
BionicDog64-Cinnamon-ETP_2018-08-27.md5

Mirrors (thanks ally):
Iso 32-bit: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -06-04.iso
Iso 32-bit, all fimware included (e.g. for WiFi): https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... re_all.iso
Iso 64-bit: https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... -06-04.iso
Iso 64-bit, all fimware included (e.g. for WiFi): https://archive.org/download/Puppy_Linu ... re_all.iso

Locales: 99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs

Separate squashfs with firmware (e.g. for WiFi): 99-bionic_linux-firmware.squashfs

BionicDog custom package repository: 32-bit and 64-bit

See here for how to boot BionicDog with (older) kernel 4.4.0
How-To install NVIDIA driver, thanks ETP

Thanks very much to everyone who has been involved with DebianDog or StretchDog, specially Toni (saintless), William (mcewanw), Terry (sunburnt), Bill (rcrsn51), dancytron, belham2, backi, wiak, The Flying Cat and all who helped by giving feedback on the DebianDog and XenialDog threads.

Fred

Openbox with tint2-panels:

Openbox with Cairo-dock:
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 01 Dec 2018, 21:41, edited 19 times in total.

fredx181

#2 Post by fredx181 »

*** Changes and Fixes to be done from 2018-06-04 on ***
1) Bug: the root password is wrong (or not set) on 64-bit version, see more info and how to fix here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 228#995228
2) Bug: Problems when installing i386 packages on 64-bit, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 64#1003464
(for wine in this case)
And see here for a fix:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 75#1003475
3) Bug, firefox does not start after updating itself, see for fix here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 93#1021193
4) Bug, wex (screencast app) included doesn't work, to fix, simply update the wex package:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 83#1009983

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Older version 2018-04-21 changes and fixes info:

1) Bugfix for booting with encrypted save file (with kernel 4.15.0-15-generic):
32-bit : download initrd1.xz from Here
64-bit :download initrd1.xz from Here
And replace in frugal install "casper" directory
Also changed "upgrade-kernel" so it creates a initrd1.xz with support for encrypted savefile
EDIT 2018-04-24, had to make a fix again for upgrade-kernel (EDIT v1.0.6 now) because Ubuntu made a major change in kernel package names, e.g. linux-image-extra is now linux-modules-extra :roll: :?
Install upgrade-kernel version 1.0.6 with synaptic or from terminal with apt-get:

Code: Select all

apt-get update
apt-get install upgrade-kernel  # will install v1.0.6
2) Fixed dependency settings for packages: mpv and gmplayer. (included in custom repos)
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by fredx181 on Sun 10 Mar 2019, 18:54, edited 14 times in total.

wiak

#3 Post by wiak »

Just wondering why you don't instead create a mklive-Bionic similar to mklive-Stretch, or is that difficult or a lot of extra work to do?

wiak

fredx181

#4 Post by fredx181 »

wiak wrote:Just wondering why you don't instead create a mklive-Bionic similar to mklive-Stretch, or is that difficult or a lot of extra work to do?

wiak
Maybe I will make a mklive-bionic later, had to overcome the (many) problems for making BionicDog work properly first.
It will probably be much extra work since Ubuntu is so different from Debian and I'm not so sure if there's much interest in a mklive-bionic.

Fred

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Hi Everybody !
I ask myself if it is worth all those hard work which would be necessary making another mklive-bionic script .Would be somehow a bit of an Overkill in my Opinion .
Think with all those Dog Options ,which are now existing, one can keep all the Customers completely satisfied .
For myself , i am using one Deb-Dog created with mklive-script ......using Xenial-Dog and Bionic-Dog... all those Dogs with E17 Enlightenment Desktop ......totally happy with that Dog Meute .
So for me , to be honest ......i don`t really need another mklive-bionic script .

Regards!!!.... all you Boys and Girls .!

sszindian

BionicDog 64bit

#6 Post by sszindian »

Tried the 64bit version of BionicDog... refused to load (several times) and gave the 'Kernel Panic' and hung! (md was checked for download and OK... this try was from a live CD and I would have put a savefile on the HDD if it loaded)
Is it my system can't handle this build?

My System:
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU E2180 @ 2.00GHz
Socket Designation: XU1 PROCESSOR
Manufacturer: Intel
Voltage: 1.2 V
External Clock: 800 MHz
Max Speed: 6000 MHz
Current Speed of Core 0:2000 MHz, 1:1600 MHz
Core Count: 2
Thread Count: 2
64-bit capable

>>>---Indian------->
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

wiak

#7 Post by wiak »

backi wrote: I ask myself if it is worth all those hard work which would be necessary making another mklive-bionic script .Would be somehow a bit of an Overkill in my Opinion .
Think with all those Dog Options ,which are now existing, one can keep all the Customers completely satisfied.
Indeed, it would depend on the amount of work involved and I was admittedly, selfishly writing from the point of view of someone whose main interest in Linux is in development work for which a 'recipe' in the form of a script is much more interesting. Basically I am in disagreement with hamadoudou Pelo that Puppy forum is here only for Customers (in which case there would be no Puppy nor Dogs since needs developers to create/develop them - though never as some kind of gods...halleluja - Leonard Cohen version... :-) ). Certainly there is space for both. Some might say that without 'customers' there would be no point of there being developers, but that is missing the point that developers (in a different sense) are customers too ;-)

But as far as a useful and working distribution is concerned I too am perfectly happy and delighted Fred has built a BionicDog iso and ask no more than that (actually I don't actually ask that either - I am just glad for it).

Nowadays, with the android, iphone, facebook generations (which is most people basically), creativity and social discourse seems to becoming limited to a world of 'customers'. Personally I miss forums of creative people who are customers in the sense that they are there to share and learn from each other. Hamapelo can buy a customer-centred product from MicroS or Apple or Samsung etc/Google and his world would surely be perfect for his actual needs(?). I myself don't develop anything at all with customers in mind (other than my own family of customers) but rather to contribute ideas and development work to others whose hobby is Linux - but each to their own, and like I said, there is room for everyone except, I feel, for those who moan about developers discussing technical matters on the Puppy forum (as if it is a 'customers' forum - crazy idea... I do not believe that was why it started and I for one will never pander to the idea/influence of how many 'customers' may or may not be interested in what is being developed - otherwise it does all become like a god creator being brown-nose worshipped - and, come to think of it, there does seem to be more and more of that insipid behaviour on the forum). Oh well, BionicDog (64bit version) been what I personally have been looking forward to - I'm trying to give up on tech-stunting views such as the notions that pulseaudio and systemd are evil and easy enough to use all these sinful modern ideas in the Dogs (if so desired)!

wiak

hamoudoudou

Do you want me to taste Bionicpup ???

#8 Post by hamoudoudou »

the great misunderstanding is that we need developers to develop what we need, not what they like.. Sure develop a Mac Lareen formule 1 race car is more pleasant that a 2CV Citroen or a Wolkswagen (peoplecar in english)
I am not sure that we miss a Bionic Puppy Linux 32 bits or 64 bits.., or a livecd BionicDog..
Nevertheless, here they are.. My XenialDog was elected for a long time (LTS)
How to choose between Dogs ? an election by public users, or only by devs, as elections in USA (in France everybody vote for president or deputés..)
Puppy and dogs perhaps will be te only distributions having a version 32 bits for Bionic. Ubuntu will only release 64 bits daily-CDS

hamoudoudou

We need stewards (Helpers)

#9 Post by hamoudoudou »

i am sure you understand..Even is your car was gratis, zero dolar, zero pound, zero dirham, would you change you car each time a new version is built ? You want to drive your car, with your family for seaside holidays... Not to spend all days in factories to check new models on drawings;;
We need repair stations. Gazoline;; Roads..
Bionic Dog has no support, excepted when fredx181 is pregnant.People post for help on Puppy Linux Facebook.. do you enjoy it ? (Puppy Linux is opened, not as US with closed borders)

PS : Dogs are a Nice OS.. really
Attachments
budapest.jpg
Puppy has tecnical stations all around the world, for local overhaul
(71.97 KiB) Downloaded 20996 times
Last edited by hamoudoudou on Wed 25 Apr 2018, 08:25, edited 1 time in total.

0xdawg

Re: Do you want me to taste Bionicpup ???

#10 Post by 0xdawg »

hamoudoudou wrote:the great misunderstanding is that we need developers to develop what we need, not what they like.. Sure develop a Mac Lareen formule 1 race car is more pleasant that a 2CV Citroen or a Wolkswagen (peoplecar in english)
I am not sure that we miss a Bionic Puppy Linux 32 bits or 64 bits.., or a livecd BionicDog..
Nevertheless, here they are.. My XenialDog was elected for a long time (LTS)
How to choose between Dogs ? an election by public users, or only by devs, as elections in USA (in France everybody vote for president or deputés..)
Puppy and dogs perhaps will be te only distributions having a version 32 bits for Bionic. Ubuntu will only release 64 bits daily-CDS

i am sure you understand..Even is your car was gratis, zero dolar, zero pound, zero dirham, would you change you car each time a new version is built ? You want to drive your car, with your family for seaside holidays... Not to spend all days in factories to check new models on drawings;;
We need repair stations. Gazoline;; Roads..
Bionic Dog has no support, excepted when fredx181 is pregnant.People post for help on Puppy Linux Facebook.. do you enjoy it ? (Puppy Linux is opened, not as US with closed borders)

PS : Dogs are a Nice OS.. really
Will you stop those nonsense postings, please :roll:
tyvm
[size=75][b][url]https://theoatmeal.com/comics/believe[/url][/b][/size]

xyz

Bionic behaviour official release date apr 26

#11 Post by xyz »

Bionic behaviour official release date apr 26
The 'main' archive of Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will be supported for 5 years until April 2023

fredx181

#12 Post by fredx181 »

sszindian wrote:Tried the 64bit version of BionicDog... refused to load (several times) and gave the 'Kernel Panic' and hung! (md was checked for download and OK... this try was from a live CD and I would have put a savefile on the HDD if it loaded)
Is it my system can't handle this build?
Hi sszindian I can't understand why you get the kernel panic, booting goes fine for me with CD.
The only thing that comes in mind is that you possibly have a "casper" folder on the root of some HDD partition with data inside (if it is "casper" e.g. from Xenialdog or other Ubuntu then it would conflict running live cd because when searching for data, hard disk has priority).

Fred

dancytron

#13 Post by dancytron »

I installed this and everything seems to be fine. Posting from it now.

Speed is good, seems the same as DD Stretch.

Good job as usual.

Dan

wiak

#14 Post by wiak »

New version of weX audio, webcam, screencast recorder uploaded. Mainly just some minor tooltip documentation changes but also with different installation defaults (such as gifenc-yad immediately available from one of the utility buttons).

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 694#989694

wiak

backi

#15 Post by backi »

Hi Dancytron wrote !
I installed this and everything seems to be fine. Posting from it now.
Speed is good, seems the same as DD Stretch.
Good job as usual.
A new Dog in Town.
What to say .. only have to agree .......

Created the newest Mediaplayers Vlc and Audacious as Squash Files with Apt2Sfs .....works like charm .
Only one thing i changed was the Web-Browser .
I am not quite satisfied with Firefox-Quantum .But that`s Mozillas Fault .
Maybe because i am using single Core Machine... Pale-Moon seems to work somehow snappier for me .
I`m a happy User of Bionic now.

Thanks a lot Fred..... and all you guys involved in developing and maintaining " The Dogs " ......

" THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD!!!! " .

Friendly Greetings from merry Intensive Care Unit Madhouse New Kalifatistan..... formerly known as Germany .
Or should we better call it Gaza Extended ???

I think they`re coming to take me away ha...haaaa....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxVkAhto0Ag

fredx181

#16 Post by fredx181 »

@ dancytron and backi
Thanks for testing !

@All, for info: To be honest I think it was a little bit too early sharing BionicDog ISO's.
I assumed there wouldn't be any major changes by Ubuntu, but there were recently (e.g. kernel package names changed, see also EDIT at Changes and Fixes Info )
So probably in a month (or two) I'll update the ISO's to more stable.

@ wiak
Thanks for the new weX. I've added it to the custom repositories (Xenial, Stretch, Bionic)
I've changed the control file by adding dependencies: ffmpeg, scrox and re-packaged.
I thought that would be OK for you, just tell me if not.

Fred

AndresC2

#17 Post by AndresC2 »

Hi Fred :D !

Congratulations for BionicDog!

Ubuntu drop 32 bit support

how do you build bionic 32bit?

do you have some script with debootstrap build bionic?

that linux-image i386 you install with apt-get in bionic?

thanks Fred.

fredx181

#18 Post by fredx181 »

Hi Andres,
Congratulations for BionicDog!

Ubuntu drop 32 bit support
Thanks! Well, Ubuntu dropped support for the 32-bit Desktop edition (only 64-bit)
http://releases.ubuntu.com/18.04/
But there's still package repository for 32-bit, so you can build your own.
how do you build bionic 32bit?

do you have some script with debootstrap build bionic?

that linux-image i386 you install with apt-get in bionic?
I don't have a script, but just installed debootstrap package from Ubuntu (with bionic support):
http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo ... 95_all.deb
And then to set up the base system:

mkdir -p bionic/chroot && cd bionic &&
debootstrap --arch=i386 --variant=minbase bionic chroot http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/
And I guess you know about what should follow, e.g. mound bind dev, proc sys etc... and chroot into bionic/chroot.

Yes the linux-image i386 I installed with apt-get in bionic chroot.
(but Note: just recently they changed extra kernel packages to linux-modules-extra (can't remember now the exact name))

EDIT: For info: I noticed that "live-boot" can be used on Ubuntu now (same as Debian), therefore install the live-boot package (previously was only "casper")

Fred

The Flying Cat

#19 Post by The Flying Cat »

I propose using tint2's executor capabilities as volume icon. One can set it up via tint's gui settings.
Command is (best symbol I could find without emojis)

echo -n '♪ ' && amixer get Master | awk -F"[][]" '/dB/ { print $2 }'
You can also use scripts in the command field. Couldn't really find any of those) Not that simple at least - only some extra fancy stuff. Executor probably can be used for more than volume control.
Hover mouse over it and scroll up - volume up, scroll down - volume down. Middle click - mute toggle. Left click - alsamixer.
Downside - no indication of muting. Looks like script is needed for that functionality
Attachments
1.png
(9.05 KiB) Downloaded 2660 times
2.png
(19.45 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
3.png
(5.85 KiB) Downloaded 2713 times

fredx181

#20 Post by fredx181 »

The Flying Cat wrote:I propose using tint2's executor capabilities as volume icon. One can set it up via tint's gui settings.
That works nicely, thanks!
For who wants to try easy, here's attached, modified with volume icon "tint2rc_crunchbang.gz" (remove fake .gz).
Replace in ~/.config/tint2/ (better backup first "tint2rc_crunchbang")
Then restart tint2, from terminal:

tint2restart
Fred
Attachments
tint2rc_crunchbang.gz
remove fake .gz and replace in ~/.config/tint2/
(6.06 KiB) Downloaded 570 times