Lucid Puppy Revitalized as 5.2.8.7 - Nov., 2017 - Final

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sindi

Lucid 2016 not working on DELL Inspiron 1150 with 855GM

#1021 Post by sindi »

Lupu starts to boot then when it loads X, the screen goes blank and I cannot Ctrl-Alt-Backspace or switch to terminal mode.

Lupu 525 works from CD, but not when installed frugally to HD. Same problem as Lupu 2016.

Video chip is 855GM. 72003 laptop. 1024x768.

Wary 5.5 (kernel 2.6.32) and Tahr 605 (kernel 3.14) have no such problems with X. Should I try lupu3 (2.6.33 kernel) or a Sulu with kernel 3?

Debiandog Wheezy (kernel 3.2) works.

Framebuffer mode for terminal (fbcon) works only with 8-bit color vga=773. Higher modes are not supported because of only 1MB video memory allocated to framebuffer. Tahr fbcon works. So does DebianDog Wheezy fbcon.

Full color 24-bit works in Xorg. (I did not try Xvesa). More video RAM is allocated to it than to framebuffer.

rerwin

Re: Lucid 2016 not working on DELL Inspiron 1150 with 855GM

#1022 Post by rerwin »

sindi,
Thanks for your report.

Try booting it with i915.modeset=0.

If it still fails, boot with nox and try xorgwizard to find something that works.
Richard

sindi

855GM intel driver buggy lupu2016, ok kernel 2.6.32 or later

#1023 Post by sindi »

The automatic setup program chooses Intel driver. It crashes. i180 and fbdev do not work either, with or without i810.modeset=0 or i915.modeset=0. I removed fbcon, no help.

This is a cheap and buggy video chip with only 1MB RAM available for framebuffer. console framebuffer with vga=773 works with wary, but more than 8-bit color does not.

In someone's Toshiba laptop, the intel driver in worked Ubuntu 9, but not in Ubuntu 10 or 11.

Lupu I think uses the one from 10. Even if it works, the older driver is 'buggy and unstable'.

In Lupu 5.2.5 (older driver) it worked until I changed time zone or window manager, then crashed, consistently.

When running xorgwizard in lupu 2016, it kept crashing.

Wary Intel driver works - kernel 2.6.32.59.
Intel driver in lupu3hd - kernel 2.6.37.2 - also works

Hopefully fbcon will also work on the laptop. Sulu1 and Sulu2 fbcon did not work on a 2005 laptop and this is 2003. If not I will use wary.

Can I use the save files from regular lupu with lupu3hd?

sindi

855GM intel driver crashes in lupu3hd but works in sulu1

#1024 Post by sindi »

Sulu1 intel driver seems stable and fbcon works with vga=773.

I had a similar problem with DELL B130 from 2005 also fixed with sulu1, but
fbcon was not working. 900 series intel not helped by modeset=0 either.

Both are considered low-end laptops but I like the non-glare screens and the keyboards are acceptable. Everything else works with linux including sound.
Heavy duty rubber feet and a chargeable main battery. I only had to replace the hard drive, add a wifi card and another 256MB RAM.

Fred has provided browser-free mpv-based youtube-viewer package (CDE) that works with wary and tahr, which I am eager to try with this slow CPU/GPU.

Youtube at 360p with palemoon is extremely jerky. 240p is okay.

On a slightly faster laptop I can play 480p with the viewer, and only 360p in a browser.[/quote][/code]

rerwin

Re: 855GM intel driver buggy lupu2016, ok kernel 2.6.32 or later

#1025 Post by rerwin »

sindi wrote:Can I use the save files from regular lupu with lupu3hd?
Maybe. I would try it as an experiment, assuming you are considering working with the same releases (2016? or 2016 > 2017) and only changing the save file name.

Be sure to run 'remaster_package_check' if it does not run automatically, to identify any duplicate files or conflicting file versions (between the pup_ro2 and pup_rw layers).

sindi

copying save file(s) from lupu2016 to sulu1

#1026 Post by sindi »

I did a cp -a ./lupusave/* to sulusave

Booted to sulu1.

This save-file was last used with version 528 of Puppy.
Hit the Enter key.... to upgrade this file....

(I think I got this same message the first time I booted sulu1 without any save file and it asked me to manually update
93 conflicting files, one at a time).

X failed to start. (Save files were from a different laptop with different graphics chip).

xorgwizard worked.

remaster_package_check. No packages to be uninstalled.

Checking for conflicting or duplicate files....

There are 16 files ... (that can be) removed.
Remove all of the duplicate files. Yes

Conflicts: radeon_drv.so (irrelevant here - this is intel graphics).
Removed the conflicting file.

None of my changes to lupu2016 were saved.

Next time I did NOT remove duplicate files.

I still do not have the changes from lupu2016.

Any suggestions other than starting over (adding lynx, fbi, various scripts, jwm, fbcon...)?
I can use Wary.

sindi

sulu1 works but no fbcon

#1027 Post by sindi »

I was asked whether to remove 10 duplicate files and sulu1 works.

rc.local contains modprobe fbcon but there is no module fbcon.

I see framebuffer console while sulu1 is booting but not in a terminal after booting.
I don't understand how this works.

Sulu2 switches from framebuffer to regular (large character) console while booting.
Sulu3 has dpup wheezy kernel, but no fbcon after it boots.

I use console framebuffer most of the time.

Wary, Tahr, and DebianDog wheezy work here with fbcon.

rerwin

#1028 Post by rerwin »

I did a cp -a ./lupusave/* to sulusave

Booted to sulu1.

This save-file was last used with version 528 of Puppy.
Hit the Enter key.... to upgrade this file....
. . .
None of my changes to lupu2016 were saved.
That seems strange. I assume the added packages were in the lupusave file. I wonder if the upgrading affected that.

But, then:
I was asked whether to remove 10 duplicate files and sulu1 works.
Was that in the same session or a later boot-up? Or just after removing some conflicting files?

Anyway, it seems that only 3HD and sulu2 have fbcon; actually, only they have the 'console' directory that fbcon.ko is in!

I am afraid that I, too, do not understand how that works. I think you know more about the graphics stuff than I do.

rerwin

get_libreoffice fixed

#1029 Post by rerwin »

The get_libreoffice script stopped working. I have placed the corrected version (0.43) here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 460#988460

UPDATE 5/20/18:
The original (0.42) version broke 32-bit support, making it unusable in the lucid pups. The corrected version is now at that link.
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 20 May 2018, 15:06, edited 2 times in total.

Mike Walsh

#1030 Post by Mike Walsh »

Richard:-

A wee question for you, as I'm really not familiar with the OpenBox/FBpanel combo (it's not at all like JWM)...

Whereabouts would I look to implement key-bindings? I have a tiny script I would like to implement by binding it to a specific key (in this case, 'Insert'.....which never, ever gets used). With JWM, it's /etc/xdg/templates/_root_jwmrc, and key bindings is part of that script. With Openbox...

...who knows? Any pointers, please?

TIA.

Mike. :wink:

rerwin

Openbox Key Bindings

#1031 Post by rerwin »

Mike,

The file is: ~/.config/openbox/rc.xml.

Here is more than you want to know about its bindings:
http://openbox.org/wiki/Help:Bindings#Key_combination

Mike Walsh

#1032 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, Richard.

Ah, thanks for that. Having looked carefully through it, I see I do have one key-bind set-up in there already, so.....using that as a template (and referring to that Openbox wiki page), I think I can sort something out.

Thanks very much indeed. Cheers!

Mike Walsh

#1033 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi again, Richard.

Works nicely.

The relevant section of /root/.config/openbox/rc.xml now reads as follows:-

Code: Select all

<keyboard>
    <!-- Keybindings for running applications -->
    <keybind key="C-S-s">
      <action name="Execute">
        <command>PupSnap run</command>
      </action>
    </keybind>
    <keybind key="Insert">
		<action name="Execute">
			<command>/usr/sbin/cursor-centre.sh</command>
		</action>
	</keybind>		 
  </keyboard>
The second stanza is the part I've added. It runs a tiny script I put together, called "cursor-centre.sh" (following a link from Flash back to an elderly post), making use of xdotool. All it does is to centre the cursor on the screen, no matter where it's got left. Just an easy way to find it!

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#
# Location script for centering cursor in middle of screen. @Mike_Walsh, March 2018. With thanks to Flash, jamesbond & technosaurus.
#
xdotool mousemove --polar 0 0
I've bookmarked the wiki page, just in case it may come in handy in the future. Thanks again.

rerwin

get_libreoffice corrected

#1034 Post by rerwin »

I have corrected get_libreoffice so that it works with the Lucids and have updated my announcement here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 612#988612

Richard

rerwin

New versions of LibreOffice & Java JRE

#1035 Post by rerwin »

ALERT! DO NOT USE LO 5.4.7 IN ANY LUCID PUP!

Libre Office 5.4.7 does not appear to work reliably with Lucid Pup. Avoid installing it!
When opening an existing .odt spreadsheet it shows as empty. If you save that, it will destroy the spreadsheet. It seems OK with .odt word processor documents but generates warnings for .doc and .xlsx documents

It does appear to work in Upupbb (bionic pup).

The JRE update might be OK -- I have not tested it.

I am leaving the links here for those willing to look for fixes, but recommend avoiding 5.4.7 for normal work in Lucid Pup.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LibreOffice is updated to the final 5.4 and current 6.0, JRE to 8u172. The *libre ISO files are here: To update the versions used in existing non-libre Lucid pups and other puppies, the SFS files are here:

rerwin

Problems with LibreOfffice 5.4.7 in Lucid Pups

#1036 Post by rerwin »

I am withdrawing the lupulibres for LibreOffice 5.4.7 because it does not seem to work reliably in the Lucids. See my previous message for more details.

tallboy

#1037 Post by tallboy »

The gecko-mediaplayer in my Palemoon 27.9.4 in Lucid 5.2.8.7 is v1.04. In the ppm repo there is a v1.06 showing as already installed? When I try to install it, Palemoon starts with no plugins. Is there a bug somewhere?
The reason for trying to update is that I constantly get the message that I have to install a codec for mp4 to view a video.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.

rerwin

#1038 Post by rerwin »

tallboy,
I never got palemoon to work with plugins. That is one of many reasons I stopped releasing new versions of Lucid Pup. And why I left palemoon installation to interested users.

Although I still use Lucid Super 2 with seamonkey 2.46 as my puppy for email and routine stuff, I am developing for woofCE and recent puppies. I encourage others to move on from lupu, if they can, to xenial pup 7.5 or Bionic (upupbb).

I, too, am seeing codec messages when I try audio or video playbacks in my puppy tests with kernel 3.2 (pupradio, xine, VLC), but have not determined how to resolve the problem. I wonder where you get the needed codecs if they don't tell you which codec is needed. I suspect the problem is with mp4, but am not confident about that.

tallboy

#1039 Post by tallboy »

I have never looked at the version of the gecko-mediaplayer before, I always assumed it was the latest. I have not experienced problems with other plug-ins in PM, but I haven't used many, I don't really need them...
The woof-CE versions of functions4puppy and savesessionDVD have at some point been altered, so that saving to a CD-R is impossible. But BionicBeaver may be be my future Puppy.
True freedom is a live Puppy on a multisession CD/DVD.