puppy linux USB install [SOLVED]

Booting, installing, newbie
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

LibreOffice in Xenialpup64.

That program is so big it is not in Puppy, but easily installed.
menu>Document>Get LibreOffice
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

drunkjedi

#22 Post by drunkjedi »

Libre office is preinstalled in Fatdog 64.

bushrat

#23 Post by bushrat »

@bigpup - thanks for the rundown on boot options. Yeah, Unetbootin behaviour puzzles me too and I ran it many times all with similar results, some ISO files unzipped others not - weird or what?
As for the rest of the stuff I'll have to familiarise myself with there's a lot to learn and it all takes time because the information you need is scattered all over the place. I'll start with the manual and see how I go...

The key advice I got from you was to prepare the flash drive independently of any installer. If I'd relied solely on any of the installers none of them would have worked (as was the case in my early attempts) and like many others I'd have given up on installing Puppy on my machine. So big thanks for that.

One last thing I need to do is mark my original post [solved] not clear how to do that?

thanks to all.

Mike Walsh

#24 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bushrat:-
bushrat wrote:One last thing I need to do is mark my original post [solved] not clear how to do that?
Easy-peasy. The Puppy Forum doesn't utilise the 'Thread tools' so beloved of other fora; we're all about simplicity here.

Just go into 'Edit' for your original post, then add '[SOLVED]' to the end of the subject line. Then re-submit.

That's all there is to it. Remember, this is pretty elderly, and very heavily modified, phpBB forum software here.....hosted by a private individual, and paid for out of his own pocket. We're all used to it's little 'foibles' by now.

Mike. :wink:

bushrat

#25 Post by bushrat »

thank you Mike Walsh

mikeslr

Recommended for Bookmarking in Web-browser

#26 Post by mikeslr »

Hi bushrat,

Welcome to the kennels.

Can't add much to what you've already been told. But I do recommend that you bookmark the following link in your web-browser: https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 -- too hard to memorize, and almost as hard to find Geofrey's post which first mentioned it.

It performs a 'google' search of this Forum and some (all?) other sources relating to Puppy.

For example, I used it as a starting point for the following:

I knew nothing about NordVPN, but plugging that term into the above search engine provided links to six pages on which it was mentioned: 5 in addition to the page where you mentioned it. Scanning the posts suggests that NordVPN is a provider.

Going to the NordVPN site revealed prominent downloads --I expect they are 'addons/plugins-- for Chrome and Firefox both of which are available under Xenialpup64. Follow Mike Walsh's suggestion to look in the "Additional Software" Section of the Forum. Digging deeper on the NordVPN site reveal a download pertaining to Linux>OpenVPN. OscarTalks has compiled that application, but not for Xenialpup64 or any other 64-bit Puppies, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 522#961522. You can run as many Puppies as your drives have space for. Frugal Puppies only need their own folder. But you should also know that Xenialpup64 is binary compatible to Ubuntu Xenial Xerus. So it may be possible to access Ubuntu's repo, using Puppy Package manager and or https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?keyw ... ection=all and obtain all the necessary parts for that application. Or for the two other VPN clients supported by NordVPN>Linux.

mikesLr

bigpup

#27 Post by bigpup »

Using Unetbootin.
Then I took a closer look at the flash drive contents. They lined up with bigpup's screen shot of what he posted after running Unetbootin on his run but something looked a bit odd.
The contents of the flash drive showed unzipped Puppy files - I knew something was wrong

I would like to see a picture of what Unetbootin originally put on the flash drive.

You can easily make an image to post to the forum.
Use this program to make an image.
menu>Graphic>Screeny Capture Windows and full screen
Add the image to a post as an attachment.

Use Rox file manager to show what is on the flash drive and take a picture of the Rox window.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#28 Post by bushrat »

not sure what a screen shot will tell you?

as a guide, the 'efi' file still has extractable items as do other files.
Attachments
post-unetbootin.jpg
(92.57 KiB) Downloaded 599 times

bushrat

#29 Post by bushrat »

on a final note here are the contents of my, now bootable, flash drive after I fully unzipped the previous flash drive contents.

have fun...
Attachments
post-unzipping post-unetbootin.jpg
(108.64 KiB) Downloaded 590 times

bigpup

#30 Post by bigpup »

I do not know what exact version of Unetbootin for Windows you used.

From those images I can see the biggest reason the first Unetbootin install did not work.
Some of the names are wrong.
initrd should be initrd.gz

That should be the biggest reason it did not boot.

Notice what the boot menu entry looks for for files.

Code: Select all

menuentry "Start xenialpup64" 
    linux /vmlinuz pmedia=cd
    initrd /initrd.gz
That initrd line says to look for initrd as /initrd.gz

Maybe you got a buggy version of Unetbootin.
Bad download of Unetbbootin.
Bad install of Unetbootin.

Or something in the Windows you have will not let files be named .gz
That is a compression format not native to Windows.

Strange that using my version of Windows 10. Unetbootin for Windows worked with no problem and named all the files correctly. :?

I got Unetbootin from here:
https://unetbootin.github.io/
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#31 Post by bigpup »

bushrat wrote:on a final note here are the contents of my, now bootable, flash drive after I fully unzipped the previous flash drive contents.

have fun...
Whatever is in that boot directory is now probably being used to boot it.
Not sure where that came from.
That is not normally in a Puppy install to a USB flash drive.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#32 Post by bushrat »

@bigpup - I'm tempted to think there's some machine/software dependent issue going on here with that boot disk. If you look back over my earlier posts you'll see I tried three of the most common installers and they all failed to directly make a bootable Puppy - so that tells me it has nothing to do with a 'bad' download of Unetbootin rather a generic problem across all of them. However if a simple unzip fixes the problem I'll take that.

My current task with Puppy is making NordVPN work in it. NordVPN is a VPN provider and they reckon since their stuff works with Ubuntu and Puppy is somewhat compatible with Ubuntu repositories then I should stand a chance.

now where do I even start?.....

bigpup

#33 Post by bigpup »

If you have a new problem or question, best to start a new topic for it.

I will get you started.
In Xenialpup64 7.5 already has this program.
menu>Network>Gpptp VPN
That VPN program may be all you need

The NordVPN web site says this about Linux.
https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/linux/

It talks about using apt-get to download and install stuff.
Puppy does not have or use apt-get.

In Xenialpup64 7.5 there is the Puppy Package Manager(PPM)
Do a search for openVPN and it has that to download.
So it seems opneVPN can be gotten by using PPM.
This is from a Ubuntu repository, so it may also download all that is needed as dependencies.

Anyway it is a start.
I do not use VPN, so I am really guessing with info about it.
A little more searching and PPTP seems to already be installed in Xenialpup64 7.5.
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#34 Post by bushrat »

seems I'm always thanking you bigpup, but it's well deserved...

I'll start a new topic for VPN with Puppy once I've got my head around a few more things.
I'm a bit surprised you don't use a VPN, but then I think everybody should.

I'm a bit of a fanatic about privacy, not because I've anything to hide, nor because I'm paranoid, just that I think privacy is a very important individual right. Don't give your rights away so easily, you never know the benefits until you need them one day. And I'd better not start about social media...I'd better get off my soapbox.

thanks again for your kick-start on VPN.

bushrat

#35 Post by bushrat »

postscript

I've experienced nothing but problems in Puppy linux - from working with files, just moving them, saving them etc. not to mention installing new apps and there's nothing I can find at any juncture which explains anything. Having to constantly appeal to forum memebrs for the smallest thing really is pathetic.

Thanks to all who replied to my earlier posts but I'm dumping Puppy - I just have better things to do than guess what anything does in Puppy. I'd be willing to roll up my sleeves and learn if there was anything remotely resembling tutorials which explained the basics of file systems, installing apps. etc. but there isn't.

Puppy was a nice idea, but....

bigpup

#36 Post by bigpup »

Beginners section of the forum has all kinds of help and documentation in the first topics.

Most programs have a help.
from working with files, just moving them, saving them etc.
Works about like any operating system.
Drag and drop to copy or move in the Rox file manager.
Works best to just have 2 Rox windows open and drag and drop between them.
Yes, Rox is a very simple file manager.
You can install a more complex one that will give you more of a look like a Windows file manager.

Sorry, but you do need to learn the Puppy Linux file system directories structure.
It does take some time to get used to using.
It is not exactly Linux standard layout.

Most programs have a save option in the programs menu bar listed under file.
Some have a simple right click menu when using the program.
not to mention installing new apps.
That is a little different, because Linux has so many versions and stuff compiled for a specific OS (even a specific Puppy), may or may not work, on another Linux OS or Puppy version.
Basics of installing program packages
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59597
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#37 Post by bushrat »

@bigpup
yeah there is a ton of stuff - but little of it is coherent. There is not a single guide to working with files from the bottom up so to speak. You refer to 'drag and drop' to move files in the Rox file manager, I assure you that doesn't happen on my version. It's been a VERY frusrating experience once again.

And don't let anyone say I haven't tried. I'm not about to say anything such as "But in Windows..." I completely understand that any Linux is not Windows but just to get simple stuff to work for you as a beginner is too time consuming. Yes, I've managed to get everything done I've wanted to so far in Puppy, but the effort and guesswork because of poor documentation for beginners has driven me nuts.

I'll revist Puppy sometime in the future but really, I could have gotten my head around any of the more popular O/S's in the time it has taken me to crawl on my knees through what I've learned so far in Puppy. And I'm afraid that experienced Linux users will never understand where new users are coming from.

Thanks for your reply.

Mike Walsh

#38 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ bushrat:-

Sorry to hear you're giving up on Puppy as a bad job. In my own case, over the last nearly 40 years, I've tried just about everything there is out there....including Solaris (eek!), BSD (also has its own very unique way of doing things); every version of Windoze since 1.0 (95 was, um, OK; 98 was nice, 2000 was the biggest pile of shite I've ever had the misfortune to try)....and then my favourite, XP. Used that for 14 years, nearly.....and after that, at least 50 different Linux distros. I settled on Puppy because it was the kindest to my old hardware. I've always had an enquiring mind, so I set out to master Pup's intricacies....and I think I have.

You have to understand that the entire Linux 'culture' is all about forums, and everybody helping everybody else out. I don't think I've found a single distro that has large amounts of documentation you can plough through at your own pace....and please, don't tell me Windoze has, because it doesn't. Well, OK; it does (sort of), but not that it actually tells you anything you really want to know....

ROX; yes, it does take some getting used to, but I now find that I get really confused going into any other distro and trying to organise things. The biggest reason that I run the single other distro I use (AntiX) is because it, too, uses the ROX file manager. I've gotten kinda used to it, and I rather like it...

Anyway; hope you find something that does what you want it to, and, well.....good luck!

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Wed 02 May 2018, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#39 Post by bigpup »

There is not a single guide to working with files from the bottom up so to speak. You refer to 'drag and drop' to move files in the Rox file manager, I assure you that doesn't happen on my version.
I would like to know specifically what you are trying to do with files.
What about Rox file manager that you think it should be able to do?

Rox has configuration options.
Right click on a clear area of a Rox window and select options.
Rox starts with these default settings for drag and drop
Attachments
capture19766.png
(36.43 KiB) Downloaded 160 times
YaPI(any iso installer)

bushrat

#40 Post by bushrat »

@mike walsh @bigpup thanks again for your replies.

Truth is I still want to run Puppy but hell, every time I try something there is yet another problem to overcome. And as MW indicates there does not seem to be any good overall description of Puppy structure and use - plenty of information about very specific issues but no overview of the whole system for newcomers. Newcomers need a simple fundamental understanding of Puppy basics so they are not thrown by Puppy's demands.

For instance (and this is a minor issue) periodically a "save" message would flash on the screen with no explanation. To the new user this poses the question, "What the hell is it saving? I didn't order any saving."
I now know what is going on and what the saving is about, but I got that information from another site which actually explains a few VERY BASIC principles on which Puppy operates.

Every problem a newcomer runs into takes time, whether it's asking questions on forums or researching particular issues on the wider internet and so much of it could be eliminated by understanding basic structures? If there was a book called "Puppy Linux for Dummies" then many problems would disappear.

On another note. I'm still not confident that I ever had a clean Puppy install in the first place. Bigpup gave a clear rundown of the Xenialpup distro and his use of Unetbootin - I never got the result he did, I had to do further unzipping of the 'installed' Puppy modules - and that tells me I never did overcome install issues. I think I got a fudged version of Puppy running which also explains periodic error messages Puppy gave me about missing files or unable to perform "wrapper" ops (whatever they are?). See, I couldn't make sense of what Puppy was talking about once again....

When I have a some time I'll revisit the installation of Puppy to see if there was anything I missed, and the possibility still exists that my machine is just not Puppy compatible (it does happen). For instance I cannot install Linux Mint on this machine (Acer Aspire Win10) but have successfully installed it without a single problem on another (Toshiba Satellite Win7).

I'm further frustrated because the quality of help from posters on this forum is excellent, they really try to assist people and it would be great to be part of that.

Regards
Bushrat.