Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 04:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Portable Wine
Page 4 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr 2018, 11:44    Post subject: Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 (Especially 4 Bionic & later)
Subject description: Can be used with any Puppy after Series 4

Hi All,

There were some reports that Windows programs which had been successfully run under earlier versions of Wine in Puppies published before Bionic Beaver would not run under Bionic Beaver. [I personally don't have a clear recollection of such problems --well, maybe: I have a dim recollection of one program not opening. But that program, itself, is circa 1998 and rather unique, so I may have classified it as "one off."] But having previously repackaged portable-wine using Version2013's wine-3.3_v2.1 for personal use, I've uploaded it.

You can find it, together with md5 and sha1 here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mso58025te7mz

As with my previous efforts, all credit should be given to Version2013 for his work in developing Wine pets for Puppy Linux, and to Shinobar and the Japanese Team for their creation of the portable vehicle. See this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=971452#971452 for details and instructions.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 21 Apr 2018, 10:16; edited 1 time in total
festus

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2018, 09:36    Post subject:  

Thank you, mikeslr, for this new version of portable wine.

Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 works with LxPupSc very well.

bliss,
festus
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sat 21 Apr 2018, 11:23    Post subject:  

Thank you, festus, for the report.

Your post brought to my attention that this thread's title had been misleading. I've edited it.

It had been Version2013 practice to often (always?) publish four versions of each 32-bit Wine iteration. But recently, and at least for Wine 3.3, he compiled six versions: two using Puppy 4.31, two using Racy 5.5 and two using Tahrpup 6.0.5. The difference between each of the two under a compiling Puppy is whether it is "stripped" or not, with the recommendation that the "not stripped" version be used if assistance from WineHq might be important. The difference in compiling agents used, as far as I know, has to do with what glibc (and perhaps other foundations) will be available in the target operating system: Wine requiring newer glibc libraries "may" fail on older Puppies lacking such newer glibc libraries. See http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=985240#985240.

Except for once when, half-way thru repackaging I realized that I had inadvertently downloaded a "not stripped" pet and was to lazy to start again, I start with a "stripped" pet. WineHq isn't likely to offer any help concerning a version of Wine modified not only to run as an SFS, but as an SFS configured to run as an External Application.

While there may be advantages in using a version of Wine expecting newer glibc's, before Bionic Beaver, I hadn't experienced any practical difference; and running multiple Puppies and Dogs, prefer one version which can have the widest application. The oldest Puppy I'm currently maintaining is Slacko 5.7. Hence, I chose Version2013's compilation of the stripped version compiled under Racy.

In short, I expect this build to be functional under any Series 5 or later Puppy.

mikesLr
ETP

PostPosted: Mon 23 Apr 2018, 16:38    Post subject: Portable Wine version 3.3_v2.1 (Especially 4 Bionic & later)  

Hi mikeslr,

Thanks for the above.
Wine is something that I have used in Puppy for many years but only ever to launch Windows Portable Apps
held in Windows XP or Win10. Using Portable wine means that nothing has to be installed in the Pup itself.

In the screenshot below Bionic is running from the 3rd partition (sdd3) of a 4 partition USB3 stick.
Portable Apps is installed on the D: drive of Win 10 (sda6)
Your Portable Wine is held on a general purpose Linux partition sdb6
Both sda6 and sdb6 are set to automount.

The syntax for the desktop launcher is in the attached screenshot but I normally go on to substitute a Portable Apps
icon for the Wine icon and edit the text to read PortApps. Not all apps run in Linux particularly if they are hardware
related but most do. You can actually install, remove or update the Windows Apps whilst in Linux.
Nice to be able to run 64-bit VLC but Chromecast detection is currently problematic.

Screenshot:
Please press F11 to toggle into full-screen then click on link below;---
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1p7Osk19IHajHphD2iQicZ8VmpjMka9AB
Logo_PortableApps.png
 Description   
 Filesize   16.22 KB
 Viewed   399 Time(s)

Logo_PortableApps.png

Screenshot(1).png
 Description   
 Filesize   22.83 KB
 Viewed   641 Time(s)

Screenshot(1).png

Kennels
Page 4 of 4 [49 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Additional Software (PETs, n' stuff) » Virtualization
Jump to: