Puppy is out of date ...BADLY

Using applications, configuring, problems
bigpup

#21 Post by bigpup »

We are Puppy.
You need to buy the newer version of Puppy.
The newer software is better and we need some more money. :shock:
Sorry, that is Windows not Puppy!

The very newest official releases of Puppy do have some newer core programs.
They have been improved to work better and not be buggy.
How Puppy works has even changed some.

But the changes are done for a very good reason, not to just give the software a newer release date.
Some programs just do what they need to do and nothing is needed to improve them or bug fix them.
Good code is good code.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

darry19662018

#22 Post by darry19662018 »

Palemoon just works better than Firefox for me and the fact they still support gtk2.:)

hamoudoudou

New scripts

#23 Post by hamoudoudou »

Puppy linux works really well with my hardware (Version 6) but my computer now if 6 years old. It seems that problems are mainly with 'windows 8 and 10' computers..
However that is a fact that some bin is worth updated, seriously, not for learning programming.. and if the 'scripts' are really well done, to be validated by incude in all iSOs, at least to be added in Noarch PPM
A tiny part of downloaders come in this forum to study what pet is to be added to standard ISO delivered in downloading site.

musher0

#24 Post by musher0 »

Hello April and all.

According to this:
http://www.beerhistory.com/library/hold ... able.shtml
some recipes for beer are over 4,500 years old. (Provisions in Noah's Ark,
Ancient Babylon [they had 20 types of beer already!]).

I wouldn't worry about a script being 5-6 years old!!! :lol: ;)

The comparison may look silly. What I mean is:
once a good thing, always a good thing.

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

hamoudoudou

beer but not only.

#25 Post by hamoudoudou »

beer but not only.. Latin or arabic language are good to use.. by monks ! Seriously, some binaries are outdated. Just check and update them.. you like it, dear linux experts..

april

#26 Post by april »

All this talk of beer makes me thirsty.

I spend a bit of time on github messing with stuff and i find there are always new bits and pieces of programs that need changing for security or to fix a bug or add a feature .

S242b .........The fact that something was compiled 6 years or more ago worries me because even the compilers have changed dramatically in that time as you know.

greengeek

#27 Post by greengeek »

8Geee wrote:OpenSSL support is important.
But why?

Did we ever reach a point where Windows updates stopped because they reached a point of stable security? Updates spawn more updates.

Puppy has become too similar to Windows now. Too much inclination to do what Google says is good and right. What happens when our banks suddenly say "sorry guys - we won't deal with any version of SSL other than that which is currently approved by Google"?

We might only be a few months away from that point.

Are we going to jump through hoops and buy new hardware just so we can run "secure" software so that our service providers can force us to dance to their tune?

And the software written in the last year - is it perfect enough to last 6 years? I doubt it's any better than software written 6 years ago (comparing apples with apples...)

In any case - Puppy is about running fast software on underpowered machines. Or at least that is what it used to be about. No-one ever said it was able to compete with the big boys in terms of R&D security budgets.

Take a risk. Run the 6 year old software.

Burn_IT

#28 Post by Burn_IT »

And the software written in the last year - is it perfect enough to last 6 years? I doubt it's any better than software written 6 years ago (comparing apples with apples...)
All software contains errors and new software that does the same job as old software will just re-introduce the errors that had been fixed as well as a rack of new ones.
I once did a study of software bugs, testing, and quality assurance.
We(QA team) took a newly written system, before any testing had been done, and deliberately inserted a number of known (to us) errors. The system was then tested by the original team as normal.
When they were completely happy with it, we studied it and checked to see what percentage of our known errors were detected and corrected (and those incorrectly corrected).
This gave us a reasonable idea of how many REAL bugs were found, corrected or created.
This was all done with the knowledge of the development team so that there was no finger pointing or blaming and was accepted as a purely statistical study by all.

The conclusion was that between 15 and 20 percent of the bugs in any system are not found during testing, no matter how thorough it is.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeb

#29 Post by mikeb »

Take a risk. Run the 6 year old software.
is windows 2000 and linux from 2008 ok?????????
will I die?????!!!!!
worried mike... :shock:

nic007

#30 Post by nic007 »

Hi, mike

I see all the main browsers have their very last releases for all Windows prior to Windows 7 (some will release security upfdates for these last releases for a while). What a sad state of affairs. :(

mikeb

#31 Post by mikeb »

I see all the main browsers have their very last releases for windows xp (some will release security updates for these last releases for a while). What a sad state of affairs.
Hmm indeed...as mentioned the web appears to be being used as a way of selling new hardware.
Now if you went to fill you car and found the fuel sold would no longer work in it and you were told to buy a new one would you be impressed........ filling up with pig urine seems odd in itself.... :lol:

new compilers.... on windows they add dummy functions to obsolete older kernels (check yer dependency walker)...ie windows versions for obvious financial reasons.... not sure why the constant core changes within open source projects though.

addness...utter addness.

mike

wiak

#32 Post by wiak »

Most peoples' jobs are dependent that we live in a consumer society. If new products aren't released and bought, lots of jobs will go. People using their smartphones more than any other computers nowadays - most just facebook, youtube, email... Some just using computers at work for jobs word-processing/spreadsheet/accounting needs, but if jobs go they won't be needed either. Great we can keep our 10 and more year old computers going nicely with the likes of Puppy - but that's not creating any jobs of course.

But do you think a different kind of non-consumer society is coming along soon? The dawning of an open source of free everything Utopia with universal free wage? Seems unlikely to me at least in terms of being able to afford to pay for a roof over our heads.

Once the beer starts flowing freely, no prohibition to fun life and dancing (back to the roaring twenties) that's when politicians decide it would be good to sent the young men (and now women too) to war to keep us all under control, and bring us all (literally) down to earth - and into off-topic...

wiak

Burn_IT

#33 Post by Burn_IT »

You were no doubt born before 2000.
Are you safe to live in this world??
I would imagine you have learned a lot about the world around you in that time and know what is safe to do and what is dangerous and should be avoided.
Until the new born child has had time to learn what is safe and what is dangerous, you will be safer than he is.

mikeb

#34 Post by mikeb »

Most peoples' jobs are dependent that we live in a consumer society
dod not used to be...making things to last then maintaining them kept us busy...then henry ford appeared......
mike

musher0

#35 Post by musher0 »

mikeb wrote:
wiak wrote:Most peoples' jobs are dependent that we live in a consumer society
dod not used to be...making things to last then maintaining them kept us busy...then henry ford appeared......
mike
Hello all.

Is Cuba the exception? Recycling old material generates jobs too.

As to Puppy Linux, it extends | prolongs the life | value of the user's
computing equipment. Those savings can be calculated, as in: Puppyist X
has saved Y dollars by not having to buy new computer equipment and apps.
I'd say $1,000, easily: $500 for a new box and $500 for new proprietary
apps.

The phenomenon is not good for the growth of the computer industry, but
it is balanced by the poorer, or freer, or more inventive, segments of society
being able to be a part of the computer era. Talent is not the prerogative of
the rich!

Also, one should look at the community sector in one's country. In Canada,
the co-operatives (~ 10 %) and community (~ 20 %?) sectors are non-
negligible motors of the economy. At the very least, they respond to needs
that the part of the economy based only on bottom-line figures cannot fulfill.

FWIW. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

mikeb

#36 Post by mikeb »

Better example perhaps...

Our milk used to be delivered to the front door in glass bottles which were collected afterwards , washed and refilled. They used electric vehicles.
This involved many, many people.....

All replaced by plastic bottles by supermarkets , magnitudes less staff, created a waste disposal nightmare plus inherently has promoted the mistreatment of cattle to keep up with the demand which seems to have come about due to these super large containers....and you have to burn fuel to collect the stuff.

That is not progress, that is insanity....

mike

RetroTechGuy

#37 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Burn_IT wrote:You were no doubt born before 2000.
Are you safe to live in this world??
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I suspect that there are more than a few of us who were born before "the computer age" (yes, I know that computers have been around a long time -- but weren't common household items until well into the 1980s).

Ermmm... We still used slide rules when I was in high school... ;-)
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Burn_IT

#38 Post by Burn_IT »

Log tables for me. I still have the slide rule I bought when they were first allowed in "O" levels.

mikeb

#39 Post by mikeb »

First year of being allowed calculators in exams... I am soooooo young......
computer pumped out pink ticker tape ...could be used to make rude banners.
Oh noooo..."I am out of date...BADLY"!!!!!!!!

mike

Burn_IT

#40 Post by Burn_IT »

Paper and Mylar tape were a computer operator's worst enemy.
I still carry the scars on my fingers from deep paper tape cuts obtained when rewinding the tapes after use.
They were spooled on open sided spools and the only way to stop them forming cones when rewinding was to use your finger to keep the tape in line, and the tape was travelling pretty fast by the time you got a 600ft spool.(about 9inch diameter)