Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 21 Aug 2019, 10:57
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Latest 32bit Puppy as of April 2018? (Solved)
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 10:44    Post subject: end of life means only end of official support  

About artful Bionic end of life means only end of official support.. But they are lot of flavours still used. People have only to help each other.
if you install artfulpup (still active flavour) Puppy Linux users will help, even if Peebee has jump to new Bionic LTS..
Same for Xenial, vivid.. Support exists when supporters exist..
But really seasonal flavours die at the end of season, more by curiosity for next one than due to bad version. An loose of interest for experts.
About Ubuntu, clearly Canonical will not support any more 32 bits.. Soon the will no longer support laptops.. When ?
Old DEBian will be our choice, then..
RetroTechGuy

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 13:18    Post subject:  

musher0 wrote:
Hi, scsijon.

May I suggest two of my Pups? Although they are not the absolute latest, they are
still quite recent.

My xenialPup-7.0.6, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=musher0/xenialPup-706-k41/distro
from Oct. 30, 2017

and

my PuppyStretch-7.0.0a1, with choice of kernels, at:
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=musher0/Dpup_Stretch/ISOs_de_base
from about a year ago.

If need be, you can run two Mozilla-type browsers plus OpenOffice at the same time
on them, and they are still stable. (With 4Gb of RAM; untried with 2Gb of RAM.)

Should you have any questions about them, please ask; I am still maintaining them.

IHTH.

Thanks Musher. I'm probably at the point of needing an update (still running 5.28 -- wasn't so "keen" on Slacko)

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Tue 24 Apr 2018, 14:06    Post subject:  

Snap.
And you cannot run 64bit software on old 32bit machines.

Sylvander

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 07:04    Post subject: Re: Better is too subjective, too many variables  

mikeslr wrote:
...only additions I've made to Slacko 5.7 in the last two years have been to install new openssl and Palemoon.

I'd like to do that, but where to get them and HOW to do it?
I'm running Slacko-5.7.0-pae.
My existing Palemoon is 24.7.1 (x86).
Openssl-1.0.1c [installed=1.0.1f]
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 11:56    Post subject: Re: Better is too subjective, too many variables  

Sylvander wrote:
mikeslr wrote:
...only additions I've made to Slacko 5.7 in the last two years have been to install new openssl and Palemoon.

I'd like to do that, but where to get them and HOW to do it?
I'm running Slacko-5.7.0-pae.
My existing Palemoon is 24.7.1 (x86).
Openssl-1.0.1c [installed=1.0.1f]

Have you tried Watchdog's palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=973676#973676

and

belham2's openssl-1.0.2l-i686.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=962225#962225 or perhaps festus' openssl-1.0.2o-i686, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989249#989249.

IIRC, both Slacko 5.7 and Slacko 5.7.1 are built from Slackware 14.0 binaries, 'though I'm uncertain to what extent OS binary differences have any significance as to the functionality of openssl.

mikesLr
mikeslr

PostPosted: Wed 25 Apr 2018, 20:03    Post subject: Update NEW Slacko 5.7.1  

Hi again Sylvander and anyone interested in the Slacko 5.7 series,

For reasons I can't explain, I flipped to the back of a thread I seldom read and discovered that on March 19, 2018, Sailor Enceladus published Slacko 5.7.1, which like Slacko 5.7 was based on Slackware 14.0, however was built with the then latest Woof. It uses kernel 3.18.106, smp but no-pae. You can find the link to it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=986117#986117. Although I haven't run the test to determine, the build date, kernel number and build source suggest that it may be patched against meltdown and spectres.

So I downloaded the ISO, moved my Slackos current files, including the SaveFolder, to a safe location leaving a copy of the SaveFolder in the folder where grub4dos menu.lst would expect to find Slacko 5.7. Unpacked Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 5.7.1 into that folder and booted into it. While booting I was greeted with the expected inquiry about whether to update the SaveFolder and OK'd that. Other than having to change back to my preferred wallpaper, everything went without incident and all the installed applications I frequently use, including the palemoon mentioned in my prior post, appear to be working well.

I installed festus' openssl mentioned in the prior post. I don't know how to check whether it is functional, so I can only tell you it is recognized.

By the way, Sailor, nice job. It appears to be quick, responsive and light on resources. Thanks a lot.

mikesLr
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2018, 04:58    Post subject: Re: Better is too subjective, too many variables  

mikeslr wrote:
Have you tried Watchdog's palemoon-27.6.2-p4-glibc219tweak.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=973676#973676

and

belham2's openssl-1.0.2l-i686.pet from here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=962225#962225 or perhaps festus' openssl-1.0.2o-i686, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989249#989249.

Finally got this done.
Didn't uninstall the previous versions prior to installing the new.
The new seem to be working OK. Very Happy
Saved the changes.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 03 May 2018, 12:50    Post subject:  

Hi, Mike.

mikeslr wrote:
For reasons I can't explain, I flipped to the back of a thread I seldom read and discovered that on March 19, 2018, Sailor Enceladus published Slacko 5.7.1, which like Slacko 5.7 was based on Slackware 14.0, however was built with the then latest Woof. It uses kernel 3.18.106, smp but no-pae. You can find the link to it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=986117#986117. Although I haven't run the test to determine, the build date, kernel number and build source suggest that it may be patched against meltdown and spectres.

So I downloaded the ISO, moved my Slackos current files, including the SaveFolder, to a safe location leaving a copy of the SaveFolder in the folder where grub4dos menu.lst would expect to find Slacko 5.7. Unpacked Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 5.7.1 into that folder and booted into it. While booting I was greeted with the expected inquiry about whether to update the SaveFolder and OK'd that. Other than having to change back to my preferred wallpaper, everything went without incident and all the installed applications I frequently use, including the palemoon mentioned in my prior post, appear to be working well.

Following your suggestion, I've installed Slacko 5.7.1 (sounds odd, that..!) to a folder on one of my data partitions.

Like you, I had to reset the desktop, but I expected that; as y'all know, I have a very highly customized set-up.....not one that can really be stored as a ROX pinboard 'profile'.

Aside from that, just a couple of minor 'head-scratchers'. For some weird reason, none of my Chromium-based browsers would start. Chrome (et al) make use of several of the libs from the Firefox directory in /usr/lib (in particular, libnss3.so & libnssutils3.so). Looking in /usr/lib, I could see what the problem was. Sailor's named the FF directory 'firefox-28.0'. Chrome et al will look in /usr/lib and /usr/lib/firefox.....but they don't know about /usr/lib/firefox-28.0!

So I just sym-linked the necessary libs from the 'firefox-28.0' directory into /usr/lib, annnnnd..... Bingo!

(I'm running Fred's newest FF-Quantum here, too, from /opt. Wouldn't have been any good using the libs from that, though, 'cos they're newer than the version of Chrome in use.....it wouldn't have recognised them.)

The only other easily solved 'niggle' was that my desktop drive icons were coming up in any old order, and frequently sitting over the top of each other. I have 12 of them in regular use, and have the spacing set pretty tight to get them into my desktop wallpaper design. However, increasing that by just 2 pixels had everything working correctly again.....and I like the fact that Sailor's made use of one feature of the newer 'Event Manager', where there's no need to restart 'X'; clicking 'OK' takes care of it automatically. Nice one.

All things considered, a very good release.....and running extremely smooth & quick. Cheers, Sailor!

Mike. Wink

Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: