Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 19 Aug 2018, 13:03
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Using a smaller screen size to watch low resolution video
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 08:30    Post subject:  

As I suspect I said earlier,
It depends what resolutions are on the list they are using, and they probably use different lists. You will need to find the lists.

wiak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 08:44    Post subject:  

Some info on changing offered resolutions when using xrandr here:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr#Adding_undetected_resolutions

The utilities gtf and cvt mentioned in above link are both available in my 32bit Slacko 6.3.2 pristine installation.

wiak
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 08:48    Post subject:  

Hi, greengeek.
I use Windows XP most of the time and have a resolution changer application permanently in the tray. Just right-click and bingo. As far as Puppy goes - A quick method (without making scripts or using terminal) is: setup from menu > Xorg Video Wizard > Resolution Changer. This method does not require X to restart but is hit and miss (I can get 1280 x 800 to change to 1024 x 768 but that's about it). Otherwise choose xorgwizard from Xorg Video Wizard Screen > probe > more.

BTW - After more testing in terms of changing resolutions I have settled with the following which seems to work best on my machine:
1. Use 1280 x 800 screen size for videos with resolutions higher than x 480 to x 800. This includes some older DVD rips which typically are 720 x 576. Depending on the source quality of the video, some x 480 videos can also be watched with this screen size.
2. Use 1024 x 768 screen size for lower resolutions as a general rule. There are some x 360 videos which are very poor though, in which case a screen size of 800 x 600 may work better. Avoid a screen size of 640 x 480 as this seems to be dullish by nature.
3. The above recommendations are made using VLC with fullscreen interface (not fullscreen) and fit to screen options.
4. The tip to use "sharpen" as mentioned earlier in the thread is beneficial to use for all videos with a lower resolution than 1280 x 800.
5. Use the highest possible colour depht for your video card (generally this will be 32-bit for Windows or 24-bit for Puppy).

Last edited by nic007 on Thu 26 Apr 2018, 09:06; edited 1 time in total
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 09:05    Post subject:  

Have now tried the xrandr commands --newmode, --addmode, and --output, along with initial cvt 640 480 command given on that Arch page I provided link for. That added the 640x480 mode to the xrandr list, but wouldn't work. I similarly tried to add 640x400, which was again added to list successfully, but still didn't work on this 32bit Slacko Pup. But, as I said, these resolutions work in XenialDog64, on same machine, so I am pretty sure now that it is a driver issue difference and not to do with available xorg mode lines.

wiak

Xorg Video Wizard was the method I already gave. That is using xrandr, which is what the rest of my explanations have been about.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=989824#989824
nic007

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 09:13    Post subject:  

wiak wrote:
Have now tried the xrandr commands --newmode, --addmode, and --output, along with initial cvt 640 480 command given on that Arch page I provided link for. That added the 640x480 mode to the xrandr list, but wouldn't work. I similarly tried to add 640x400, which was again added to list successfully, but still didn't work on this 32bit Slacko Pup. But, as I said, these resolutions work in XenialDog64, on same machine, so I am pretty sure now that it is a driver issue difference and not to do with available xorg mode lines.

wiak

Xorg Video Wizard was the method I already gave. That is using xrandr, which is what the rest of my explanations have been about.

The resolution changer (I think this is xrandr) only lists 1280 x 800; 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 on my machine (and only the first two works), nothing else. To get ALL available modes check my above post (you need to use xorgwizard and select "more" as mentioned). Selecting your mode from there works.
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 09:19    Post subject:  

nic007 wrote:
wiak wrote:

wiak

The resolution changer (I think this is xrandr) only lists 1280 x 800; 1024 x 768 and 800 x 600 on my machine (and only the first two works), nothing else. To get ALL available modes check my above post (you need to use xorgwizard and select "more" as mentioned). Selecting your mode from there works.

Sorry, didn't notice you mentioning xorgwizard, which is a different matter. Yes, that probes for what is available. I still get 640x400 on my XenialDog64 but not in Slacko32 - so still think it is driver (different X server).

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 09:30    Post subject:  

If you were to try XenialDog64 it would be interesting to know if you get more resolutions available (as I do).

EDIT: One problem I have with this howto is that I'm not sure screen resolutions are necessarily mapped at pixel level. I'm not sure, but so much is to do with Virtual Screen Resolutions nowadays and I don't know how the hardware/software combination actually maps that to the physical display. Basically I just don't know - in terms of resulting 'display sharpness' it would depend on pixel accurate mapping obviously.

EDIT: I'll have a look at the modeline XenialDog64 generates and compare it to the one I the one the cvt command calculated (which failed to work in Slacko32). I may then try the XenialDog generated one in Slacko in case the difference is simply a small tweak required to the modeline. These modelines can be quite sensitive - I used to calculate them by hand around 10 years ago before these auto-calculating tools were available and it is surprising how a bit of tweaking can get resolutions working that seem impossible. As for blowing up the card - I doubt it - were warnings about that back then, but we are not talking about major differences to the hsync timings here, which might have over-worked the sync output driving electronic components (I was an electronics engineer in my past life before moving into Linux/computer engineering).

EDIT2: modeline pretty much irrelevant with most graphics cards nowadays (unless you really trying to force a mode, which may well not work). Enter command:

Code:
xrandr

or

Code:
xrandr -q

on its own to see list of outputs and modes your graphics card supports. Currently I believe my Slacko32 install is using different output (VGA-1 on my machine - odd it is picking mode values from that..., whilst XenialDog64 is using output LVDS1, which supports more modes). Different graphics drivers use different output names (sometimes), so I'm pretty sure Slacko just using a different driver, which I could probably change (may be using Radeon or Intel rather than ATI driver or non-modesetting or something - I'll have to check: my XenialDog64 install is using Kernel modesetting driver i915 for my graphics card). I'm just out of bed so will report more back later... Wink

You can find which graphics driver your system is currently using by viewing log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log. That usually also gives optimal modeline info, but often won't be modeline for lower res acually being used.

The following links from that previous Archwiki link I gave seem to explain the virtual resolution way it all works pretty good:

https://wiki.debian.org/XStrikeForce/HowToRandR12

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/Config/Resolution#Dynamic_setup_with_xrandr

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Xorg_RandR_1.2#the_Virtual_screen

Less relevant (I think) is the link they gave re modelines:

https://www.x.org/wiki/FAQVideoModes/#ObtainingmodelinesfromWindowsprogramPowerStrip

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Thu 26 Apr 2018, 20:28    Post subject:  

To cut a long story short:

My 32bit Slacko 6.3.2 installation is using a different driver (i965) to my XenialDog64 (I purposively set XenialDog up some time ago to use Kernel mode-setting i915 driver on my machine - but I no longer remember how I did that; it gave other advantages on my system, but I also can't remember what they were - hopefully I documented it on the forum somewhere but I'm not sure if I did).

So on my machine at least graphics driver used is critical as to what xrandr reports are available resolutions. I was wrong in previous post thinking VGA-1 output was somehow being used - it isn't - both distributions report LVDS1, which is a relief...

EDIT: Ah, here it is. Palemoon webbrowser (of all things...) didn't like modesetting driver in my original XenialDog setup, which was a surprise (only Palemoon... Firefox didn't care, nor Chrome...). I described my finding here:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=980406#980406

EDIT2: But actually, since then my XenialDog has been re-installed so using modesetting driver again (I'm not using Palemoon) but as I say it is a different driver (i965) to that used in my Slacko32 (i915) install.

EDIT3: The mystery remains. Now trying i965 in Slacko32 - but still not getting the extra resolutions XenialDog64 gets. Still different drivers of course (on XenialDog64 I'm using internal kernel modesetting driver - I'm remain pretty sure it is that driver difference that is giving different resolution capability - no more time for this so hope the info posted helps. (Try XenialDog...)

wiak
Page 2 of 2 [23 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: