get_java-1.1 - April 30, 2018

Core libraries and systems
tlchost

error in download

#21 Post by tlchost »

in tahr605, get_java reports it can not find the files to download the runtime environment

tlchost

Bump

#22 Post by tlchost »

Bump

rerwin

#23 Post by rerwin »

tlchost,
Sorry to be so slow in addressing the problem. Thanks for keeping after me about it.

I have added a fix package at the beginning of this thread, that changes 3 editing scripts that extract links to the download packages. This is just a matter of keeping up with Oracle's web page changes.

EDIT: Also uploaded get_java version 1.0.1, which contains the patch and now shows the version number (1.0.1) in the window title.
Last edited by rerwin on Sun 21 Aug 2016, 17:01, edited 1 time in total.

tlchost

#24 Post by tlchost »

rerwin wrote:tlchost,
Sorry to be so slow in addressing the problem. Thanks for keeping after me about it.
Thanks....works like a charm!

gcmartin

#25 Post by gcmartin »

+1

Semme

#26 Post by Semme »

Richard, your latest version built the SFS OK, but when loaded has none of its /bin binaries symlinked on Tahr64-605's $PATH.

A quick manual symlink to ~/my-applications/bin revealed:

Code: Select all

java version "1.8.0_102"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_102-b14)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.102-b14, mixed mode)
So, sans the above mention, fine here.

==

:idea: I suppose it's more elegant to append the path in /etc/profile.
Attachments
no-plugin-symlink-for-ootb-palemoon-aboard-tahr64-605.jpg
(15.01 KiB) Downloaded 664 times
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

rerwin

#27 Post by rerwin »

Semme,
If you let get_java load the SFS file when it asks, the links get set. If you load the SFS later, they are not set because the SFS loader does not know that they are needed. Therefore, you need to reboot after loading the SFS file, because the links get set during bootup.

Uten

#28 Post by Uten »

Nice job @rerwin

Unfortunately, as of writing it looks like the web pages has changed, breaking this tool.

For some reason I stumbled upon the beta version of get_java before I found this 1.0.1 version. I got the beta working. Unfortunately those changes could not be merged into the 1.0.1 config file.

Wonder if the problem is that the download page asks for eula confirmation before downloading?

If someone has time to figure it out and update this tool, it would be great.

Happy coding..:o)
Uten

rerwin

#29 Post by rerwin »

Uten,

Thanks for reporting this problem. I, too, noticed it but was a little slow in getting it resolved.

Package get_java-1.1 is now available for all puppies, because it is "gz" compressed. It does not work in Easy or the "dogs".

Richard

vtpup

#30 Post by vtpup »

Sorry Rerwin, it doesn't seem to work, again....
Attachments
Javaerrormsg.jpg
(80.34 KiB) Downloaded 235 times
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

vtpup

#31 Post by vtpup »

Another problem:

I tried manually downloading the JRE tarball from Oracle and installing w/ get-java 1.1. I chose the sfs option. It created an sfs, but it never worked.

I did try the immediate-use option, and also made sure it was selected for boot loading in Boot Manager. When it failed, I tried several times again by rebooting, but Java Control Panel never saw it as present.

Then I tried creating JRE as a .pet and loading with the Puppy package manager. This time it worked and Java Control Panel did see it. However several other of my programs stopped working.

I realized that the problem was that the Java Installer was installing to /opt/.

Because I run and test several puppies, I had long ago moved the opt folder to /mnt/home, and then I always link back to /. Apparently the Java Control Panel doesn't like this and overwrites the link with a new /opt/ folder, and installs JRE in that. Thus JRE works but my other apps in /mnt/home/opt don't.

However, I was able to move the /opt/ JRE contents over to /mnt/home/opt/, and then delete the /opt/ folder and make a new link back. And everything worked after that.

I suspect something similar happened when the sfs version failed to install in /mnt/home/opt/
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]