Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 16 Oct 2018, 10:14
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Using extrasfs in Fatdog64 721 boot parameters [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Uten

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018, 08:52    Post subject:  Using extrasfs in Fatdog64 721 boot parameters [SOLVED]
Subject description: Mounts entier disk read only. But do post your thoughts.

I\m new to extrasfs. The last time I tried it I did not get it to work and then I forgot about it.
But as It happens I'm preparing a seminar on linux for the local MakerSpace. As PuppyLinux is the best entry level system I have come across. And the fact that it seems to "just work" on anything you throw it at. I would like to use it as the foundation for the seminar.

Among the flavors Fatdog64 is my favorite at the moment. Personally I always use frugal mode and dont mind doing the few configurations I need to do to get keyboard, wifi and the latest firefox up and running.

To a spoiled windows user in automatic mode ( and a new computer every second year because the computer gets slow *grin* ) a system that was frugal but ready configured with the right keyboard, the latest firefox/java, and help scrren open at boot, would be ideal.

We can achive this by using the extrasfs parameter at boot time, exept for a few snags.

Code:
/dev/sdb2 on /tmp/extrasfs/mnt/1 type ext2 (ro,relatime,block_validity,barrier,user_xattr)

The extrasfs functionality loads the disk read only. And I'm not able to mount it read-write afterwards, unless I unload the sfs's and unmount the disk.

My grub2 menuentry:
Code:
menuentry "/isos/Fatdog64-721.iso med devx.sfs" {
   search --set=isoroot --fs-uuid 2a0d270d-38d3-45e7-bda8-bf02d4232a2f

set isofile=/isos/Fatdog64-721.iso
   echo "loopback:=(${isoroot})${isofile}"
   loopback loop (${isoroot})${isofile}
   linux (loop)/vmlinuz rootfstype=ramfs savefile=none extrasfs=uuid:2a0d270d-38d3-45e7-bda8-bf02d4232a2f:/fd64-721/fd64-devx_721.sfs
   initrd (loop)/initrd   
}

Loading a personal.sfs with my settings and firefox-link-to-current.sfs woorks great. So if I could get passed the readonly mount I would be in bussiness, as they say Cool

Note: oading the devx with extrasfs messes up my (root/spoot) home area. ( can not load Seamonkey and other similar stuff ).

Anyone have experiences they could share? Good or bad, does not matter.

Do I go about this the wrong way? Is there better solutions? I did look for @RSH's LazY pupp, which I think did something along the gate of what I want, but @RSH has been quiet for some years and Lazy pup's web page is advertising pokemon.

tc
Uten

Last edited by Uten on Tue 01 May 2018, 11:01; edited 1 time in total
drunkjedi

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018, 10:10    Post subject:  

If entire partition is loaded as extrasfs, I don't think you can make it read/write, as in aufs stack only top most layer can be R/W, which is your savefile/folder. (I have not tested loading this, will try and report back).

I am not that knowledgeable, so I may be interpreting your need wrongly.
Are you saying that you load your settings.sfs and firefox.sfs as extrasfs and the partition that they are in mounts as read only?
I never hsd any problem like this.
Try posting in Fatdog's thread, you may get more replies.

I load devx and 32bit sfs as extra sfs and I copy them in ram.
I never had any problems with them messing with my root/spot home area.
I have never used grub2 so I can't comment on that one either.
Here's my boot parameters list from extlinux config file.
Code:
rootfstype=ramfs waitdev=0 basesfs=expand:device:sda7:/FD64-721/fd64.sfs savefile=ram:device:sda7:/fd64save extrasfs=ram:/mnt/home/fd64-devx_721.sfs,ram:/mnt/home/32bit-fd64_721.sfs
nic007

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018, 10:36    Post subject:  

Fatdog is not Puppy as far as I know??????
Uten

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018, 11:00    Post subject:  

@drunkenjedi: Thanks for posting your boot line. The ram: parameter did the trick. When used the disk the sfs is located on is unloaded after the sfs is loaded. and as a result it can be mounted again in the regular fashion.

@nic007: Laughing Laughing Puppies can be fatdog's to.
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: