Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Jun 2018, 07:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
XenialPup keyboard layout problem
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
markwiering

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018, 09:10    Post subject:  XenialPup keyboard layout problem
Subject description: XenialPup doesn't save keyboard layout

Hello there,

I have an extremely frustrating problem with XenialPup regarding the keyboard layout.

1. Every time I add as my keyboard layout "US - international with dead keys", it doesn't work. No matter what. I change it ten times in a row and restart X ten times in a row: nothing. It's still just the US keyboard layout, without the dead keys. All the while, when I try this in Tahrpup, everything works immediately. Why doesn't the keyboard layout "US internatoinal with dead keys" work with Xenialpup? The option is there, but it doesn't seem to do anything.

2. Every time I add "Russian" to the keyboard layout as the alternative keyboard layout, it works, at that time. After restarting X, it also works. However, after a computer reboot, the added Russian keyboard layout is gone. I then have to manually restore the Russian keyboard layout.

Why is that? Why do I have absolutely no possibility of using "US international with dead keys" ? And why doesn't the keyboard layout get saved? Why do I have to reconfigure my keyboard layout after EVERY boot-up?

Tahrpup doesn't have any of these problems, but XenialPup has. Why?

Is there a specific way to solve this in XenialPup? Or do I have to wait until the next update?
bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018, 19:57    Post subject:  

See if this helps any.

There is a script in /startup/disabled called:

keyboardlayoutfix.

You just drag that to the startup directory.

Reboot so the change is saved and the script gets used on startup.

Does that fix it?

bigpup

PostPosted: Fri 27 Apr 2018, 20:03    Post subject:  

Please, when you state a Puppy version.
Be very specific.
Xenialpup could be about 8 different versions.

I am assuming you are talking about xenialpup64 7.5

markwiering

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2018, 06:10    Post subject:  

Thank you, Bigpup! Smile

Yes, I am indeed using Xenialpup 7.5 64-bit.

Unfortunately, putting keyboardlayoutfix into /root/Startup only solved one of my problems. Now, after each boot-up, the keyboard variant "US international with dead keys" is being remembered, meaning that I can easily produce letters like é, ä, ô and č.

However, XenialPup 7.5 64-bit still forgets the alternative keyboard layout. I still have to manually add Russian to the keyboard layout after each boot-up. Also, after having added the Russian keyboard layout, XenialPup seems to forget the keyboard variant "US international with dead keys". When the Russian keyboard layout is added, I can switch between keyboard layouts, but I lose the possibility to produce letters like é, ä, ô and č in the US keyboard layout, since the dead keys are suddenly gone.

Is there also a way for XenialPup to remember alternative keyboard layouts after a reboot? And is there also a way to use multiple keyboard layouts without forgetting the keyboard variant of the first keyboard layout?

Because in Tahrpup, after each boot-up, I can switch between "US international with dead keys" and "Russian" with one button (Right Control), where the Scroll Lock LED starts shining when the Russian one is activated. I really like that system; switching between two keyboard layouts with just one button and even being informed by looking at my keyboard LEDs which one is active.

I wonder: why is all this functionality lost in XenialPup?
bigpup

PostPosted: Sat 28 Apr 2018, 14:33    Post subject:  

As I understand it, that should have fixed the problem.

I put a post in the Xenialpup64 7.5 topic about your problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=990092#990092
666philb (the developer of Xenialpup) should see it and hopefully he will have an answer for you or someone else may have more ideas.

A new version of Puppy never gets really bug tested until it is released and people start really using it.
Tahrpup was tested to the max and has been well used.

markwiering

PostPosted: Tue 01 May 2018, 04:33    Post subject:  

Thank you for reporting this problem to the person who made XenialPup64 7.5.

To summarise, my situation is as follows.
When I booted XenialPup, I added a keyboard variant (US international with dead keys), which did not work at all. Although it said that it was added, I still couldn't produce letters like é, ž, č, ô etcetera. Then I added the keyboard variant Russian, which did work. I could switch between two keyboard layouts, but without the dead keys in the US-layout, unfortunately.

However, after a reboot, the Russian keyboard layout was gone and I was stuck with only the default keyboard layout again (US), also without the dead keys, because they didn't work at all.

After moving keyboardfix from the disabled subfolder of /root/Startup into /root/Startup itself, one of the problems were solved. Now I could configure the keyboard variant "US international with dead keys" and it even remembered it after a reboot. Very Happy

However, the alternative keyboard layout, Russian, was still begin forgotten after every reboot. After each boot-up, I can use "US international with dead keys". However, whenever I manually load "Russian" as the alternative keyboard layout, XenialPup suddenly forgets the keyboard variant "US international with dead keys". Although I can switch between two keyboard variants, it's in once session only and I lose again the possibility to produce letters like é, č and ž until the next reboot. In the next reboot, "US international with dead keys" has been restored, but Russian is gone again. When I manually add it, the "US international with dead keys" is gone again.

I hope my bug report is clear. Smile
Auronius

PostPosted: Fri 04 May 2018, 09:59    Post subject:  

I have similar problem, but with Latvian keyboard layout variants. Hope it will be fixed soon.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: