Current Browsers for Puppy Linux Developers and Users

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
peebee

#41 Post by peebee »

oui wrote:I find wrong that the browsers needing frequent upgrades like seamonkey or firefox are included in the main distribution's sfs. some puppy's uses a second sfs (zdrv). it would be better to do the same with the browsers, add a "standard_browser.sfs" in each iso so that users can update themself (or find in the forum) an/that supplementary sfs and enjoy so an actual system concerning browser security!
All my builds do exactly that....

For LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and Upup-Artful-Aardvark and Upup-Bionic-Beaver

Light is the browser in the adrv which can be replaced by Chromium, Firefox, FirefoxESR, Palemoon, Seamonkey, Slimjet, Vivaldi, Min etc.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

kuman11

#42 Post by kuman11 »

8Geee wrote:In FireFox there is this entry in about:config

browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled

Set this to TRUE

PaleMoon and SeaMonkey sould be similar if not the same.

Regards
8Geee
Which one of the words I need to change in
'browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled'

Great! Thanks.

hamoudoudou

Light 47 For a Slacko

#43 Post by hamoudoudou »

seamonkey, palemoon ... no trouble with them.. But QtWeb no.. i need better.. i am searching for Light 47 For a Slacko remasterized by Hungariand dev (Slegopen)
Light 48 and 49 ask GTK 3 which is too much.
That is just to try LIGHT with a Puppy Slacko . Sure i will not loose my time searching, i saw the answer in the forum.. Searching..

kuman11

#44 Post by kuman11 »

hamoudoudou,

Are u talking about my question or else? I couldn't find this folder
about:config anyway

so I'm still stuck with it (the solution) ...

a_salty_dogg

#45 Post by a_salty_dogg »

@kuman11

Open your browser and in the url bar of an empty tab type "about:config" (without the quotation marks but make sure to include the colon between about and config) and hit return.

The first time you do this, you'll be presented with a warning saying something like you'll promise to be careful; just click "OK".

Then in the next window which opens type or paste into the white search bar at the top "browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled" (again without the quotation marks).
This should locate that config line for you which is the one you need to edit,
If its value is showing as "false", double clicking your cursor anywhere on the line will change that value to "true".

Then close the tab, close and restart the browser, and you should be sorted.

Note this line appears in both Firefox & Light browsers' config settings but doesn't seem to exist in Palemoon, so don't bother if you're using that.

Please do be careful whenever you're working in "about:config" and never edit anything you're not totally sure about. There will be no confirmation dialogue boxes

kuman11

cache

#46 Post by kuman11 »

a_salty_dogg,

is the Firefox cache the same as the file manager cache?
I changed this though a newly saved thumbnail from the browser still appeared in the FM ...

Thanks

fredx181

#47 Post by fredx181 »

Re: "browser.pagethumbnails.capturing_disabled" set to "true" in about:config

Just for info: The newest Firefox (Quantum) doesn't have this option in about:config

Fred

a_salty_dogg

#48 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Do you mean in your ROXfiler file manager, when you open a folder containing images the icons will show a thumbnail of each image in the file? That's a totally different function from the browser thumbnail displays which you just disabled but just as easily fixed.

Will you first please say which Puppy you're using, to be sure?

(Thanks for that info, Fredx181, appreciated, I only checked in my Firefox ESR & Light 49, but it now sounds like it may not be the thumbnails in his browser he's trying to disable)

kuman11

ROXfiler file manager

#49 Post by kuman11 »

Exactly!

It's X-Slacko Slim 4.4

I clear the FF cache periodically so it does the job, anyway.

Btw is Light any good of a browser?

a_salty_dogg

#50 Post by a_salty_dogg »

OK, open any window in ROXfiler and right click in an empty space.
From the menu choose "Options".
In the left pane of the window which then opens expand "Filer windows" (if necessary) and click on "Thumbnails", then in the right pane untick the box next to "Show image thumbnails".
It might also be a good idea to click on "Purge thumbnails disk cache" since I know from personal experience this can become a huge file which can rapidly fill up the free space of your save file when you visit folders on your drives containing lots of images.
Click "OK"
Done!

Have a read through this thread which has links to a few different builds of Light 49 and opinions on it.
Or try it for yourself (having first backed up your save file, so nothing lost if you don't get on with it); light-49.0.linux-i686_6.sfs, available here, works "out of the box" loaded in Slacko 6.3.0, on which your X-Slacko Slim 4.4 seems to be based. (I also needed to install "apulse-0.1.11-i686-wz.pet" from here to enable sound in web pages).

kuman11

#51 Post by kuman11 »

It seems I've mislead u, it's not ROXfiler but Thunar, ROXfiler was in GParted so I still had that impression in my mind, sorry.

This doesn't have these options.

p.s. I found an option "Show image thumbnails" & put it on "never". Don't see the other though.

rufwoof

Re: ROXfiler file manager

#52 Post by rufwoof »

kuman11 wrote:I clear the FF cache periodically
In firefox I just Menu, Edit, Preferences, Cached Web Content and tick the Override Automatic Cache and set the associated box to Limit Cache To 10MB which is enough for my general needs whilst not taking up too much disk space to cache things. If you were on a slow internet link (modem or whatever) or a pay per MB downloaded link only then might you want to cache more content to reduce how much was being downloaded.

hamoudoudou

Opera 45

#53 Post by hamoudoudou »

Opera 45 very pleasant to use (tested in UpUp Bionic version by csipesz)

8Geee

#54 Post by 8Geee »

I'm rather strict about caches in a browser as its a backdoor for spectre/meltdown using JavaScript. The essential ones that FireFox needs are set to the cache-size of the MPU. All the other ones are zero.

To Each Their Own
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

josepinto

Re: ROXfiler file manager

#55 Post by josepinto »

rufwoof wrote:
kuman11 wrote:I clear the FF cache periodically
In firefox I just Menu, Edit, Preferences, Cached Web Content and tick the Override Automatic Cache and set the associated box to Limit Cache To 10MB which is enough for my general needs whilst not taking up too much disk space to cache things. If you were on a slow internet link (modem or whatever) or a pay per MB downloaded link only then might you want to cache more content to reduce how much was being downloaded.
In Firefox 60 and up:
You will have to modify the related pref(s) directly on the about:config page.

browser.cache.disk.capacity (max: 1048576; 1024 MB)
browser.cache.disk.smart_size.enabled

You can open the about:config page via the location/address bar. You can accept the warning and click "I accept the risk!" to continue.