i installed xubuntu desktop
and xfce

all parametars work ok
good, very good job...

regards and thanks!

ITSMERSH

#42 Post by ITSMERSH »

watchdog wrote:
ITSMERSH wrote: After installing above listed files into BionicDog I couldn't find anything to setup APN and phone number etc.

What would I need to do to connect to the web then?
I would try to use the installed wvdial. Here an example of wvdial.conf:

Code: Select all

[Dialer Defaults]
Init1 = ATZ
Init2 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init3 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","internet.wind"
Carrier Check = yes
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Baud = 460800
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
ISDN = 0
Phone = *99***1#
Password = ''
Username = ''
Stupid Mode = 0
Change internet.wind with your APN and change phone number.
Thanks watchdog.

I will try this and report the results.

zagreb999

kdegraphics

#43 Post by zagreb999 »

fred,
kdegraphics- okular...
can not open hdd drives...
these apps can not work in gtk...

see screenshot

regards
Attachments
Screenshot_20180505_074029.png
screen
(150.57 KiB) Downloaded 484 times

backi

#44 Post by backi »

Hello everybody !
Tried to download Smplayer with Synaptic .-----Does not run .

root@live:~# smplayer
_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address /usr/bin/x-session-manager
Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket
This is SMPlayer v. 18.2.2 (revision 8937) running on Linux
Aborted

As far as i remember Bionic-Dog-alpha did download and run it .....(but not quite sure ).

Is it just me ....or did anybody else experience this too ?

Regards !

fredx181

#45 Post by fredx181 »

@backi, strange, I get the same message from terminal, but smplayer works well for me. (don't know what the message means exactly, btw)

root@live:~# smplayer
_IceTransOpen: Unable to Parse address /usr/bin/x-session-manager
Qt: Session management error: Could not open network socket
This is SMPlayer v. 18.2.2 (revision 8937) running on Linux
@zagreb999
can not open hdd drives...
these apps can not work in gtk...
Yes, you need to go in (mounpoint) /mnt/sdaX to open files.
If I remember well, you asked about this earlier, and solved it by installing gvfs + dependencies.

Fred

zagreb999

vlc-gtk kdegraphics-gtk

#46 Post by zagreb999 »

thanks fred

bionicdog is fantastic

but there is not vlc gtk
and kdegraphics gtk

it is not same as in debiandog...

can you, plesae, create squashfs
as for ddog?

fredx181

Re: vlc-gtk kdegraphics-gtk

#47 Post by fredx181 »

zagreb999 wrote:thanks fred

bionicdog is fantastic

but there is not vlc gtk
and kdegraphics gtk

it is not same as in debiandog...

can you, plesae, create squashfs
as for ddog?
Hi zagreb, I wouldn't know how, the vlc squashfs I made last time for Stretch was from deb-multimedia.org repository, I don't think there's vlc with gtk compiled available from Ubuntu repos.

Fred

ITSMERSH

#48 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks again watchdog.

Here are the results: I'm online with BionicDog, doing this post. :D

I used the modified example of wvdial.conf, copied to /etc/wvdial.conf.

But first I had to find out wvdial needs to be used from console, as I couldn't find a menu entry. Also there seems to be no GUI to setup wvdial.conf.

Never mind. Internet's working now.

Now the not working audio needs to be fixed. Could not find any option to setup sound cards like it is in Puppy. Any hint?
Last edited by ITSMERSH on Sun 06 May 2018, 02:26, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#49 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok,

I got the audio working half the way.

Gnome MPlayer has option to select a sound card and it remembers the last settings next time. After changing default start action for .mp3, .wav, .mp4 and .mpg I can play now most recent files in Gnome MPlayer by default.

However: alsa mixer also has option to select a sound card, but it doesn't remember the last settings. So every time I need to select the sound card in alsa mixer after a reboot, to have access to the mixer controls, to change volume etc.

Any chance to get alsa mixer remembering its last settings?
Attachments
bionicdog-20180506023838.jpg
(62.66 KiB) Downloaded 1514 times

hamoudoudou

Gnome-mplayer has been the default media player

#50 Post by hamoudoudou »

Gnome-mplayer has been the default media player for Puppy Linux for years. In spite of some trouble in some versions, you can trust it.. MPV is for change a little bit. I wait some weeks before installing BionicDOG and upupbionic. Speed is much faster. But to we really need to go faster.. when boot is one minute, for a working session often more than one hour... ?
Video with no sound is a nogo item, boot speed is just a challenge.

ITSMERSH

#51 Post by ITSMERSH »

Ok.

I converted a retrovol 0.13 .pet package to .deb and installed that .deb package into BionicDog. Works out of the box. So, I added a script to /root/Startup calling retrovol -hide to have its icon in system tray.

I had to select the sound card again, though retrovol remembers last settings.

There's a file /root/.config/volumeicon/volumeicon which I thought it's for the alsa mixer icon in system tray, but modifying didn't change anything. So I disabled file /usr/local/bin/alsamixertray (renamed it to alsamixertray-disabled) to get rid of that icon. Rebooted, retrovol sits in tray and works nice.

So, audio setup for the basic needs successfully solved.

After this I had to check what about JACK audio, especially qjackctl and jack_mixer. Downloaded all my preferred audio applications with synaptic (apt-get update first). After installation of qjackctl, jack_mixer, hydrogen, zynaddsubfx and qtractor, I was able to run them all, doing the connections and to load and play a song, composed in my LazY Puppy Art Studio based on tahr 6.0.2. This has qtractor 0.5.11 besides BionicDog already offers 0.8.5.

That's pretty cool!

Really! 8)

Edit: that's somehow strange. After installing all that programs and doing a reboot, mpv is gone. :shock:
Attachments
bionicdog-20180506044730.jpg
(60.66 KiB) Downloaded 1467 times

zagreb999

qt confg-vlc-okular

#52 Post by zagreb999 »

regards
qt config-vlc-okular...
are those apps can be cofigurated
in gtk+ with qt config...?

repository for bionic as for ddog...?

fredx181

#53 Post by fredx181 »

Hi RSH, thanks for thoroughly testing and the feedback !
Any chance to get alsa mixer remembering its last settings?
Don't know why alsamixer doesn't remember soundcard selected.
Maybe you missed my earlier reply about sound-card-selector, which should do it.
fredx181 wrote:That's strange that the sound was gone, there's program from rcrsn51 in repo: sound-card-selector, it might help solving the problem (run after install from Menu > System)
Install with Synaptic or from terminal using apt-get:
Code:
apt-get update # might be required
apt-get install sound-card-selector
But anyway, good that you solved it by installing retrovol.
Edit: that's somehow strange. After installing all that programs and doing a reboot, mpv is gone.
Yes, probably if you would try to install mpv again, it would uninstall qjackctl (and more jack related packages).
That's wrong dependency setting in mpv package from custom repo, I fixed that now (newer mpv package), so you can install mpv again (and youtube-viewer if desired, because that was removed also) (because mpv is dependency of it)

apt-get update
apt-get install mpv youtube-viewer
Fred

ITSMERSH

#54 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi fredx181.

Yes, I missed that reply about sound-card-selector. Haven't read very much here, just downloaded and tested. It was a bit of surprise that sound was not working. Trapped into that issue just once since I'm using Puppy. :shock:

I keep it as it is setup by now, since everything currently needed is working. Don't need mpv for real but I would like to use vlc, which won't run under root permissions. Terminal said something about a vlc wrapper, but I didn't understand that really, since I'm not a native English speaker.

Youtube viewer is not needed also. Usually I download from youtube to watch videos - using a firefox plugin companion app.

It is also new to me, that some programs are being removed on installation of other programs, so I must be very careful on installing additional programs from now on. :lol:

Is there something like a system restore in BionicDog like in Windows OS, in case something's going wrong?

fredx181

#55 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:Don't need mpv for real but I would like to use vlc, which won't run under root permissions. Terminal said something about a vlc wrapper, but I didn't understand that really, since I'm not a native English speaker.
To make vlc run as root, this works (it's a hack of course, and has to be done again if you possibly upgrade vlc in the future):

sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
It is also new to me, that some programs are being removed on installation of other programs, so I must be very careful on installing additional programs from now on.
Normally it shouldn't, but that can happen because of the very strict package management, in this case it was because of a mistake I made with the mpv package dependency setting.
Is there something like a system restore in BionicDog like in Windows OS, in case something's going wrong?
Not really, but you can make a backup of your save file or folder, and load that if something goes wrong

Fred

wiak

Cast2Chrome bash/gtkdialog app

#56 Post by wiak »

For those who don't have or want to use vlc or google chrome browser for casting to a chromecast dongle, here is a lightweight solution: bash/gtkdialog Cast2Chrome, which can cast local media files, or online url streamable media, or even from youtube urls (if optional youtube-dl is installed, which is small python program and highly recommended).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 012#991012

It can also cast media that is otherwise unsupported by google chromecast - does so by transcoding on the fly (if optional ffmpeg is also installed).

Was developed and tested on XenialDog64, and tested on XenialPup32, but will certainly also work on Bionic...

You might need to tweek the organisation of the deb packages, Fred - I tend to just throw these deb constructions together.

These google chromecast dongles are great - make my old tv like a smart tv. I got one recently for 'free' - well, from flybuys accumulated from my supermarket shopping card actually...

wiak

ITSMERSH

#57 Post by ITSMERSH »

Am I right, assuming BionicDog and UPup Bionic Beaver is build from equal repositories at ubuntu?

If so, than I'm a bit impressed and confused to the bones.

As mentioned, I got all my preferred audio applications to work in BionicDog.

Though, UPup Bionic Beaver fails on this by just installing qjackctl. After trying to run qjackctl, the system hung up and I needed to hit Strg+Alt+Backspace, to start X again. So testings on the other programs will fail as well.

Good, to have it working in BionicDog! :D
sed -i 's/geteuid/getppid/' /usr/bin/vlc
That's also some new fact to me. Function sed can be used on a binary?

Where can I download a full package of DE language files? Is there any?

wiak

#58 Post by wiak »

ITSMERSH wrote:Am I right, assuming BionicDog and UPup Bionic Beaver is build from equal repositories at ubuntu?

If so, than I'm a bit impressed and confused to the bones.

As mentioned, I got all my preferred audio applications to work in BionicDog.

Though, UPup Bionic Beaver fails on this by just installing qjackctl. After trying to run qjackctl, the system hung up and I needed to hit Strg+Alt+Backspace, to start X again. So testings on the other programs will fail as well.

Good, to have it working in BionicDog! :D
Same repositories, but different results you obtained probably the advantage of dpkg/apt (over Puppy Package Manager), I'd say, which downloads dependencies pretty much flawlessly. Could alternatively be, that Puppy may sometimes use its own (not quite compatible) versions of some libs or other bits and pieces. Either way it does tend to be occasionally easier getting a package (specially a large one) working in a truly Debian/Ubuntu compatible Dog.

Puppy tends to be a bit of a mongrel, which has the advantage that it often uses hand-crafted smaller versions of big apps, but original iso size is much the same as a Dog. Of course there is really nothing to stop someone using hand-crafted packages in Dogs too (but most wouldn't recommend that because, unless carefully done, would certainly mess with dpkg's idea of what is on the system - which would tend to break its perfect working - but no worse than a Puppy, with PPM, in that sense really).

squashfs files, in particular, can be arranged to be reasonably safe on Dogs, so it is quite common to use a Puppy-created sfs and not worry too much about it I feel - depends if the sfs modifies other things, which would be a problem for dpkg not knowing about that. Of course Puppy PPM itself hasn't a clue usually what any sfs is doing to the system...

wiak

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#59 Post by Flash »

I downloaded bionicdog64_4-21-18.iso and burned it to a DVD with burniso2cd. Like every other late-model Puppy or Puppy variant I've tried in the last month, it won't boot. That last line in the screenshot showed up after I unthinkingly plugged a SD card into the reader. Pay no attention to it.
Attachments
BionicDog64 boot fail.jpg
(112.2 KiB) Downloaded 1174 times

wiak

#60 Post by wiak »

@Flash

When you get to that # command line prompt take a look at the X log:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

You an save a copy using:

cat /var/log/Xlog.0.log

and post it here for analysis.

We need to see what graphics driver your machine needs. Might also need some dmesg video-related or graphics-related info that identifies your graphics card. You probably just need to apt install appropriate xserver driver for your card. Should be able to configure WiFi or Ethernet internet connection from that command prompt. Not sure if dogs contain command line WiFi utility - I'm out and on android tablet at the moment.

Command for trying to start X is startx

wiak