puppy linux mentioned in this article

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
nosystemdthanks

puppy linux mentioned in this article

#1 Post by nosystemdthanks »

https://sysdfree.wordpress.com/2018/05/03/205/

hi.

not really counting on a conversation, mostly came to post this. oh and heres the quote:
I’m still going to get outranked by Puppy Linux and Obarun– I’m totally fine with that. There’s no reason that should bother me. And I would like to remove more Freedesktop stuff!

Unless we are going to standardise the fight against systemd, I would say we should be able to talk about the results of each effort. That’s what the ranking is. And if people are really happy including libsystemd in a systemd-free distro, it shouldn’t bother them that there are 3 other distros that remove it.
if someone asks:

puppy is very free of systemd. everyone knows this.

devuan is made to make people free of systemd. but puppy is probably more free of systemd. i can certainly download the latest and check if this is still true-- but i know what i expect to find:

less systemd that devuan has. not really devuan bashing per se... more like credit where credit is due.

have fun!

april

#2 Post by april »

What the heck is systemd ?

Something like this would help me to understand your post a bit
https://www.pcworld.com/article/2841873 ... r-you.html

nosystemdthanks

#3 Post by nosystemdthanks »

april wrote:What the heck is systemd ?
if you havent heard of it, you might prefer to start from a puppys perspective: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93586

its pretty much the same thing anywhere you go, depending on whether you like it or not. note that puppy does not have systemd. if it did, this thread would not exist. note also that i consider it a very good thing that puppy does not have systemd.
Something like this would help me to understand your post a bit
agreed, thanks for the link, i took it for granted that everyone has heard of it by now-- that part was my fault. the link youve provided should be as good a start as the one ive provided to the old forum thread. (with more than 350 posts.)

darry19662018

#4 Post by darry19662018 »

Well it may have started as an initialization system alternative but now its f-------- things up big time like for example xorg-xserver bugs in Stretch/Devuan ASCII.

Though I use Devuan as well as Puppy I'm considering going back to Jessie if this ASCII version of Devuan doesn't work out. Anyway long live Puppy and the exciting developments going on here.

nosystemdthanks

#5 Post by nosystemdthanks »

darry19662018 wrote:for example xorg-xserver bugs in Stretch/Devuan ASCII.
i can confirm that. first, im told that they have a plan for that (but im also told it probably wont happen for ascii. hooray?) probably not the thread for it (im the op, you may certainly be my guest if you think it fits) but id like to hear more about your personal experience with xorg in ascii. just details, or anything youve heard.

note that i have mixed puppy tahr (then librepup) with jessie in the past, and that turned into my own devuan-based distro which i am presently running dist-upgraded to devuan ascii.

note also that although devuan is not based on pinning via the package installer, i pin to keep systemd out regardless, thus xorg did not upgrade.

so on two laptops side by side, i am using (right this moment)

* a devuan-ascii-based installation with xorg and mpv pinned to the older (devuan jessie) versions. i didnt deliberately mix them; the xorg just never upgraded.

* also, a hard-drive-free machine with a devuan-ascii-based iso booted to ram, so i am actually running the latest xorg on that machine. but that version of xorg pulls in libsystemd0. the one with xorg pinned, i was able to remove libsystemd0 and im using it to post this.

darry19662018

#6 Post by darry19662018 »

Well I can tell you so far I'm one of the lucky ones touch wood but having to roll xorg back to Jessie well sorry but that is not really good enough. When I was using Sid Xorg-Server bugs were around for a long while before Stretch was released.

nosystemdthanks

#7 Post by nosystemdthanks »

darry19662018 wrote:but having to roll xorg back to Jessie well sorry but that is not really good enough.
i hear you. optins better than nothing but three years in, if devuan really wants to take donations just to remove software from debian (and no matter how you dress it up, this really is the point of devuan-- to remove an unwanted init) then they need to step it up.

"we dont have enough volunteers." yep, i get it-- but for all the time and equipment and yes, volunteers invested-- they need to find a way to get those volunteers. imo they are making decisions that cost them, then complaining they dont have what they need-- but they dont take quite enough critique-- they dont really answer for this enough-- and their priorities are set too low. this year, people who care about devuan should push them. hold them to their promises. they just did another "we give up!" april fools a month ago. but thats almost closer to the truth each year. id still like them to succeed in what they set out to do. three years with minimal accountability is a luxury-- now get them to put up. theyve still got my money, right? im happier with refracta which is downstream from devuan.

darry19662018

#8 Post by darry19662018 »

I will finish by saying this because I have derailed your thread somewhat.. I don't blame Devuan because what they have undertaken is a great headache take the mess that is Debian packages and try to clean them up while Systemad tenacles spread that mess more and more into the system. So it lies at the heart of Debian which is becoming more and more a mess which was previously known for its rock solid stability.

darry19662018

#9 Post by darry19662018 »

Well Puppy uses Busybox and what a lovely system it is small and fast.

Lately I have enjoyed running frugal and using a save folder - all very cool and so Puppy.:)

8Geee

#10 Post by 8Geee »

I see that the author in the original link does not like Freedesktop-org stuff (That would be Geany). I don't think leafpad or pico/nano can substitute, can they?

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

nosystemdthanks

#11 Post by nosystemdthanks »

8Geee wrote:I see that the author in the original link does not like Freedesktop-org stuff
i am the author in the original link. and no, i dont like freedesktop.org. despite my dislike of systemd and the feeling that we (probably everyone) should continue to avoid it, i happen to agree with most of the point made by this guy about freedesktop.org: https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/20 ... 01031.html
(That would be Geany).
i dont personally use geany, i like tabs in practically everything except text editors, but i am not against geany i would probably say its "really not bad" at this point.

i dont know what the connection (if any) between geany and freedesktop is: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/geany ... er/AUTHORS

I don't think leafpad or pico/nano can substitute, can they?
they do for me! i was not implying that leafpad will ever suit the needs or convenience of a person who prefers a tabbed text editor, nor that users with those preferences should ever switch to leafpad instead.

on the contrary-- for a text editor i dont use, i find geany has more merit all the time.

i wish we didnt need gtk, but that affects geany as much as leafpad, and vice versa-- as well as the pale moon web browser im typing this reply into.