TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
smokey01

#41 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey

According to the bootlog. Your savefile was not found. Where did you put the savefile and its filename?

try the devx of slacko 6.3.2 first
The savefile is in the same directory as the ISO files, EG:
/mnt/sdc1/tazpupa4

I tried slacko 6999 but it didn't load. A box popped up asking which application to use to load the sfs file. I thought you had on the fly working?

darry19662018

#42 Post by darry19662018 »

Ok Alpha 4 running on this Dell Inspiron 6400 my this thing makes me giddy with its speed.

Puppy installer works with frugal installs only - thats ok I like frugal installs with a save folder option, Anyway this exciting Mistfire and good enough to be a daily runner. Will keep playing.:)

Like others have said take your time with it and enjoy the ride.

mistfire

#43 Post by mistfire »

@smokey sad to say but root account on slitaz does not support file association. Use sfs-load application to load the sfs file or use tux account to double click and load sfs file. Dont worry I will try fix that problem

smokey01

#44 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey sad to say but root account on slitaz does not support file association. Use sfs-load application to load the sfs file or use tux account to double click and load sfs file. Dont worry I will try fix that problem
The devx for slacko-6999 seems to work, well gcc looks for input files anyway.

sfs-load works fine as user tux.

I still can't get any persistence. The savefile can't be found. Does the save file have to be at the root level of the drive or partition? I have it one level deep along with the OS files.

Please post a working stanza for a frugal installation.

Thanks

mistfire

#45 Post by mistfire »

@smokey01 I need some deep analysis on it. The best solution was get all the files in the /initrd/tmp folder and send it here to for more detailed analysis. Did you use save file or save folder?

If you use the psubdir folder parameter then the savefile must put on the folder where the name is specified on psubdir
Last edited by mistfire on Thu 10 May 2018, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#46 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey01 I need some deep analysis on it. The best solution was get all the files in the /initrd/tmp folder and send it here to for more detailed analysis. Did you use save file or save folder?
Savefile @ /mnt/sdc1/tazpupa4/tazpupsave.4fs

rg66

#47 Post by rg66 »

To get sfs mount/load working as root just add: application/x-squashfs-image=filemnt.desktop to /usr/share/applications/defaults.list

To get puppy icons working with faenza theme delete /usr/share/icons/SliTaz-Faenza/48x48/mimetypes/application-x-exacutable and rename application-x-generic to application-x-exacutable, also do this for 16x16 then run "gtk-update-icon-cache -i /usr/share/icons/SliTaz-Faenza" from terminal.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Keef

#48 Post by Keef »

Finally got online...

RF-Kill was blocking the wifi, but no rfkill available to unblock it. I compiled it elsewhere and used that - easier than recompiling busybox.
Posting from Midori now.

Terry H

#49 Post by Terry H »

Using alpha 4 I am unable to access an ntfs partition. Checked that ntfs-3g is installed. The partiton shows the mounted indicator in pcmanfm. When I look atthe Description in pcmanfm, it shows, inode/x-corrupted type. I get the following Message Box displayed.

Error

The specified directory '/media/Windows' is not valid.

smokey01

#50 Post by smokey01 »

@mistfire
I just saved a session with the save to folder option and it seems to be persistent. The savefile does not work but the folder does.

Posting from Alpha4 with savefolder.
Attachments
smokey.tar.gz
My full /initrd/tmp directory tarred. Fake gz.
(22 KiB) Downloaded 100 times

smokey01

#51 Post by smokey01 »

@mistfire do you know where I can get a copy of the kernel sources for the alpha4 build.
Thanks

Terry H

#52 Post by Terry H »

smokey01 wrote:@mistfire
I just saved a session with the save to folder option and it seems to be persistent. The savefile does not work but the folder does.

Posting from Alpha4 with savefolder.
The initial save folder works, but subsequent saves are not. The good thing about a save folder is that it can be manually edited. At present I have manually copied some things to make it a bit more usable.

Terry H

#53 Post by Terry H »

Duplicate post
Last edited by Terry H on Fri 11 May 2018, 20:32, edited 1 time in total.

mistfire

#54 Post by mistfire »

@smokey I think I found the solution to your problem use this boot paramater

psubdir=/tazpupa4

You forgot to add / before foldername

anyway auto append / if foldername only is specified is now fixed on the init script of initrd

@Terry H here is the temporary solution. Login tazpup as root. Delete mount in /bin then rename mount-FULL to mount

@rg66 thanks for your info. File associaton now works.

Tazpup can now sleep manually

I will release another iteration soon.
Last edited by mistfire on Fri 11 May 2018, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

peebee

#55 Post by peebee »

Hi mistfire

Following this initiative with interest especially as Slitaz is an LXDE sytem and as you know I'm a fan of LXDE / PcManFM / Openbox / LxPanel....

One big problem I have is that TazPup messes up my system clock and it's set 1 hour early when I return to booting Puppy.

It's great to be able to load .sfs - but it would be better still if .pets could be installed.... I really miss not having pfind and would like to try other Puppy apps like TAS (Take-A-Shot).

I'm really impressed at how small it is....I know that it is lacking in some Puppy apps like abiword and gnumeric .... but am intrigued as to why it is so much smaller than woof-ce built pups??

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

mistfire

#56 Post by mistfire »

@peebee tazpkg of slitaz can convert pet packages to tazpkg. However if the packages was designed for puppy it might work differently on common user account unless root account is used.

mistfire

#57 Post by mistfire »

@Smokey there is a puppy linux kernel source code repo in archive.org. Just search it. Sometimes I used peebees lxpup kernel source code. Just patch my custom .config file on the code and start compiling right away.

My custom .config file can be found at /etc/modules of X-Slacko Slim

@keef rfkill is now included the upcoming alpha release of Tazpup includes puppy's busybox to fill the missing applets in slitaz.

smokey01

#58 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey I think I found the solution to your problem use this boot paramater

pfix=/tazpupa4

You forgot to add / before foldername
Are you sure it's pfix=/tazpupa4 and not psubdir=/tazpupa4?
mistfire wrote:@Smokey there is a puppy linux kernel source code repo in archive.org. Just search it. Sometimes I used peebees lxpup kernel source code.
Thanks, I will go look. It has to match the current kernel. I don't need it to compile the kernel, I need it to compile my nvidia graphics driver.

Is there an elegant way to close X and return to the prompt? When I try CTRL+ALT+Backspace, it drops me back to the prompt but immediately starts the login procedure and starts X again.

Thanks

mistfire

#59 Post by mistfire »

@smokey oops made a typo error it is psubdir not pfix

If you want to exit X use this command

/etc/init.d/slim stop

smokey01

#60 Post by smokey01 »

mistfire wrote:@smokey oops made a typo error it is psubdir not pfix

If you want to exit X use this command

/etc/init.d/slim stop
Cheers on psubdir.

I also discovered typing exit in place of tux or root when logging in drops to a terminal.