Possible networking 'bug' in Upup Bionic Beaver 18.05?

Please post any bugs you have found
Mike Walsh

Possible networking 'bug' in Upup Bionic Beaver 18.05?

#1 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ peebee/whoever:-

Normally, my Ethernet connection invariably comes up as interface 'eth0' or occasionally 'eth1' (Lucid springs to mind here). But I've discovered a strange difference in BB.

For some reason, my ethernet interface is reporting itself as 'enp3s3'..??? It configures, and connects fine.....but for the very first time, I cannot install WINE correctly. (It won't download/install the 'gecko' and 'mono' packages, needed for HTML rendering (gecko) and .NET framework emulation (mono)). Insists there's no connection to the server 'stream'.

Anybody else discovered this 'oddity'?

Mike. :wink:

perdido

#2 Post by perdido »

Thats not a bug, its a feature :)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/network-inter ... ewolf.html

Some info in that link about inserting a UDEV rule to change the name.

I remember seeing a reference to the network name changes in the murga forum somewhere, with a fix. Don't know where though.
Edit:Mentioned here for radky's Dpup-Stretch 7.5
Alpha-1 changelog: 20/Oct/2017
- Add /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules for conventional network nomenclature
Last edited by perdido on Thu 10 May 2018, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

p310don

#3 Post by p310don »

Thats not a bug, its a feature Smile
Seems like a solution to a problem that nobody had...

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

p310don wrote:Seems like a solution to a problem that nobody had...
Not so. These "cryptic but predictable" interface names are the equivalent of using UUIDs to identify drive partitions. They uniquely identify the device.

If you have a machine with multiple ethernet or wifi ports, there is no guarantee that they will initialize in the same order. So port #1 may be eth0 on one boot and eth1 on the next.

Using the cryptic names solves this problem.

Mike Walsh

#5 Post by Mike Walsh »

perdido wrote:Thats not a bug, its a feature :)

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/network-inter ... ewolf.html

Some info in that link about inserting a UDEV rule to change the name.

I remember seeing a reference to the network name changes in the murga forum somewhere, with a fix. Don't know where though.
Edit:Mentioned here for radky's Dpup-Stretch 7.5
Alpha-1 changelog: 20/Oct/2017
- Add /etc/udev/rules.d/80-net-name-slot.rules for conventional network nomenclature
Mmm.....

Well, thanks for the link, perdido. That's something I was not aware of, I must admit. More systemd/udev-related stuff. Where will it end..?
rcrsn51 wrote:Not so. These "cryptic but predictable" interface names are the equivalent of using UUIDs to identify drive partitions. They uniquely identify the device.

If you have a machine with multiple ethernet or wifi ports, there is no guarantee that they will initialize in the same order. So port #1 may be eth0 on one boot and eth1 on the next.

Using the cryptic names solves this problem.
Thanks for the clarification, Bill. Makes sense, I suppose..!

If that's the case, though, I have to assume that PhilB must have employed the above-mentioned 'fix' for Xenial, as the 'follow-up' to Wily. Because my Xenialpup has the 'traditional' interface nomenclature.....and there's definitely no problems installing WINE there.

I guess further disclosures will come to light; 'Bionic' is, after all, still pretty new.

Mike. :wink: