voice to text english (australian?)

Using applications, configuring, problems
boof

voice to text english (australian?)

#1 Post by boof »

xenialpup32-7.5 what can i use pls. i'm using a journal. will need to be able to use usb webcam mic

disciple

#2 Post by disciple »

The main contenders in terms of speech recognition on linux are pocketsphinx from CMU, and Julius. I'm not sure that there is a particularly user-friendly setup for either of them, but ubuntu packages are available at least for pocketsphinx, and you are running an ubuntu based Puppy.
You may want to check out the list at https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Sp ... on_Engines
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

mikeslr

I may be wrong, but

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi boof,

I hadn't look into voice to text under Linux for a couple of years. The last time I looked the only actually functional way was Dragon Naturally Speaking under Wine. But even that was limited to some versions of Dragon and some versions of Ubuntu plus one other of the Big Distros.

I tried unsuccessfully to get the correct version of Dragon running under the correct version of Wine on the Puppy woofed from binaries of the correct version of Ubuntu.

I'm rather impressed with Wine 3. Maybe I'll try again when I have a chance. At any rate, I followed the link disciple provided and the links therefrom. Most of those links are to programs long out of date and AFAIK abandoned.

One link, however, was to an Android App. Not that it runs under Linux. Rather, it apparently is used as the same work-around I had come up with.

google's voice recognition apps are almost as good as Dragon. [Retro-engineering?]. Basically, what you can do is change the default key-board on your Smartphone/tablet to "gboard" -- look for instructions. I discovered that it there were steps beyond just making the change in Settings. Depending on how powerful the CPU and how much RAM is on the Smartphone/tablet, you can then dictate into several apps from light-weight ListNotes (generates ".txt" files) to full Word-processors. You can then transfer the files to Puppy.

mikesLr

boof

#4 Post by boof »

the amdroid option would do. names of apps req'd.pls

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi boof,

This is where trial & error is superior to advice. Trying to jog an iffy memory of what I did two years ago, I went back onto google-playstore, used the following search terms: "Voice Text" then "Speech Text" then "Voice Wordprocessor" the "Speech Wordprocessor".

The last two didn't generate anything obviously touting that it was a capable of converting your speech into text. My recollection was that WPS Office could; but it didn't. I think the "could" related to on a PC. But I may be mistaken. My recollection is that MS Word worked. But a current search suggests that it is now a subscription service. I didn't check the cost.

The same search revealed that Google-Docs is supposed to work reasonably well. I've never used it. I think (not certain) that to dictate to Google-Docs you have to have an active internet connection which, for me, reduces its usefulness. I don't have a data plan, nor want one. I'm grandfathered in on a no longer offered T-Mobile plan -- Cellphone with Txting and Wifi-- for $100 per year. So, I could use it from home, or where free wifi is available. But not 'on the road'.

I mentioned that ListNote worked. It still advertises that it does. The playstore also offered speechnotes which has a 4.3 star rating. I think it's new.

I recall trying several others which didn't work. But they may have failed because my device was old (not very powerful) with an old version of Android. So I'd suggest "trial and error" and hopefully "success". Remember, android apps you install can also be uninstalled.

Also suggest that you use whatever app you find works only to generate a rough draft. Don't worry about mistakes, spelling, punctuation and such. Just get the text down. Use your Puppy's word-processor to edit the rough draft into the polished version.

I still can't remember what I had to do to make gboard my default keyboard. That too may depend on what device and android version you use.

mikesLr

disciple

#6 Post by disciple »

You might also want to see https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -for-linux
The things there that look most promising to me are KDE connect (using speech recognition on your android phone as an input device for your linux pc), and Chrome VoiceNote (an "app" for the Chrome browser).
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER