Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 22 May 2018, 21:58
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How to install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05? [SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 06:17    Post subject:  

I don't use the Quantum Firefox, but I did a quick test and am beginning to think that the Mozilla devs have changed something between 59 and 60 which has messed things up for sound in Puppy.

I tried the official Mozilla build and also the Ubuntu Trusty build and in both cases there was no audio in YouTube in TahrPup 6.0.5 even with the usual fixes applied.
I also tested the official build in Stretch Pup and the result was the same.
There are some warnings in terminal which I do not recall seeing before.
Default sandbox level is now 4 but reducing it to 0 does not fix it so it looks like something else is preventing sound from working now.

Maybe someone else has figured this out. Otherwise I will try to investigate when I get a bit more time. The ESR version 52.8.0 (released at the same time as 60.0) is working OK for me. I use the Debian builds of this in Stretch and Wheezy, but I presume the demanding websites would be happy with this version and the official Mozilla build of it should be fine in Tahr Pup with libgtk-3 and apulse I believe.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/organizations/all/#legacy

Note that the Ubuntu and Debian builds install the main directory in /usr/lib rather than /opt
You may also find that they are compiled without the auto-updater because you are expected to update via the package management system when they release newer builds.
I suggest making sure that all older packages have been uninstalled/removed.
Often it is good to (backup bookmarks and) delete the profile and start afresh as well when upgrading.

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 07:42    Post subject:  

I am currently in Stretch-Live (32bit) running Quantum 60.0 as a root user.

This is the direct-from-Mozilla version gradually updated.

I am starting it via "apulse /opt/firefox/firefox"

My about:config > security.sandbox is posted below. Note the new line that has appeared.

I have Youtube audio working OK.
snappie.png
 Description   
 Filesize   76.73 KB
 Viewed   260 Time(s)

snappie.png

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 09:19    Post subject:  

Interesting, thanks for that.
When my sound wasn't working I did look in about:config and I did notice that new line there but the string value was just blank at the time.

Inspired by the fact that you have it working I took another look and noticed that the unpacked Mozilla tarball files (in the main firefox directory) are not owned by root:root
I have never known this with Mozilla firefox tarballs before.
So I ran chown -R root:root firefox on the directory
In TahrPup 6.0.5 I installed this in /usr/lib
The apulse libs are inside /usr/lib/firefox
My script in /usr/bin named firefox is:-
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/firefox:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox "$@"

YouTube audio now works for me with sandbox level at 0
Or with sandbox level at 2 and the other settings as /dev/snd/ and 54
The long string on the new line is then auto-generated. Mine is different from yours
firefox60sandbox.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.02 KB
 Viewed   228 Time(s)

firefox60sandbox.jpg

nubc

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 11:13    Post subject:  

I figured I might get lucky if I copied rcrsn51's config data, so I did that. But on second thought I left the long string blank in the hope that my computer would generate its own string value. Upon rebooting my computer did generate its own string for tempDirSuffix (e63d0993-2ae5-4c9a-9649-8efce1317bab). But the value for syscall_whitelist had reverted back to "/dev/snd/" from "54". Result was negative. No sound, No video, No change.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 11:24    Post subject:  

OscarTalks wrote:
I don't use the Quantum Firefox, but I did a quick test and am beginning to think that the Mozilla devs have changed something between 59 and 60 which has messed things up for sound in Puppy.

Hi, Oscar.

I confess, I don't see how.

For a wee while now (confirmed Chrome man that I am!), I've been using Fred's 'portable' FF-Quantum in all my Pups. I've done my usual 'trick', of running a single instance from a remote data partition, sym-linked into all Pups (with the exception of Racy & Lucid, whose components are just too old).

(It's unusual for me; I 'gave up' on FF as a bad job years ago, because of the constant crashes, etc. I gave this new version a look a while ago, and was very impressed with what they've done to it.....but didn't 'install' it across the kennels until Fred brought his portable version out.)

I upgraded to version 60.0 around a week ago? and have noticed no changes at all. Audio works fine for me; YouTube, NetFlix, RadioTunes.....all behaving themselves sweetly.

(Not being 'funny', but I don't think I've seen any other 'Puppian' have so many browser problems as nubc...)

Mike. Wink

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Tue 15 May 2018, 11:52    Post subject:  

I now also have the Ubuntu Trusty build of Firefox 60.0 working in TahrPup 6.0.5 as well.
Personally I would prefer this over the official Mozilla build because it will have been compiled specifically against Ubuntu Trusty libraries.
(Downloaded the .deb from packages.ubuntu.com)

The Debian ESR builds do not require apulse, but it seems the Ubuntu Quantum builds do.
I was unsure about this at first.

I have defined the sandbox settings of 2, /dev/snd/ and 54 in the syspref.js config file
They have this in /etc/firefox and symlinked into /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences
I just moved it there but it is effectively the same thing.
I placed the 3 apulse 0.1.11 libraries inside the firefox directory and launch with a script as above.
This enables launching from terminal with just the command firefox
The libgtk-3 package from PPM is required as always.
The long string is auto-generated and sound is working.
Standard simple tweaks for the menu entry and it is all good to go.

Hi Mike,
It may be just me being a bit distracted and not looking carefully enough (I am really supposed to be working on something else), but with the official build and starting from scratch (rather than via auto-updates) I think that the ownership may be an issue when a sandbox is involved. I normally check and make sure everything is root:root, but with firefox tarballs I was not expecting it to need this.
Anyway, all is working for me in my tests here now, Mozilla or Canonical builds.
ff60ubuntu.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   41.71 KB
 Viewed   186 Time(s)

ff60ubuntu.jpg

bigpup

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 04:57    Post subject:  

Let me show you this from a working version of Firefox 60.0.
YouTube and sound works.
capture9690.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture9690.png 
Filesize  27.27 KB 
Downloaded  26 Time(s) 

nubc

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 21:23    Post subject:  

Each reboot restores the sandbox settings. I disabled the group of settings in /opt/firefox/browser/default/preferences/firefox.js but there exists another location for preferences in the firefox directory called "local_settings.js" where I found the single setting
Code:
pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");

I would say the setting restoration most deserving an investigation is the one where a value of "54" gets reverted back to "/dev/snd", by just rebooting.
Code:
security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist;/dev/snd/

Last edited by nubc on Wed 16 May 2018, 21:56; edited 1 time in total
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 21:43    Post subject:  

modified value to "54", before reboot
capture5901.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture5901.png 
Filesize  57.85 KB 
Downloaded  19 Time(s) 

Last edited by nubc on Wed 16 May 2018, 21:51; edited 1 time in total
nubc

PostPosted: Wed 16 May 2018, 21:47    Post subject:  

restored value to "/dev/snd/", after reboot
capture4424.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  capture4424.png 
Filesize  58.05 KB 
Downloaded  20 Time(s) 
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 00:37    Post subject:  

Quote:
I would say the setting restoration most deserving an investigation is the one where a value of "54" gets reverted back to "/dev/snd", by just rebooting.
Code:
security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist;/dev/snd/

I think you are using this 54 in a place that it no longer applies.
The reboot changes that setting to what is now used by Firefox 60.0
I would stop trying to change it to 54.

Changes that have been made to Firefox with release of version 60.0
https://www.morbo.org/

security.sandbox.content.level set at 2 could be your issue.

My Firefox 60.0 security.sandbox.content.level is set at 4.
I am still searching for what 4 setting does.
All I can find is settings 0, 1, 2, 3 and what they do.
Documentation is not updated with info on setting 4.

OscarTalks

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 03:58    Post subject:  

The reverting back from 54 to /dev/snd/ after reboot might be caused by a user.js file which has previously been inserted in the profile by you (with this setting defined that way). Find and delete any such user.js file.

My tests were all done on fresh boots with no save-file. TahrPup does not have its own version of Firefox in the .iso. If you remove everything including all previous main firefox directories from /opt and /usr/lib and also completely delete the profile in /root/.mozilla you should effectively be starting completely afresh again.

Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 05:03    Post subject:  

Oh, for crying out loud. I suggest the following:-

To start with, make a backup of your bookmarks. Click on the Bookmarks icon; Bookmarks->Show all Bookmarks->Import and Backup->Export bookmarks to HTML. Save to a safe location.

Don't bother uninstalling existing Firefox versions. Go here, and download/install fredx181's self-contained Quantum-portable (with audio already built-in, and set up).

It's a .tar.gz file (a tarball); extract it to /opt.

Note that in this case, the directory is named 'firefox32' (or 'firefox64'), as opposed to the usual 'firefox'.

Having done that, download & install this:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w5525xfpu0j33sw/FF_Quantum-MenuEntry.pet

This will put an entry into the Menu to start it. When you start Fred's 'portable' for the first time, it creates a new profile inside the /opt/firefox32 directory. This is why I said not to bother deleting existing Firefox stuff, since this is all self-contained.

Once it's started, go into 'Preferences', and set it up like bigpup's done in his previous post. Download the update, but ask you when to install it.

Re-install your bookmarks. As above; Bookmarks icon, then Bookmarks->Show all bookmarks->Import & Backup. Then, 'Import bookmarks from HTML'.

Click on 'Other Bookmarks'. Then, drag'n'drop stuff across to 'Bookmarks Toolbar' in the order you want them.

Before you ask, no; this 'portable' FF will not 'pick up' your existing bookmarks.....because it doesn't read from /root/.mozilla and /root/.cache/mozilla. This has to be done manually.....but it only has to be done ONCE. Because once you've done this, you can run this in any other Pup.....by copying the 'firefox32' directory across to /opt of your Puppy of choice, and installing the MenuEntry.pet.

(Of course, if you have 'Sync' enabled, just sign-in and it's all done for you...)

I'm posting this from peebee's BionicPup.....but it's the same install that all my other Pups are using, because the 'firefox32' directory is sym-linked from a remote data partition into every single Pup. Including Tahrpup.....where it runs just fine.

If this don't work for ya, you either have some very odd hardware.....or you can't (or choose not to) follow simple instructions. And, with the exception of doing the bookmarks manually, this is as foolproof as it comes, once set up.

Mike. Wink

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 17 May 2018, 05:06; edited 1 time in total
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 05:05    Post subject:  

Changing content.level from 2 to 4 did not recover sound.
nubc

PostPosted: Thu 17 May 2018, 07:43    Post subject:  

No luck. Wow, that's incredibly frustrating and I am exhausted. Allow me to ask several stupid questions. I have been making these apulse settings in triplicate, in /opt/firefox, in usr/lib/firefox, and about:config -> sandbox. Can I reduce this redundacy to one or two locations. Oscar, when you give instructions for creating the settings file in opt/firefox, you say to create a series of directories that lead to firefox.js, as in /opt/firefox/browser/default/preferences/firefox.js. It strikes me as odd that you don't mention that an almost identical path already exists in /opt/firefox/browser which is .../defaults/preferences containing local-settings.js. Do you really mean to create this second settings pathway differing by one letter from an existing one? If so, there is a methodological inconsistency here, because you do use an existing pathway in usr/lib/firefox to locate the apulse config file. Oscar, you allude to 3 apulse libraries. From where are these libraries extracted and what are their names. (Thanks in advance for this extra info.)
Page 2 of 3 [42 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3 Next
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: