How to install FF 60.0 on tahrpup 6.05? [SOLVED]

Using applications, configuring, problems
OscarTalks

#21 Post by OscarTalks »

I now also have the Ubuntu Trusty build of Firefox 60.0 working in TahrPup 6.0.5 as well.
Personally I would prefer this over the official Mozilla build because it will have been compiled specifically against Ubuntu Trusty libraries.
(Downloaded the .deb from packages.ubuntu.com)

The Debian ESR builds do not require apulse, but it seems the Ubuntu Quantum builds do.
I was unsure about this at first.

I have defined the sandbox settings of 2, /dev/snd/ and 54 in the syspref.js config file
They have this in /etc/firefox and symlinked into /usr/lib/firefox/browser/defaults/preferences
I just moved it there but it is effectively the same thing.
I placed the 3 apulse 0.1.11 libraries inside the firefox directory and launch with a script as above.
This enables launching from terminal with just the command firefox
The libgtk-3 package from PPM is required as always.
The long string is auto-generated and sound is working.
Standard simple tweaks for the menu entry and it is all good to go.

Hi Mike,
It may be just me being a bit distracted and not looking carefully enough (I am really supposed to be working on something else), but with the official build and starting from scratch (rather than via auto-updates) I think that the ownership may be an issue when a sandbox is involved. I normally check and make sure everything is root:root, but with firefox tarballs I was not expecting it to need this.
Anyway, all is working for me in my tests here now, Mozilla or Canonical builds.
Attachments
ff60ubuntu.jpg
(41.71 KiB) Downloaded 272 times
Oscar in England

bigpup

#22 Post by bigpup »

Let me show you this from a working version of Firefox 60.0.
YouTube and sound works.
Attachments
capture9690.png
(27.27 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

nubc

#23 Post by nubc »

Each reboot restores the sandbox settings. I disabled the group of settings in /opt/firefox/browser/default/preferences/firefox.js but there exists another location for preferences in the firefox directory called "local_settings.js" where I found the single setting

Code: Select all

pref("security.sandbox.content.write_path_whitelist", "/dev/snd/");
I would say the setting restoration most deserving an investigation is the one where a value of "54" gets reverted back to "/dev/snd", by just rebooting.

Code: Select all

security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist;/dev/snd/
Last edited by nubc on Thu 17 May 2018, 01:56, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#24 Post by nubc »

modified value to "54", before reboot
Attachments
capture5901.png
(57.85 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Last edited by nubc on Thu 17 May 2018, 01:51, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#25 Post by nubc »

restored value to "/dev/snd/", after reboot
Attachments
capture4424.png
(58.05 KiB) Downloaded 108 times

bigpup

#26 Post by bigpup »

I would say the setting restoration most deserving an investigation is the one where a value of "54" gets reverted back to "/dev/snd", by just rebooting.
Code:
security.sandbox.content.syscall_whitelist;/dev/snd/
I think you are using this 54 in a place that it no longer applies.
The reboot changes that setting to what is now used by Firefox 60.0
I would stop trying to change it to 54.

Changes that have been made to Firefox with release of version 60.0
https://www.morbo.org/

security.sandbox.content.level set at 2 could be your issue.

My Firefox 60.0 security.sandbox.content.level is set at 4.
I am still searching for what 4 setting does.
All I can find is settings 0, 1, 2, 3 and what they do.
Documentation is not updated with info on setting 4.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

OscarTalks

#27 Post by OscarTalks »

The reverting back from 54 to /dev/snd/ after reboot might be caused by a user.js file which has previously been inserted in the profile by you (with this setting defined that way). Find and delete any such user.js file.

My tests were all done on fresh boots with no save-file. TahrPup does not have its own version of Firefox in the .iso. If you remove everything including all previous main firefox directories from /opt and /usr/lib and also completely delete the profile in /root/.mozilla you should effectively be starting completely afresh again.
Oscar in England

Mike Walsh

#28 Post by Mike Walsh »

Oh, for crying out loud. I suggest the following:-

To start with, make a backup of your bookmarks. Click on the Bookmarks icon; Bookmarks->Show all Bookmarks->Import and Backup->Export bookmarks to HTML. Save to a safe location.

Don't bother uninstalling existing Firefox versions. Go here, and download/install fredx181's self-contained Quantum-portable (with audio already built-in, and set up).

It's a .tar.gz file (a tarball); extract it to /opt.

Note that in this case, the directory is named 'firefox32' (or 'firefox64'), as opposed to the usual 'firefox'.

Having done that, download & install this:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/w5525xfpu ... uEntry.pet

This will put an entry into the Menu to start it. When you start Fred's 'portable' for the first time, it creates a new profile inside the /opt/firefox32 directory. This is why I said not to bother deleting existing Firefox stuff, since this is all self-contained.

Once it's started, go into 'Preferences', and set it up like bigpup's done in his previous post. Download the update, but ask you when to install it.

Re-install your bookmarks. As above; Bookmarks icon, then Bookmarks->Show all bookmarks->Import & Backup. Then, 'Import bookmarks from HTML'.

Click on 'Other Bookmarks'. Then, drag'n'drop stuff across to 'Bookmarks Toolbar' in the order you want them.

Before you ask, no; this 'portable' FF will not 'pick up' your existing bookmarks.....because it doesn't read from /root/.mozilla and /root/.cache/mozilla. This has to be done manually.....but it only has to be done ONCE. Because once you've done this, you can run this in any other Pup.....by copying the 'firefox32' directory across to /opt of your Puppy of choice, and installing the MenuEntry.pet.

(Of course, if you have 'Sync' enabled, just sign-in and it's all done for you...)

I'm posting this from peebee's BionicPup.....but it's the same install that all my other Pups are using, because the 'firefox32' directory is sym-linked from a remote data partition into every single Pup. Including Tahrpup.....where it runs just fine.

If this don't work for ya, you either have some very odd hardware.....or you can't (or choose not to) follow simple instructions. And, with the exception of doing the bookmarks manually, this is as foolproof as it comes, once set up.

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Thu 17 May 2018, 09:06, edited 1 time in total.

nubc

#29 Post by nubc »

Changing content.level from 2 to 4 did not recover sound.

nubc

#30 Post by nubc »

No luck. Wow, that's incredibly frustrating and I am exhausted. Allow me to ask several stupid questions. I have been making these apulse settings in triplicate, in /opt/firefox, in usr/lib/firefox, and about:config -> sandbox. Can I reduce this redundacy to one or two locations. Oscar, when you give instructions for creating the settings file in opt/firefox, you say to create a series of directories that lead to firefox.js, as in /opt/firefox/browser/default/preferences/firefox.js. It strikes me as odd that you don't mention that an almost identical path already exists in /opt/firefox/browser which is .../defaults/preferences containing local-settings.js. Do you really mean to create this second settings pathway differing by one letter from an existing one? If so, there is a methodological inconsistency here, because you do use an existing pathway in usr/lib/firefox to locate the apulse config file. Oscar, you allude to 3 apulse libraries. From where are these libraries extracted and what are their names. (Thanks in advance for this extra info.)

OscarTalks

#31 Post by OscarTalks »

Firefox 60.0.1 Mozilla official build is released.
Tested and working in fresh TahrPup 6.0.5
Used PPM to add libgtk-3
Sandbox level is unchanged at the default level of 4
No other settings modified, no "54", no "/dev/snd/" at all.
Only the long string which it modifies by itself.

I ran chown -R root:root on the extracted firefox tarball to correct the ownership.
Added the 3 apulse libraries inside the main directory
Launched with a script as above.
Sound is working in YouTube.

@nubc
You need to remove all previous firefox main directories and just have the latest one in either /opt or /usr/lib
With the Mozilla build you can take your pick of those two.
Some of those *.js config files may have come from previous Ubuntu or other packages.
The Mozilla builds don't have a default or defaults directory under the browser directory.
Actually, I think defaults is the correct name if you are going to create a directory.
There is a defaults directory inside the main firefox directory but it does not contain the file you mentioned.
Anyway, in my latest test, I added no directories or *.js files
I think the changes they have made now make it more easy to get it working.

For the 3 apulse libraries you can extract the 0.1.11 .pet package with UExtract.
Take them out of the /usr/lib directory of the extracted package and put them in the firefox main directory along with the other libraries in there which the firefox executable can find.

The apulse libraries have the same names as pulse libraries because they substitute for pulse audio. It is important to ensure that firefox is finding the apulse libraries before any genuine pulse libraries that may be in the system. My script does this by giving priority to /usr/lib/firefox over the other library paths.
Attachments
firefox601.jpg
No settings modifications applied ?
(36.52 KiB) Downloaded 397 times
Oscar in England

fredx181

#32 Post by fredx181 »

Thanks OscarTalks, indeed working sound now with version 60.0.1, no need to change anything in about:config from what I tested.

Fred

Mike Walsh

#33 Post by Mike Walsh »

My copy of Fred's 'portable' is simply updated from the original downloaded install; everything working as you would expect:-

The above is 'as-is', untouched since the 'install'. Currently sitting @ 60.0.1. Radiotunes, NetFlix & YouTube all running nicely.

fredx181

#34 Post by fredx181 »

Mike Walsh wrote:The above is 'as-is', untouched since the 'install'. Currently sitting @ 60.0.1. Radiotunes, NetFlix & YouTube all running nicely.
Yes, that works OK (default settings modified), but I think it's good that people know that if you change nothing in about:config, the sound works OK with the 60.0.1 version (and running with apulse).
EDIT: To clarify more: The earlier "portable" (e.g. 59.0.2) had pre-configured settings for the sound to work, now the 60.0.1 doesn't have it included anymore (not required), only includes the apulse script and libs as extra's.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 010#978010

Fred

Mike Walsh

#35 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mornin', Fred.

Right. So, if I wanted to (though I'm a proponent of the 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' school of thought!), I could modify as in the above example of Oscar's.....and it should still work? Or would any other modifications be needed?

It's hard, sometimes, getting your head round Mozilla's 'roadmap'..... I'll do some testing, mate.

Last edited by Mike Walsh on Fri 18 May 2018, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#36 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Fred:-

O-kay. Just to confirm (having experimented), making the above modifications to my copy of 60.0.1, followed by a restart, results in no change whatsoever.

In other words, everything (Radiotunes, NetFlix, YouTube) continues to work as expected.

Thanks for the experimenting, Oscar. Cheers. It rather looks like Firefox, in the wake of all the public backlash over the Pulseaudio issue, has finally settled down again to its pre-Pulse 'click, install, and use' status.

Which, for the average user, has got to be a good thing.

nubc

#37 Post by nubc »

OscarTalks wrote: @nubc
You need to remove all previous firefox main directories and just have the latest one in either /opt or /usr/lib
With the Mozilla build you can take your pick of those two.
Some of those *.js config files may have come from previous Ubuntu or other packages.
The Mozilla builds don't have a default or defaults directory under the browser directory.
Actually, I think defaults is the correct name if you are going to create a directory.
There is a defaults directory inside the main firefox directory but it does not contain the file you mentioned.
Anyway, in my latest test, I added no directories or *.js files
I think the changes they have made now make it more easy to get it working.

For the 3 apulse libraries you can extract the 0.1.11 .pet package with UExtract.
Take them out of the /usr/lib directory of the extracted package and put them in the firefox main directory along with the other libraries in there which the firefox executable can find.

The apulse libraries have the same names as pulse libraries because they substitute for pulse audio. It is important to ensure that firefox is finding the apulse libraries before any genuine pulse libraries that may be in the system. My script does this by giving priority to /usr/lib/firefox over the other library paths.
Success!!! I GOTS SOUND AND VIDEO! The 3 apulse libraries were the key.
Last edited by nubc on Sun 20 May 2018, 02:04, edited 1 time in total.

darry19662018

#38 Post by darry19662018 »

@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)

fredx181

#39 Post by fredx181 »

darry19662018 wrote:@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)
Yeah, can't concentrate on anything you're saying Mike..

No, just kidding :) Thanks for your reports !

Fred

Mike Walsh

#40 Post by Mike Walsh »

fredx181 wrote:
darry19662018 wrote:@Mike Walsh love your newish avatar though it makes me dizzy looking at it:)
Yeah, can't concentrate on anything you're saying Mike..

No, just kidding :) Thanks for your reports !

Fred
How's this one, guys'n'gals? Any better? :lol:

(Or should I go back to the running doggie again.....?) *shrug*

Ah, me; decisions, decisions....