Digikam 5.9 latest build

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
labbe5

Digikam 5.9 latest build

#1 Post by labbe5 »

32-bit : https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam ... 6.appimage

64-bit : https://download.kde.org/stable/digikam ... 4.appimage

Puppy and Dog users can enjoy Digikam with AppImage. Size: 380M.
For low-specs machines, Digikam is not a good fit. You need a good deal of process power to enjoy such an app.

What's new :
now permits to run the bundle under Firejail sandboxing technology for a better security level
...including the new media server dedicated to sharing collection contents on local networks with compatible DLNA devices or applications, such as tablets, cellulars, TV, etc.
There are plenty of DLNA applications available in digital stores like iTunes or GooglePlay. As the DLNA and UPNP protocols are standardized, we don’t need to develop dedicated applications for each client device that wants to access the digiKam/Showfoto contents.

mikeslr

Appears to work under Stretchdog64

#2 Post by mikeslr »

Hi labbe5,

Thanks for posting about digikam 5.9. It appears to be functional under Strectchdog64 and Xenialpup64.

mikesLr

retry3

#3 Post by retry3 »

This looks like something I would like to have, so I looked on the appinage site and am confused as usual.

Is this a .pet?

Would it work in tahrpup 6.0.5? (I don't know enough about downloading and installing to find out for myself)

Any advice as to where to look next?

Thanks for any help.

retry3

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

It's an appimage which is a single file to downlod. You might even say it's an executable archive. Just make the permissions executable and click on it to run it.

retry3

#5 Post by retry3 »

smokey01 wrote:It's an appimage which is a single file to downlod. You might even say it's an executable archive. Just make the permissions executable and click on it to run it.
Hey, thanks smokey01!

That helps a lot.

Regards,
retry3

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ labbe5:-

Thanks for this. The 32-bit AppImage runs in Upup Bionic 18.05, with the addition of libopenal from the Bionic repos.

It also runs nicely in Slacko 570, using the above libopenal from Bionic, plus the addition of libsndio & libbsd from Xenial.

I've uploaded a .pet package for the deps that 570 needs to my Google Drive:-

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PFOhmT ... sp=sharing

In theory, an AppImage should be the same as a statically-compiled package with all dependencies included.....but this is KDE-based, so, er.....'nuff said..!

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

Thanks, Mike, for the info & pet.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

You're very welcome, Mike.

Only thing is, you can't track the extra libs down using ldd.....because it doesn't see an AppImage as an executable binary. So you have to do it the old-fashioned way, tracking 'em down one at a time, as you try starting it via the terminal.

First time I've ever needed to go 'lib-chasing' to get an AppImage to run... :shock:

Experimentation is showing it'll run under Slacko 5.6 & Racy 5.5, too. Which being the case, it should run under Precise 571 w/out any hassle.....and probably ETP's Chromebook Pup, too (based on 571, with Openbox). And of course, Sailor's Slacko 571, too!

I rather suspect the version of the glibc is irrelevant; it probably has that tucked away in there, as well. Just those 3 extra libs required to get things happening.

Next on the list will then be Raring.....and Tahr & Xenial should run w/out issue. We'll see. I'm running all of these from a single, sym-linked AppImage in my remote data partition (given the size of the darned thing; *ouch*!)

I don't normally go a lot on KDE-based stuff (too fussy by far for my liking).....but I do like this. Way better than Shotwell, anyroad. Although I confess, I cannot for the life of me figure out why a photo organiser needs a sound library.....from OpenBSD, of all things. (*huh??*)

(*scratches head*)

But; it works. So.....enjoy..!

EDIT:- As I fully expected, it does run in Precise 571. And 'Chromepup'. (Not Lucid). And Upup Raring.....though, very strangely, not Tahrpup 6.0.6 (uefi). (*Comes back with a segfault; ???*)

Haven't tried Xenial yet, or Sailor's Slacko 571; that's a task for tomorrow.....though I don't anticipate any problems, since most of the 'extra' libs came from Xenial's repos anyway, and Slacko 570 fired DigiKam straight up after adding the extra libs. (And when all's said & done, 571 is contentedly running a copy of 570's save-file anyway....)

Mike. :wink: