How to save settings in flash drive Tahrpup?

Booting, installing, newbie
TheScorpion

How to save settings in flash drive Tahrpup?

#1 Post by TheScorpion »

I'm a total Linux novice - just loaded a flash drive with Tahrpuppy so as to USB live boot on an older laptop XP system.
I'd like to save my Tahrpup settings. Every time I boot, the wireless internet settings have to be re-entered before I can connect to the internet again. I suspect there's a way of saving these settings - a 'save' file?
So, where/how do I create a 'save' file? Does such a file automatically save any settings made, or would I have to open such file and manually enter setting codes of some sort?
Thanks for any advice.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

When you shut down (Menu -> Shut down -> Power off), Puppy should ask if you want to create a Save file. Have you tried that?

There may be ways to create a Save file without shutting down, I don't know because I don't use a Save file.

TheScorpion

#3 Post by TheScorpion »

Flash, thanks for the reply. Yes, saw that but it said something about creating a save file in a NTFS windows XP partition. I want to keep the USB Tahrpup things completely separate from the XP op sys so was unsure about that. So would it create a 'save' file on the HD and not the USB Flash drive?

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

It should give option to put the save on other devices.
The USB drive should be an option.

The Windows ntfs partition may just be the first one on the list of drives, but you can select something else from the listed drive partitions.
USB drive should be one of the others listed.

If you are not seeing this list of possible drive partitions and the USB drive is not listed.

How did you do the USB flash drive install.
Specific details?????????

Some USB installers do not know how to setup the boot info files for how Puppy works.
They stay setup for booting from a CD.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 19 May 2018, 05:20, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#5 Post by s243a »

TheScorpion wrote:Flash, thanks for the reply. Yes, saw that but it said something about creating a save file in a NTFS windows XP partition. I want to keep the USB Tahrpup things completely separate from the XP op sys so was unsure about that. So would it create a 'save' file on the HD and not the USB Flash drive?
If your able to save to the hard drive then things might be faster. However, if you save to the USB it might give you the advantage of portability. Your choice, I think.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

I don't use a Save file but I think you can put one on the same flash drive you're booting from.

Or maybe a frugal install would be a better choice. I've never done one but I think you can put it on a flash drive.

TheScorpion

#7 Post by TheScorpion »

I had another shot at it and found the option to save to USB. Did the save and gave the file a name. Rebooted the usb and Tahrpup just kept freezing at the 'copyrite' message before loading into the desktop. Powered down and opened up the usb drive on XP and deleted the saved file on the USB. Was able to boot into Tahrpup again after that. I think I won't bother with a save file for settings. Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Appreciated.

s243a

#8 Post by s243a »

TheScorpion wrote:I had another shot at it and found the option to save to USB. Did the save and gave the file a name. Rebooted the usb and Tahrpup just kept freezing at the 'copyrite' message before loading into the desktop. Powered down and opened up the usb drive on XP and deleted the saved file on the USB. Was able to boot into Tahrpup again after that. I think I won't bother with a save file for settings. Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Appreciated.
Maybe it was corrupted.

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, TheScorpion. And 'Welcome' to the kennels!

Can I ask a question here? When you created your Tahrpup install on your USB drive, how did you format the flash drive? Did you format to ext2 or 3.....or did you just use the flash drive as is (in other words, formatted to FAT32 as it came from the factory)?

If Puppy is installed to a flash drive formatted to FAT32, you have to use the save-file option. This is because the save-file will be created with a complete Linux file-system inside of it....which Puppy needs to work correctly. Tahrpup does offer the save-folder option, but in order to use this you do have to set-up the flash drive with a Linux file-system before performing the install.

I used Tahrpup for quite a while on a flash drive with the save-folder option, because I'd formatted to ext3 before doing a frugal install. Flash is quite right; you can do a frugal install to a flash drive; indeed, it's the recommended way of doing so.

The difference between a save-file and a save-folder is that the save-file is 'fixed' in size; when it's getting full, it needs to be manually enlarged, using the resize tool provided in every Puppy. Whereas the save-folder will expand/contract in size with the contents, up to the maximum amount of space in the partition it's installed to.

As bigpup says, the option to create the 'save' on the USB drive will be there somewhere. I would, however, recommend formatting the drive to ext3 before re-installing again (which, as you've doubtless discovered, doesn't take long at all).

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. We like to help newcomers get up-and-running with Puppy!

Mike. :wink:

TheScorpion

#10 Post by TheScorpion »

Hi Mike,
I formatted the flash drive to FAT32 (not sure what ext2, ext3 is) before loading Tahrpup64 v6.0.6 on to it.
The Win XP OS is on a small (10") Emachines that I use when travelling. I'll be loading Tahrpup on to it live from USB whenever I want to do banking or use it for transaction purposes. In retrospect I suppose security-wise the less that is saved is better. Seems a bit 'involved' making a save (especially after a lifetime of Windows!) so I'm not too concerned about not using the save function.
Is Tahrpup out of the box as secure as it can be, or are there any advisable tweaks that can/should be made to it or its firewall to further security?

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

You are new to Puppy and I can tell you do not totally understand how Puppy works.
Did the save and gave the file a name. Rebooted the usb and Tahrpup just kept freezing at the 'copyrite' message before loading into the desktop
That statement talks about something I have never seen.
What copyrite message????????????????????????

Then you say it loaded into the desktop.
So, it booted to a working Tahrpup desktop???????????

Using a USB flash drive.
The speed of the drive.
Speed of the USB port it is plugged into.
Speed of the computers processor.
Memory speed.
Etc....
Very much controls how fast it boots.
What may seem like a freeze is just time it is taking for stuff to load from the USB drive.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TheScorpion

#12 Post by TheScorpion »

Hi Bigpup. You're right, I don't know much about Linux OS's! :?
The freezing came after I attempted to save settings. When I then re-booted from USB to see if settings had been saved it didn't go through the usual scrolling list of tasks as it loads, but instead went straight to a black screen with the copyright line of text across the top and then froze. Can't remember the exact content of text but there was a person's name and date after 'copyright' and I assumed this was the bloke who wrote either the Tahrpup64 program or the code for the 'File saving' program. I can't see it anywhere in a normal boot up.
As mentioned in previous post, after that I had to power down to get out. I deleted the save file from my usb using Win XP and then after that Tahrpup booted normally (first scrolling through lists of tasks completed) and then loading the Tahrpup desktop.
The freezing lasted at very least 5 or 6 min before I aborted. Normal booting to desktop before and since takes less than 2 min.

bigpup

#13 Post by bigpup »

Answer this question.

How did you do the USB flash drive install.
Specific details?????????

Some USB installers do not know how to setup the boot info files for how Puppy works.
They stay setup for booting from a CD.
This keeps the save from being found on the USB.

There is a way to correct this, but need to know what you used to do the USB install.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

TheScorpion

#14 Post by TheScorpion »

BigPup, thanks for the reply. After finding I needed a save file on Tahrpup to maintain a separate program's data I managed to get the save file up and running ok after having a second shot at it. Either there was a temporary glitch on my initial attempt or I must have made an incorrect entry at some stage.
Thanks.