TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#161 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 on my latest upload of tazpup /etc/DISTRO SPECS file is now included on the main sfs

zagreb999

lz4 compression , quick remaster

#162 Post by zagreb999 »

regards

lz4 compression , quick remaster
as in debiandog and pclinuxos?!!!
-------------------------------

darry19662018

#163 Post by darry19662018 »

Hi Mistfire,

Did an install on a flashdrive and the savefile done on a ext 3 partition loaded correctly on reboot.

s243a

#164 Post by s243a »

I've been lurking in this thread for a while. When I first switched from windows XP I was looking for small sized linux distribution that was about mid sized amoungst the small/light weight linux distribution. I acually burned a copy of stlatz before puppy, but as it happened the version of stlatz I burned didn't work (probably a bad burn) so I ended up using puppy instead of stlatz. I'm glad it worked out this way but it is exciting to see a version of puppy that is as small as the older versions of puppy and it will give me some exposure to stlatz which was something that I wanted to try.

This isn't to say that smaller is always better but for some applications smaller is better. Anyway, don't get hung up on wiak's suggestions. While they have merrit I see the advantages of the flip side of a stlatz based puppy varient that is relatively stable. While user feedback is important, so is what interests the developer.

Anyway, since this pupplet seems to have made good progress to this point. I thought I'd try burning a CD. I can confirm that it has booted sucesfully for me. I didn't know what to do on the log in screen. I left the user tux and hit enter without typing in a password. I didn't see any tools to configure the touchpad so I plugged in a mouse. I tride the stlatz internet browser and I'm very impressed with it's speed. It's the fastest browser that I've tried and it looks much better than Dillo.

I'll report back when I try more stuff. It seems a bit foriegn to me since it is a mix of puppy and stlatz, so I don't know which tools to use and what compatability issues their might be. I guess all I can do is play around a bit and see what happens.

peebee

#165 Post by peebee »

tazbuild-0.7
slitaz-rolling-core.iso
upupbb-18.05+2.iso

Still get kernel panic after "Performing 'switch root' to layered filesystem"....

n.b. upupbb has kernel in zdrv and firmware in fdrv....would this cause problems?

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 19 May 2018, 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

s243a

#166 Post by s243a »

Where do the converted packages get saved? I tried converting Pupsysinfo-2.8.pet but I have no idea if it worked or not because I don't know where the converted package is saved.

Edit I found it. It was on /home/tux

Now on another note, after using the package conversion tool my taskbar disapeared!

Edit2 Logged out, tried logging in as root. Desktop is back :)

Edit3 PupSys-Info works for me.

Edit 4 I notice that in root the puppy "install" icon isn't on the desktop.

Edit 5 As root user the stlatz installer gives me the error "Message Corrupt"

Edit 6 I installed synergy from "setup"->"package manager". I don't see the results in the menu yet. Maybe I need to log in again?
Last edited by s243a on Sat 19 May 2018, 08:56, edited 6 times in total.

rg66

#167 Post by rg66 »

peebee wrote:Still get kernel panic after "Performing 'switch root' to layered filesystem"....

n.b. upupbb has kernel in zdrv and firmware in fdrv....would this cause problems?
I removed kernel from taz sfs and tried slacko-6.9.9.9 kernel, still panic at switch root.
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

wiak

#168 Post by wiak »

s243a wrote:Anyway, don't get hung up on wiak's suggestions. While they have merrit I see the advantages of the flip side of a stlatz based puppy varient that is relatively stable. While user feedback is important, so is what interests the developer.
My goodness! I don't even understand what that comment is supposed to mean or why my comments have been singled out. mistfire is free of course to develop whatever he or she wishes!

I've been at times advocating both tiny core linux and slitaz for years and even had some elements of slitaz incorporated at times into Dog developments, but my thoughts and ideas are no more than that ever.

wiak

s243a

#169 Post by s243a »

wiak wrote:
s243a wrote:Anyway, don't get hung up on wiak's suggestions. While they have merrit I see the advantages of the flip side of a stlatz based puppy varient that is relatively stable. While user feedback is important, so is what interests the developer.
My goodness! I don't even understand what that comment is supposed to mean or why my comments have been singled out. mistfire is free of course to develop whatever he or she wishes!

I've been at times advocating both tiny core linux and slitaz for years and even had some elements of slitaz incorporated at times into Dog developments, but my thoughts and ideas are no more than that ever.

wiak
It sounded like some of your comments are comming from the "dog" perspective rather than the "puppy perspective". This isn't to say that one is better than the other but puppy is what I know and love. The dogs are foriegn to me so I don't know how they compare.

Anway, the work that mistfire is doing looks very interesting (both with this and also x-slaco slim). She seems to be progressing very fast with this and I simply don't know what kinds of feedback at this point helps or hurt her creative process.

My guess is that she is glad to see the enthusiasm from you and others. Anway, I think we are heading down a needless distraction. We should get back to the great work she is doing and please offer your feedback of course, I just want her to know that there are other voices and we all may not agree what the best direction is and so in the end the ultimate choice rests with her.

mistfire

#170 Post by mistfire »

@rg66 and @peebee what was the filesize of the main sfs generated by the builder?

As of now I keep modifying the script. I noticed when applying patches. some symlinks dont overwritten with files so I append --remove-destination on cp command.

@wiak and @s243a there is no need for debate like that I'm just balancing the best of two distros to merge as one. But I preferred lightweight, efficient, modern, and fast distro. My benchmark right now is to run puppy comfortably at 256Mb of RAM or even lower.

rg66

#171 Post by rg66 »

mistfire wrote:@rg66 and @peebee what was the filesize of the main sfs generated by the builder?
Mine was 60.3MB

darry19662018

#172 Post by darry19662018 »

darry19662018 wrote:[quote= If you have spare time, can you please test the following:

* Create and load savefile in ext2/3/4 partition
* Persistence in flash memory
* Persistence in multisession cd

I have installed to a ext 3 partition and it is working well with savefile so this is working running frugal.

I'll create the flash memory scenario and get back to you.
Sorry no can do multisession CD.[/quote]

Also checked out save folder option under flash install also works.

peebee

#173 Post by peebee »

mistfire wrote:@rg66 and @peebee what was the filesize of the main sfs generated by the builder?
62.7MB
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

wiak

#174 Post by wiak »

mistfire wrote: @wiak and @s243a there is no need for debate like that
I don't remember making any "debate" or challenging anyone else's comments about tazpup but please don't expect me to silently read my technical comments being misrepresented, as below:
s243a wrote: It sounded like some of your comments are comming from the "dog" perspective rather than the "puppy perspective".
@s243a: keep your irrelevant (and frankly nonsense and irritating) opinion that I am coming from a 'dog perspective' to yourself please; it is neither your knowledge or business what my perspective is. Keep to the topic rather than side-swipe attacking myself with insinuations that have no truth in any reality. Most of my own contributions were written for Puppy, including obviously makepup, but even my 9 year or so old Precord is still in use by some on some Puppy distributions, which is long before any Dog started barking mad.

Anyway, sorry about that mistfire, I simply don't want to be discussed at all personally in that manner on your thread (or any other) and won't accept that to continue. As you know, I am delighted with your work and progress on tazpup.

wiak

s243a

#175 Post by s243a »

When I try to save to a CD get the following error:

Code: Select all

(TazPup 4.4 is now shutting down ...

grep: unreocognized option ' --extended -regexp'
Comand line grep --extended -regexp non\ - DVD|not a DVD unit|Input/Output error|Invalid argument

BusyBox v1.27.2 (2018-03-05 16:01:00 CET) multi-call binary

Usage grep ....
Note that it was stuck at

TazPup 4.4 is now shutting down ...
all night. I got the error when I pressed the enter key in the morning. I'm using a RW CD and I didn't close the session. The media should be writable. I'm not sure why it is looking for a DVD when I'm using a CD.

Marv

#176 Post by Marv »

Installed PuSysinfo-2.8 by converting a .pet. Runs fine rinning as root. Installed geany and removed Beaver using the taz package manager. Set geany as the default text editor and copy/pasted in my geany configs from my other pups. Seems fine, I missed it. Added flsynclient,from a local pet, set up my touchpad and put the two following lines in /etc/init.d/local.sh (replaces rc.local in slitaz)

mkdir -p /mnt/sda2; mount -t ext2 /dev/sda2 /mnt/sda2
flsynclient -s
In general I make configuration changes to Tux and root (appropriate permissions set) so the two sides 'look' the same. Some learning curve but not too bad.

Added "Categories=System;" to slitaz-logout.desktop so I could easily add it to my panel application launcher.

A question, where is samba/simple file sharing invoked at boot in tazpup? I'd like to disable that so the notifications don't pop up at boot. I think I've looked in the obvious places but haven't found the equivalent of Boot Manager or where to do it manually.

Cheers,
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

rg66

#177 Post by rg66 »

Marv wrote:A question, where is samba/simple file sharing invoked at boot in tazpup? I'd like to disable that so the notifications don't pop up at boot. I think I've looked in the obvious places but haven't found the equivalent of Boot Manager or where to do it manually.
/usr/bin/lxsession-edit, menu entry is called Desktop Session Settings. Start up .desktop is in /etc/xdg/autostart.

smokey01

#178 Post by smokey01 »

Savefiles are working and persistent in A7.

I'm still not sure why the nouveau graphics driver can't see my two monitors. It works in slacko. Maybe a different version is required.

mistfire

#179 Post by mistfire »

@s243a thanks for the feedback about save to CD. I replaced the grep with the full one. Also I noticed that dvd+rw-mediainfo and growisofs is missing. It is now added on my latest experiment.

Terry H

#180 Post by Terry H »

I can't get sound working on my laptop Dell Latitude 3350 Intel Core i3-5005 Broadwell. I ran AlsaMixer, sound appears to default to HDMI, I used Fn + F6 to select the HDA Intel PCH. I set the Master and Speaker to 100%, but am still unable to get any sound. Each time I run AlsaMixer, it comes up as HDMI, so it appears any settings I am attempting to make have no effect.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Edit: I copied asound.conf from another puppy and now am able to get sound working.