Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 18 Aug 2018, 19:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
How do I modify ROX detail columns?[SOLVED]
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
Puppyt

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 00:28    Post subject:  

Update.
damn. Changes not persisting between rox windows. Prolly won't be persistent on rebooting. *sigh*

woodenshoe-wi

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 13:15    Post subject:  

I guess I forgot that other people run 64 bit puppies too, so I made a 64 bit standalone version. These will not mess up your pinboard, but you will still need to restart X or reboot after installing to start the new version.

Edit: These were buggy, newer versions posted later.

Quote:
And I've found the/an old thread about fixing Rox to move its columns - only 8 and bit years old:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=430159#430159

I think this is where the movable columns originally came from, if anyone wants to make enhancements to make the configuration persistent I will gladly compile and release new pets. The current source code that I am using is at https://github.com/woodenshoe-wi/rox-filer

Edit: Removed links.

Last edited by woodenshoe-wi on Sun 20 May 2018, 01:26; edited 2 times in total
davids45

PostPosted: Mon 14 May 2018, 21:25    Post subject: Old Rox-filer with movable columns
Subject description: Default lay-out negates need for moving?

G'day puppyt,

I've been trying the Rox-Filer bin files (located in /usr/local/apps/RoxFiler/) for the Pups that I found, so far, that have moveable columns - e.g. xenialpup-7.5, DPup-Stretch - as well as the 2011 file from the old thread.

I have replaced the inflexible Rox-Filer file in a small number of Frugal Pups, with random choices of one of these flexible Rox-Filers (see screenshot of my Rox-Filer directory on my data drive) and, so far, all have given me a movable-columned Rox-Filer after restarting X and after rebooting.

There is quite a difference in the size of these Rox-Filer files - nearly doubling from 2011 to today - but so far the older version (373kB) seems just as good as the more recent ones (605kB).

The only glitsch was when I tried to use a sym-link of a movable Rox-Filer from my data partition to a test Frugal - lost the pinboard on rebooting so I reverted to the simple delete&replace and all was fine again.

I did notice that the movable Rox-Filers have a good default lay-out with the column I want most often to use ('Last Modified') now always in view by default, as the two preceding columns are quite narrow.

So the failure to retain a changed lay-out between sessions is not such a problem for me as the 'new' default is 'user-friendly' anyway.

Resizing the columns is very limited (only the same 2 can be resized?) and there seems no way to delete an unwanted column. Again, the better default view with these Rox-Filers renders my desire to do such changes now minimal.

Thanks for creating this thread in the first place,

David S.
RoxFilerVersionsFound.jpg
 Description   My 'good' Rox-Filer collection - viewed in a fixed Rox-Filer in LxPupSc-18.05+2 (64-bit kernel in a 32-bit Pup)
 Filesize   75.16 KB
 Viewed   161 Time(s)

RoxFilerVersionsFound.jpg

woodenshoe-wi

PostPosted: Sun 20 May 2018, 01:22    Post subject:  

These versions should accomplish what Puppyt was talking about in the first post. Look in the "List View" section of the Options dialog.

32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/kdpeijwr04ab6qk/rox-filer-standalone32-woodenshoe-3.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/n7siot59c4vswas/rox-filer-standalone64-woodenshoe-3.pet?dl=1

They also fix a bug in version 2.
Bushbuck

PostPosted: Mon 21 May 2018, 22:58    Post subject:  

Thank you, woodenshoe-wi!

An old 32-bit edition had the ability to move the header columns, and I didn't like the way it disappeared in the 64-bit ones.

Now I have Xenial Puppy64 plus a sorted-out ROX filer, perfect.

woodenshoe-wi

PostPosted: Tue 22 May 2018, 15:46    Post subject:  

You're welcome.

The change I added in version 3 makes it possible to select which columns are shown in List View mode.
Options_List_View_small.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   21.46 KB
 Viewed   59 Time(s)

Options_List_View_small.jpg

Page 2 of 2 [21 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: