How to put Lucid Puppy on a flash drive?

Booting, installing, newbie
Electrojim

How to put Lucid Puppy on a flash drive?

#1 Post by Electrojim »

I've got an HP 201 netbook that's always been as slow as molasses under Windows 7, so I thought I'd put Lucid Puppy 528.005 on it. I'd put an earlier version of Lucid Puppy on another old machine, which worked fine until it finally bit the weenie.

So I downloaded the .iso and moved it to a flash drive (the HP has no CD). The only other thing on the flash drive is the System Volume Information, and try as I might, I can't get rid of it.

I wiped the HP hard drive with DBAN, set the BIOS to read the USB first, plugged-in the flash drive and turned it on. It can't find anything to boot from. I think there must be more to this, when using a flash drive, than I had to go through before when I had a computer with a CD drive.

I read through Alex Gotev's 'Introduction...', about installing from a USB stick, and still am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I also downloaded the Universal USB Installer .exe, 1.9.8.1 and used it to create another flash drive. Still no go.

Could someone drop a hint or two, please? I'm a Windows guy and don't speak Linux well yet, so please be gentle.
Last edited by Electrojim on Tue 01 May 2018, 03:09, edited 1 time in total.

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

I've had good luck with Unetbootin. I bookmarked some other methods at:

http://www.pearltrees.com/s243a/more-in ... id12405939

I've heard that you can often simply copy it to a USB (if the iso was build with isohybird). However, to do this you have to use something like dd, which would mean you're probably running linux or maybe Cygwin.

If you have a computer with more jucice say 8GB of ram you could also try puppy in a virtual box. Fatdog64 runs very well in a virtual box.

Burn_IT

#3 Post by Burn_IT »

You won't be able to get rid of System Volume information.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

ally

#4 Post by ally »

I format fat32 and set boot flag in gparted

download the ISO, click to expand,copy contents over to USB stick

run grub4dos

that's it

:)

mikeslr

Variant of the Chicken & Egg Problem

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Electrojim,

You've encountered the chicken and egg problem. Once you have chickens its easy to get more. But on your way to creating the first chicken you can end up with a velociraptor that will eat you.

Having wiped your HP hard drive with DBAN I take it that you're using a different computer with a different operating system in your effort to create a USB-Flash drive that will boot Lucid 528.005.

What operating system does that computer use? If, being a Windows guy, it's Windows, you only need two things: (1) the Lucid 528.005 ISO, downloaded to someplace where the computer you are using to setup the flash drive can find it but not the target USB-Stick :lol: ; and (2) Linux Live USB-Creator. I like the portable version you can get here: http://www.linuxliveusb.com/en/other-versions. Download it, unzip it, click it's exe file and point it to your Flash Drive and your ISO. Do not check the box for "Persistence" as Puppies have their own method. Do let USB-Creator reformat your flash drive, especially because by now you may have screwed it up and, in any event, USB-Creator requires the flash drive be formatted as Fat32.

If the computer you're using does not run Windows, let us know.

Suggestions: Rather than Lucid 528.005, obtain the Lupu 5.2.8.7 ISO from here, http://www.mediafire.com/?5il6yef4h3sdj: Same Puppy but with updated security and applications.

Or Precise-Minimal-Retro: Precise Pangolin was Ubuntu's next Long-Term OS after Lucid Lynx. It's binaries were used in building Precise Puppy. csipesz updated it last year. I wrote about it here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 611#985611 and read the posts which follow. There are only a couple.

You can obtain the ISO here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B38lNu ... sp=sharing

Or Slacko 5.7.1. Read the posts (only two pages) and obtain the ISO from here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 794#976794. Several of us consider Slacko 5.6 and 5.7 as the 'go to puppy' when you just want to get things done. Sailor Enceladus has brought it up to date.

mikesLr

RetroTechGuy

#6 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Burn_IT wrote:You won't be able to get rid of System Volume information.
Well, Linux (Puppy) can delete the folder/tree but as soon as Windows touches it again, it will put it back on the drive...
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

Electrojim

#7 Post by Electrojim »

Guys, thank you all very much. I'm going to follow mikeslr's instructions to the letter and see what happens. Will report!

Electrojim

#8 Post by Electrojim »

Well, that did it. I now have Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7 on the HP Netbook. WiFi and USB trackball work fine, so I'm stoked.

When prompted to choose a browser, I went for Firefox, as it's 15mB size in the list was no bigger than Sea Monkey, which I had chosen in my previous Puppy experience due to its small profile. There was an option for which Firefox version to choose, so I took the one from the top of the list, Firefox 24. That "couldn't be found," so I went for the next one, Firefox 13. It installed just fine, but immediately told me it was hopelessly out of date and suggested I update accordingly. I did, and what I got was Firefox 45.0.2, at several times the program file size. It did install, and works, most of the time, but crashes routinely when pointed at 'big' Websites, such as YouTube and eBay. I have the feeling now that I should have picked another browser, and am open to suggestions. As a Linux novice, however, I don't know how to uninstall stuff, so bonehead help is much appreciated.

The HP Netbook is certainly responding faster than it ever did under Windows 7, but I realize it's got limited resources. All suggestions for workarounds are welcome. My main purpose in re-purposing this Netbook is to have a save Websurfing environment, especially when going to 'dicey' destinations. In connection with my business, I frequently get purchase inquiries that are very dubious, with attached 'purchase orders' as PDFs, Word .docs or .zip files. It would be nice to open these on a machine that's not easily compromised.

mikeslr

#9 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Electrojim,

This may help regardless of what else you do: Open Menu>System>gparted partition manager to any drive, resize it, then add a 2 Gb swap partition. gparted works like Windows Partition Magic. But don't hesitate to ask for help. Linux systems will automatically use swap as if it were RAM. But it's about 10 times slower --even more so if on a USB-Stick. However, it will reduce the crashes that otherwise occur when RAM is exhausted.

It would help to know how much RAM you have. The computer specs says it comes with 1 Gb with a max of 2 Gb. With a 320 Gb hard-drive it easily has enough storage space for a couple dozen Puppies as each only needs its own folder. Fully flesh-out and sharing SFSes and external Programs (they work like Windows portables) I haven't found a Frugally installed Puppy which needs more than 4 Gbs. They share data/work files.

But seriously, even though Lupu/Lucid will satisfy most of your needs, I'd like to add a more recent Puppy --slacko 6, Tahrpup or Xenialpup-- from which you could run a recent google-chrome or one of its "clones" -- Chromium or Iron. These are now packaged to run as "spot". Spot is a limited "user". It can only access its own folder. It can not write to or read from the rest of your system or anywhere else on the hard-drive. You, of course, can open a file-manager to the Spot folder and copy or move the files elsewhere, unzip files or just read/examine them in the Spot folder (but, of course, in so doing you're running as root/Administrator so opening Spot's jail door. But there are addons/extension enabling you to read files in your browser-running-as-spot, and maybe unzip them). Unfortunately none of the recent Chrome-and-clones will AFAIK run under Puppies published before the 3 I've mentioned and running Chrome-and-clones under those will, as a practical matter, require 2 Gbs of RAM.

Some older Puppies may be able to run Seamonkey or Firefox as Spot. But I've never tried.

About the only modern browser I believe will run under Lupu is watchdog's customized version of Palemoon. Palemoon is a fork of firefox. You can obtain palemoon-27.9.0-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet, here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 676#973676.

My preference for keeping my Puppies safe is to run them with "Automatic Save Removed". Frugal Puppies 'run in RAM' only writing to your SaveFile or SaveFolder either automatically (the default) or when you manually execute a Save. Whatever is in RAM which hasn't been Save is cleared on reboot/shutdown. There's an entire thread on how to remove the Automatic Save. But hopefully, you can skip most of it if you follow the instructions on this post, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 834#966834 -- I think you will need shinobar's PupSaveConfig, (link provided there) and even if you don't, installing it won't hurt.

But also read this post on the "Remove Automatic PupSave" thread and those which follow. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 066#974066. It's a long post providing many suggestions, not all of which even I implement. But it explains how to do one thing which will help to alleviate Web-browser crashing: As you surf the net and open a page on a Website, your browser "caches" the contents of that page on your computer. In a Frugally installed Puppy, that "cache" is in RAM, and within a few minutes of clicking from one web-page to another you can have hundreds of Mbs of RAM being used to store the cache. Instructions are provided on how to move caches out of RAM for all web-browsers.

mikesLr

Electrojim

#10 Post by Electrojim »

Well that's all good info, but I jumped the gun and got into trouble all on my own. Using the Puppy Manager, or whatever it's called, I was able to uninstall Firefox and then install the second listed version of SeaMonkey. That installation went well, I sort-of customized the installation for my operating preferences, and tried surfing the Web. All went very well, no crashes, pages loaded as expected and audio/video ran just fine.

Then, patting myself on the back, I decided to commit the Puppy files to the hard drive, just so I wouldn't have to keep track of the flash drive. The first step was to partition-off a 4GB space for the OS. Then I followed directions for putting the contents of the flash drive there, and shut the machine down. Well, now when I try to start it without the flash drive plugged in, I get nothing but a flashing underline character at the top-left of the screen. When I plug the flash drive back in and restart (it's still first in the boot sequence), I get the yellow Puppy splash screen, things look like they try to load, but I finally get a message: "lupu528.sfs not found" then "/bin/sh: can't access tty" and "job control turned off."

I don't know if there's a way to save what's been done, or whether I should DBAN the hard drive again and start over.

So much I don't know about this, darn it. There is a local Linux group that meets not far from here, and their Web presence invites newbies to come, bring their machines and get help. I used to have a friend who was a Linux heavyweight... got me interested initially, in fact... but he passed away not long ago. Hope that doesn't happen to me!

In any event, thanks very much for the guidance; I'm printing it out to have on hand when I try this again.

Mike Walsh

#11 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ Mike/Electrojim:-

There is also one of watchdog's 'tweaked' versions of FF 45 esr which will run OK under Lucid; I use it myself.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=109551

This is FF 45.9.0esr, with the upgraded glibc from Tahrpup included, so that the modern Adobe Flash will run correctly. Watchdog compiled this one specifically for Wary & Lucid.

I also concur with Mike's recommendation for PaleMoon; again, it's a 'tweaked' version by watchdog, specifically to overcome the drawbacks associated with Lucid's very elderly glibc.

All I'm waiting (and hoping for) now is for watchdog to 'tweak' FF Quantum to run in these wonderful older Puppies. I gave up on Firefox many years ago when Chrome was first released, due to FF's tendency to crash at the slightest provocation. But with the recent release of Quantum, I've regained some of that lost respect for Mozilla; they really have done their homework, and fixed a lot of the old problems. I don't mind using it now; it's very similar in operation to Chrome itself; smooth, responsive.....and pretty 'nippy', too!

Mike. :wink:

mikeslr

#12 Post by mikeslr »

Hi again Electrojim,

"Then I followed directions for putting the contents of the flash drive there, [the hard drive] and shut the machine down". What instructions did you follow? What, if any bootloader did you install to the hard-drive? Provide link to instructions if possible.

I may be possible to put Humpty Dumpty back together again if we know that.

Also, is there still a lupu528.sfs file on the USB-stick? Spelled that way, using only small letter for "lupu"?

Electrojim

#13 Post by Electrojim »

Hi, all,

I had to take a day off, but am back at this now. Being the impatient type, I went ahead on my own, wiped the drive again, and reinstalled lupu-5.2.8.7-20171125.iso. It's running fine now from the flash drive, but I have not yet installed a browser.

I'm inclined to go with mikeslr's recommendation of Palemoon. His link took me to a posting with a long list of edits to that post, but I assumed that the last file link for this one: 27.9.0-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet, edited 19 April, is the one to use. I've downloaded this under Windows, and now have a .gz folder
of some 45+MB. I'm not 100% sure where to go from here, but would be inclined to copy this onto a flash drive and stick it in the Linux Notebook. From there I'd probably muddle-around, hoping to figure out how to get it installed, but if I could get some specific instructions that would be great. Both the Windows and Puppy machines are up and ready, but no hurry at all.

Many thanks for the help, you guys.

s243a

#14 Post by s243a »

Electrojim wrote:Hi, all,

I had to take a day off, but am back at this now. Being the impatient type, I went ahead on my own, wiped the drive again, and reinstalled lupu-5.2.8.7-20171125.iso. It's running fine now from the flash drive, but I have not yet installed a browser.

I'm inclined to go with mikeslr's recommendation of Palemoon. His link took me to a posting with a long list of edits to that post, but I assumed that the last file link for this one: 27.9.0-p4-sse-glibc219tweak.pet, edited 19 April, is the one to use. I've downloaded this under Windows, and now have a .gz folder
of some 45+MB. I'm not 100% sure where to go from here, but would be inclined to copy this onto a flash drive and stick it in the Linux Notebook. From there I'd probably muddle-around, hoping to figure out how to get it installed, but if I could get some specific instructions that would be great. Both the Windows and Puppy machines are up and ready, but no hurry at all.

Many thanks for the help, you guys.
You just have to click on the pet to install it in the version of puppy that you are running.

Also there is a somewhat newish version of chromium that you cam install via quick pet. I'll give you instructions when I get home.

Electrojim

#15 Post by Electrojim »

Well, s243a, I did load the Palemoon .gz file onto a stick, put it in the Puppy machine, it came up and I clicked on the file. Evidently the file was unpacked 'in its present location' (the flash drive), giving me a tw extension. When I click on that, I'm asked if I want to install. I say, 'yes, please,' but almost immediately get a simply notification that the .pet failed to install.

I then wiped the stick, put the Palemoon .gz file back on, and transferred it to the Puppy Desktop. Then tried extracting, still no go.

cthisbear

#16 Post by cthisbear »

You mean HP Mini 210 don't you?

Basically an Eeepc.

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c01968859

I have the Acer variant.

The newer Dpups by Ttuxxx and Radky run on them but
not as fast as Lucid.

Chris.

8Geee

#17 Post by 8Geee »

I have aa preconfigured version of FireFox27.
It has many things set up for security and privacy.
This is a simple zipped file that you put in root and then extract there. A hidden folder named .mozilla contains everything. Drag the Firefox gear icon to the desktop for simple startup.

latest version is HERE.

Removal is simple, just remove that .mozilla file you installed and remove the Firefix gear icon from the desktop.

BTW, you should remove the zipped file when done installing.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Electrojim

#18 Post by Electrojim »

Hi, 8Geee,

Thanks for that link. I've downloaded the file but haven't installed it yet. A couple of questions.

Not sure how Firefox IDs their versions, but 27 (at least in Windows) would appear to be quite dated. Is this a current-enough version of FF to do all the TLS handshake stuff and play current video protocols without fussing with it much?

Also, the instructions say something about backing up the existing Puppy Mozilla file, as this installation overwrites it. Am I missing something here? If this browser turns out not to work on this HP 210, would I be able to remove it easily, as you have outlined, and try another?

Thanks for your help!