Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 22 Jun 2018, 07:29
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 14 of 24 [359 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 06:21    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
Quote:
...even when underlying system shell is dash

Where is this occurring?

I don't understand. How does changing the code in Fred's version of gtkdialog allow our gtkdialog apps to be run on another OS that uses dash?

As I said, I was referring to:

Quote:
the problem with dash not able to see bash exported functions (export -f).

Put more simply, if you use dpkg-reconfigure dash and accept the system shell as dash, many of our bash/gtkdialog programs will no longer work, despite the bash scripts themselves having heading #!/bin/bash. gtkdialog always uses the system shell when function calls are made from it and system shell dash can't see bash exported functions.

wiak
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 08:19    Post subject:  

So this change is to accommodate people who are using one of Fred's projects, but want to switch from bash to dash?
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 09:45    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
So this change is to accommodate people who are using one of Fred's projects, but want to switch from bash to dash?

No, there is no change required by anyone. If I had managed to modify gtkdialog it would certainly have been easier to modify existing programs to also work if underlying system shell was dash (but main script still with #!/bin/bash as first line). However, that wouldn't have changed operation of existing scripts at all; I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway. The other thing Fred is talking about is workarounds that do work - in particular the programming pattern proposed by step in Programming Thread:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=993139#993139

As things stand, none of your peasy programs, for example, would work on a system that had /bin/sh as a link to dash (for example typical Debian system) despite your main script first line being #!/bin/bash. Same with most of my own bash/gtkdialog programs, which I would like to change since I would like my own programs to be more portable (so can use on Ubuntu and Debian systems without dpkg-reconfigure dash first).

None of this effects or would effect anyone who wished to keep bash as their system shell. Nor was I asking Fred to modify anything in the Dogs (that's up to him if he would like it to all work with dash, which would be a lot of effort).

wiak
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 10:09    Post subject:  

I understand the issue. I was involved in the discussion when it arose several years ago.

But gtkdialog is a mission-critical piece of software. Before people start tinkering with it, I would like to understand the rationale.

Quote:
I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway.

So patching the gtkdialog binary is now off the table?
wiak

PostPosted: Fri 25 May 2018, 11:59    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:
I understand the issue. I was involved in the discussion when it arose several years ago.

But gtkdialog is a mission-critical piece of software. Before people start tinkering with it, I would like to understand the rationale.

Quote:
I didn't manage to get my desired change to work anyway.

So patching the gtkdialog binary is now off the table?

I doubt if it was ever on the table for most people. I was just wanting a patched version for my own interest really and still do, if only to understand why gtkdialog doesn't accept bash -c "commandstring" (in <action> tags) as way of 'seeing' the export -f bash functions, when /bin/sh is dash, whereas YAD does use bash -c in that way for its --button commands, which seems a lot better to me. Of course, were an improvement possible to gtkdialog without upsetting the apple cart more generally that would surely be good. I remember BarryK didn't seem to trust Thunor's first attempts to mod gtkdialog, but that is all water under the bridge now.

wiak
wiak

PostPosted: Sat 26 May 2018, 06:10    Post subject:  

rcrsn51 wrote:

I have now forked the project with new project name, on my github site, in order to avoid any confusion since the mods I am making do significantly change core process handling within the program (albeit hopefully keeping the main programming functionality the same or better). I am in the process of organising that new repository but I will wait till I push/publish my new code there until I am satisfied, simply for my own specific programming purposes, with its operation and functionality.

wiak
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 05:46    Post subject:  

It's ok now ... there must have been something wrong with my changes directory.

Tray icons need to be size 48x48 it seems....no auto-scaling!

How to change alsa mixer gui to show controls for card 1 instead of card 0 which is hdmi?
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 06:01    Post subject:  

stemsee wrote:
How to change alsa mixer gui to show controls for card 1 instead of card 0 which is hdmi?

Get sound-card-selector from Fred's repo.
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 06:46    Post subject:  

Thanks!

What eventually worked was writing this to ~/.asoundrc
Code:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 0
}
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 0
}
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 06:52    Post subject:    

sound-card-selector is very good, but I would not have found it otherwise ... may I suggest including it as default, as I just spent three hours getting sound up!
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 07:02    Post subject:  

You may also want to use sound-card-selector's "kernel modules" feature.

I have found that the HDMI and internal cards may randomly switch numbers at bootup.

[Edit] But I never figured out what to do if both cards use the same kernel module.

[Edit-Edit] Actually, the switching problem may occur when the machine has two different physical sound cards, not with HDMI.
stemsee

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 07:23    Post subject:  

And now that I have sound working, alsamixer wont start. 'Invalid argument'.
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 07:46    Post subject:  

I just set up BionicDog on a machine with HDMI.

Using sound-card-selector, my .asoundrc becomes
Code:
defaults.pcm.card 1
defaults.pcm.device 0
defaults.ctl.card 1

This appears to be equivalent to your setup.

When I run alsamixer, it works correctly.

[Edit] Your version should be
Code:
pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
        device 0
}
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 1
}
zaivala

PostPosted: Mon 28 May 2018, 22:02    Post subject: BionicDog64 messed me over  

I saw your distro @sneekylinux on YouTube. I installed in a partition previously containing XenialPup64. The install completely overwrote my current GRUB (I have 3 other distros on separate partitions) & didn't even create a boot to Bionic. So I booted from the CD again, and BD64 won't find my Wi-Fi so, for now, I can't use my computer at all. Totally screwed. I'm not savvy enough to know how to restore my boot without reinstalling one of the other distros.
zagreb999

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2018, 01:33    Post subject:  

hi stemsee,

do install retrovol or pulseaudio...
Page 14 of 24 [359 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, ..., 22, 23, 24 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: