KeePass

Booting, installing, newbie
TheScorpion

KeePass

#1 Post by TheScorpion »

Does anyone run the password saving program KeePass on Linux? If so, how do you go about installing it and getting it to run?
I'm using Tahrpup64 live from a USB flash drive.

step

#2 Post by step »

For Linux I recommend this stepped-up version: https://keepassxc.org/.
You need to ask someone to build a pet for Tahrpup64.

There is a package built for Fatdog64 here http://distro.ibiblio.org/fatdog/contri ... 6_64-1.txz. I don't know if it works on Tahrpup64. To try it you need to ask someone to repackage it for Tahrpup64.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

SFR

#3 Post by SFR »

There's also an official AppImage (x86_64) that should work OOTB.

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

TheScorpion

#4 Post by TheScorpion »

SFR wrote:There's also an official AppImage (x86_64) that should work OOTB.

Greetings!
Thanks for the link SFR. On that page there is 'Official Applmage' and alongside it there is 'Official Snap Package sudo snap install keepassxc'
If I click on its 'Install' will that guide me through an install of Keepass on Tahrpup64?
I suspect it'll be more involved than that and don't want to mess up Tahrpup.

SFR

#5 Post by SFR »

If it comes for (any) AppImage, it's just a matter of downloading it, making it executable (via ROX-Filer or 'chmod +x KeePassXC-2.3.3-x86_64.AppImage') and clicking it.
The Keepassxc AppImage seems to work fine in Fatdog64 and probably should also work in Tahrpup64.
I was never using Snaps, though, so can't really tell anything about it...

Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

I'll agree with SFR on that suggestion.

The official KeePass AppImage works OOTB in Tahr64. I tried re-building the package step provided from FatDog64 (it needed a fair few extremely new Qt5 modules), but I came unstuck on libicui18n.so.57. Everybody has a 32-bit package for this, but I could not find one single 64-bit version anywhere. And it doesn't want to play ball with the 32-bit lib, naturally! As with so many current applications, it's been compiled to want the very newest of everything... :roll:

Even the newest mainstream releases, although they provide a 64-bit package, it appears to contain a 32-bit binary. And it won't work with KeePass. It doesn't want to know. So:-

D/l the 64-bit Official AppImage. Rt-clk, select 'Properties'. Tick off the three 'execute' checkboxes, then click 'Refresh'. Now click on the AppImage itself. It'll unpack itself into /tmp for the duration, and, all things being equal, will run from there.

Looks like your best bet. If you place the AppImage in /mnt/home, then install the attached MenuEntry.pet, this will keep it outside of 'Puppyspace' (your save-file/folder), and allow you to start it from the Menu. Look under Menu->Utility.

(Or, if you want, just drag it onto the desktop, where it'll act as its own 'launcher'. You can edit the name, if you want, and/or give it an icon. PNG is best.)

Use the attached icon if you want. Rt-clk->'Save image as...'

Mike. :wink:
Attachments
keepass.png
PNG icon for KeePass
(7.11 KiB) Downloaded 759 times
KeePass-MenuEntry.pet
MenuEntry for KeePass password manager...
(7.54 KiB) Downloaded 170 times

TheScorpion

#7 Post by TheScorpion »

Thanks for the replies SFR and Mike.
I'm pretty dumb when it comes to Linux. I found /mnt/sdb1, /mnt/sda2 and clicking on sda1 gave /mnt/sda1 (Thumbs)
Couldn't find any /mnt/home.
If I click on the 'house' icon in any of those above, it takes me to a list of things with just ~(Thumbs) across the top. Is that /mnt/home?

If so, would I just put the d/loaded Official Appimage into that and then run that MenuEntry Pet or do I have to first tick off those 'execute' boxes etc after inserting AppImage into /mnt/home?

(Sorry, I'm feeling around in the dark here!) :?

Mike Walsh

#8 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ TheScorpion:-
TheScorpion wrote:I'm pretty dumb when it comes to Linux.
I doubt you're any worse than most of us were when we first started; we all have to take small steps to begin with, until you become more confident..!

No, you'll find that anything with the 'squiggle' ['~'] (as I call it!), refers to /root. This is Puppy's 'home' directory.....but it's not the 'home' you're looking for.

/Mnt/home is the 'base' level of the partition where Puppy is installed (in this case your USB drive). It's where all the Puppy OS 'stuff' lives.....the main Tahr64 SFS file, vmlinuz (the kernel), initrd.gz (Puppy's compressed virtual file-system)....stuff like that. In this case, '~' is mounted as the home directory.

(If you take '/' itself, all other directories are sub-directories of this one; you simply can't go any further back in the file-system. And in Linux, absolutely everything is treated as a 'file'.....and everything is mounted into one big 'tree'.)

Anyway, that's stuff for another day! The easiest way to find /mnt/home is as follows:-

1) Click on the 'Files' icon, top-left corner of the desktop. This will open ROX at the /root ('home') folder. Now, click on the 'up' arrow, top-left corner of the window. This will take you into the main filesystem. Look for, and click on, 'mnt'. When that opens, look for, and click on, 'home'. This window should now be showing /mnt/home.....with the above-mentioned files, plus a few others. Leave this window open; it may help to drag it across to the right-side of the screen.

With me so far?

2) Click on 'Files' again, to open a second ROX-filer window. You want the location where you saved the AppImage (probably your Downloads folder?) Locate the AppImage. Now; click & hold on the AppImage, and drag it across and 'drop' it into an empty space in the first ROX-filer window. (Let go of the button, if you haven't already done so). A small window will appear, giving you four options; 'Copy'; 'Move'; 'Link(relative)'; 'Link(absolute)'. Click on 'Copy', and this should put a copy of the AppImage into /mnt/home.

Once you're happy it's working, you can delete it from your Downloads directory, since that's now taking up space in the save-file/folder.

3) Now, make sure you've made it executable. Notice the label of the AppImage; it will be in black text. Right-click, select 'Properties'. Make sure those three 'Execute' check-boxes have a tick in them. Now, click 'Refresh'; you should see the line where it says 'Run-action' change from 'No run action defined' to 'Execute file.' Now, 'Close' it. And notice that the text under the AppImage has now changed to green, indicating it's executable. It should now run.

4) Finally, click on the MenuEntry.pet to install it; just follow the prompts. You'll notice that apps, etc, install insanely fast in Puppy; this is just one of the many things we all love about it.....and a demonstration of the advantage of running in RAM for the session, since RAM is the fastest component of any system, with the exception of the CPU itself.

------------------------------------------------------

If you now look in Menu->Utility, you should find an entry for 'KeePass password manager'. Simply click on this.....and, all things being equal, KeePass should fire up.

I'm not a big fan of digging around in the Menu to find things; everyone who knows me will tell you I like a very 'busy' desktop, with permanent launchers for everything I use regularly. But Menu entries do have their place.....especially for less commonly-used items.

Have fun! Let us know how you get on with it.....and if my dumb instructions worked for you.

TheScorpion

#9 Post by TheScorpion »

Hi Mike,
Thanks for taking the time for the detailed instructions - though I get as far as clicking on 'mnt' and then there is nothing labelled 'home' in the window that appears. All that is showing is...
CD Rom, MS Dos, Data, RAM1, DVD, Swap, Flash, Zip, Floppy.

Also, can't find a 'downloads folder' anywhere but could I just copy the AppImage onto my USB and then access and drag it from there?
(I can see the USB files when clicking on 'sdb1' )

Mike Walsh

#10 Post by Mike Walsh »

Mm.

Strange. You should have a 'home' folder showing. However, to answer your question, yes; you certainly can copy it to your USB drive (alongside the Tahr64 files & stuff.....by all Puppy reckoning, that is '/mnt/home'. You can then drag it from there, drop it onto your desktop, and use that to launch it with. Anything treated thus automatically creates a symlink to the item's real location.

I was simply attempting to make things a bit tidier for you.....but the above method should definitely work.

Let us know what happens, please.

slavvo67

#11 Post by slavvo67 »

Why do I not trust programs like this? Even more concerning is an AppImage where you peek under the hood....

TheScorpion

#12 Post by TheScorpion »

Got Keepass working ok - for a while...
D/loaded the AppImage file to 'Desktop' - then found the desktop folder under the 'Files' icon (I think) and then dragged the AppImage from there onto the actual desktop. Then dragged it from there into sdb1 at bottom left of screen (USB files) where it changed to green and when clicked it ran KeePass ok from there.
I created a new database and entered all my passwords.
I then saved the database as 'Passwords.kdbx' from the KeePass program menu.
Closed down and re-opened KeePass several times to check that the database was still there and operational.
Powered off but now when I run Tahrpup/KeePass from the USB I can't seem to load that 'Passwords' data file or find it anywhere!

Is there a search function somewhere in Tahrpup that can be used to search everywhere for a file? Or am I out of luck and missed doing something that Linux requires before it will permanently save a file? :(

a_salty_dogg

#13 Post by a_salty_dogg »

Did you create a save-file as invited the first time you powered off Puppy?
If not this would explain, firstly why you couldn't find any "mnt/home" folder when you looked, also the reason everything you did in a session would have been done only in RAM and therefore lost after powering down.

Restart Tahr, set up your "first run" settings (like country, region, keyboard, internet connection, firewall, all as offered in the series of popups Puppy presents), then IMMEDIATELY choose to power off and follow the instructions on the screen to set up a save-file.
Then reboot (Puppy will find and load the save-file you just created) and start all over again with installing and setting up your keepass thingy, just like you did before and now know successfully works (so it was, as it turns out, all time well spent :wink: )
From now on all your work will be saved by default every 30 minutes and automatically on shutdown. (Note you can later change those defaults if you wish.)

The other question, you can find any file in any drive as long as it's mounted (single clicking on any of the drive icons in the lower left corner of your desktop mounts it; the drive containing puppy_tahr_xxx.sfs and/or tahrsave.2fs will already automatically have been mounted on boot, so ensure your "Passwords" file is saved to somewhere on "home" directory) by going to menu>Filesystem>Pfind file finder.

Mike Walsh

#14 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ TheScorpion:-

I believe a_salty_dogg has 'hit the nail on the head'. If you didn't create a save-file/folder at first shut-down, that would indeed explain why there's no sign of /mnt/home. I won't go into the technical stuff (all to do with the various different 'layers' of the file-system), since you're quite new to all this, but the save-file/folder is exclusive to Puppy. Even folks coming across from other Linux distros are bemused by this, since it's so different to what they're used to. It confuses the hell out of everybody to start with, so you're in good company..!

At first shut-down, so long as you create one, Puppy then has somewhere to save everything to. The save-folder will expand/contract in size with the contents, up to the size of the available space on your USB drive. A save-file, on the other hand, is 'fixed' in size, and contains an entire Linux file-system inside of it, which is 'layered' into, and merges with, the base Puppy files at startup. To the end-user, you're not aware what goes on behind the scenes, because it gives the impression that it's all just the same as any other standard operating system. But the 'save-file/folder' is one of Puppy's 'secret weapons', in a way; once created, you can then simply copy this one item somewhere safe, at any time.....and if at any time Puppy goes 'tits-up', simply delete the current one, and replace it with the saved copy. It's Puppy's version of the Windoze 'restore points', except it's a hell of a lot simpler to put right!

Just follow a_salty_dogg's instructions, and everything should then be as you saved it, the next time you boot into Pup.

TheScorpion

#15 Post by TheScorpion »

Mike and a_salty_dogg and SFR, thanks for all that. Followed the instructions and now all is well. Certainly is a learning curve!
Once again, thanks for your patience and help. Much appreciated. :D

Mike Walsh

#16 Post by Mike Walsh »

TheScorpion wrote:Mike and a_salty_dogg and SFR, thanks for all that. Followed the instructions and now all is well. Certainly is a learning curve!
Once again, thanks for your patience and help. Much appreciated. :D
Good, good; that's what we like to hear. Now you can settle into getting the hang of how Puppy works, and don't forget; any problems, that's what we're here for. Between us all, I reckon we can figure most problems out..!

Have fun.