which microsoft word version or office or powerpoint is the

Virtual machines, emulation, etc.
kiramm
Location: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 393#988393

which microsoft word version or office or powerpoint is the

#1 Post by kiramm »

which microsoft word version or office or powerpoint

is the newest possible to run on wine in puppy perfectly

and which wine play on linux recepeits i need to use for that ?

thank to every body who answers me

this i s my last question in this year

happy new puppy year!

Burn_IT

#2 Post by Burn_IT »

I rather suspect you are going to have to do the research yourself!!
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

mikeslr

Why

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Kiram,

Ditto what Burn_it said. You may find the answer by searching here: https://appdb.winehq.org/

But why run Microsoft Office under Wine?

As far as I know LibreOffice is almost fully Microsoft Office "file format" compatible: that is it can both read and write files using the same format Microsoft Office except that Microsoft keeps changing file formats to frustrate competitors. But, if you can't run the suite having the latest changes, running an older version of microsoft office presents no advantage over running a current version of LibreOffice.

There are two free alternatives to Libreoffice if you only need Wordprocessor, Spreadsheet and Presentations:

WPS office, available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 8df#879738

And Softmaker FreeOffice, available here: http://www.freeoffice.com/en/.

FreeOffice will require you to register (provide an email address). But it doesn't make a nuisance of itself. Maybe a couple of times a year they send you a link to download some free fonts, or let you know about a some "special" deal on their pay-for products. Before I acquired a hard-drive with more capacity than I know what to do with (and so now always use LibreOffice) I used FreeOffice regularly. It's a top-notch product which requires less RAM than LibreOffice. Your registration number is required to run the installation program and can be used to copy FreeOffice to any number of computers or even generate a portable version you can run from a USB-Stick.

mikesLr

Wyk72

#4 Post by Wyk72 »

Just for fun, I installed an old office 2007 enterprise from a DvD I had laying around, using the wine-portable package from mikesir (great job on that one!) on upupbb 18.05+3. After copying some fonts from the windows partition, everything I tested worked beautifully. I've been trying in the past using other versions of wine, with disappointing results. But this one (wine-portable-3.3_v2.1) is THE thing.

I had even tested some rather complex Excel VBA macros I wrote in the past, almost everything worked, I was really really impressed.

After that test, I installed a copy of Office 2010 Professional I use at work, in a new wine directory, and that one worked even better!

There are, of course, some glitches, but overall this is truly impressive.

The only really difficult thing was to get proper icons on menu bar (i'm a newbie with JWM).

mikeslr

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Wyk72,

Glad it worked. But just to be clear the real credit for any portable-wine I've packaged has to be given to shinobar and the Japanese Team who developed the portable-wine application and version2013 whose version of wine was substituted for the original. I don't have the skill to compile wine for Puppies nor write the code used in portable wine. As I've said elsewhere, all I've done is like dropping a new engine into a car and hooking it up. It's something anyone could do if they take the time which is why I spelled out the procedure.

I just thought the portable-wine concept was too useful not to continue it even if shinobar and the Japanese Team have moved on to other projects.

mikesLr