Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 19 Oct 2018, 18:46
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
New sub-forum for official Puppylinux releases
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 5 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 15:02    Post subject: what about 64 bits section.  

To Keep someting About sub-forum what about 64 bits section. I d'ont use Puppies 64 (excepted for a glance) But I find this idea (not mine) not stupid.. What could be invented about 32 bits when Ubuntu stopped development ?
About to create lot of new places better keep old ones and update them.. to see slacko 64 listed at the end after Puppy nop 431, there is a gap
DPUP stretch are missing.. but not only. (consider Ubuntu is dead for PC, Debian will be the only solution)
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 15:44    Post subject:  

B.K. Johnson wrote:
@musher0
NO INSULT INTENDED
You being a competent "googler", I'm surprised you asked.
I could have answered but did just that with this search title:
Much Ado About Nothing meaning

here is your answer

Thank you BKJohnson.
From wikipedia:
Quote:
Much Ado About Nothing is a comedy by William Shakespeare thought to have been written in 1598 and 1599, as Shakespeare was approaching the middle of his career. The play was included in the First Folio, published in 1623.

By means of "noting" (which, in Shakespeare's day, sounded similar to "nothing" as in the play's title,[1][2] and which means gossip, rumour, and overhearing), Benedick and Beatrice are tricked into confessing their love for each other, and Claudio is tricked into rejecting Hero at the altar on the erroneous belief that she has been unfaithful. At the end, Benedick and Beatrice join forces to set things right, and the others join in a dance celebrating the marriages of the two couples.

I may have acquired a pretty good command of the English language,
however a good number of English cultural references escape me
because my mother tongue is not English (and will never be).

Sorry if I offended anyone, but I was sincere.

So the play is about setting gossip right, is that it? How does that relate
to the subject of this thread?

Whereas your URL ref. translates it in modern English as: "A great deal of
fuss over nothing of importance."

I'm confused either way:
1) classification of sections in a forum is important
2) i don't see any gossip in this thread except in hamoudoudou's
reporting of what may have happened on another forum.

BFN.

Faithful she began, so will she stay. (Canadian prov.)

Last edited by musher0 on Sun 03 Jun 2018, 16:06; edited 1 time in total
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 15:58    Post subject:  

With all due respect, mavrothal, wiak, a couple of pages back, was right:
all we can do in this thread is exchange ideas and suggest improvements.

The power to really change or create classifications -- or anything else on
this board -- rests with its sole owner, J. Murga.

Which is why founding a new, democratic-type, forum for English-speakers,
encompassing anything related to Puppy Linux, may be something to
consider. Including showcasing of "official Puppylinux releases".

My 2 ¢. BFN.

James C

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 16:17    Post subject:  

I figured it was about time for another of these pointless threads.There is and has been a sub-forum for official releases for years located http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=42

The section was started way way back with 4.2 Deep Thought but for some reason people quit using it.
next puppy development.JPG
Description 
jpg

Download 
Filename  next puppy development.JPG 
Filesize  59.11 KB 
Downloaded  107 Time(s) 
puppy development section.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   40.77 KB
 Viewed   335 Time(s)

puppy development section.JPG

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 20:40    Post subject:  

It's a fundamental fact of life that we never get to write on a clean slate, the corollary of which is that undertaking a retrospective view is most often a waste of time. The best we can do is to honestly assess a situation and try to implement such changes as are possible and appear to solve the current problem.

This Forum was created by John Murga in or about 2005 using phpBB. At that time it was one of (if not the) highest rated applications for creating forums. It was more than adequate for the task for which it was intended: to provide for the publication of, support for and a place to discuss the creation of Puppy Linux by one man, Barry Kauler. As I understand it, today that software can neither be upgraded nor extensively modified.

Two Sections of this Forum reflected that initial condition: Derivatives and Projects. With Barry Kauler alone creating the "official" Puppy the only other operating systems which could properly bear the name Puppy were created by remastering. Consequently, they were all "Derivatives". The Projects Section served to provide a location for discussing 'Puppy-Related' Projects such as pets, SFSes, and extensions beyond those built into the operating system. [The inclusion six years ago of an Additional Software Section on the Forum was an innovation undertaken not without some objections].

Barry K's creation of Woof (and 'retirement') altered the fundamental situation as to the nature of Puppy Linux, and the Forum has had to adapt to that change. Anyone with the necessary skill can use Woof to create a Puppy. But what was to be its status: Was it an "Official" Puppy, or a "Derivative"? The fact is that those terms no longer served their original purpose. Some of us viewed with a degree of consternation the fact that the Woof-built Slacko received the designation "Official" while the equally fine, Woof-built Lucid did not.

Over time --and with less input by Barry about it-- a Rule of Thumb consensus appears to have developed: Woof-built Puppies are discussed under Projects; remasters of any Woof-built Puppy under Derivatives. But which Woof-built Puppies are entitled to the designation "Official"? There are three possibilities: None, All, only those published by one of the maintainers of Woof.

If this question were to be answered with a view soley of those who are familiar with the Forum in mind, than I have to whole-heartedly agree with Mike Walsh --much ado about nothing. But I think the question of "official" has more to do with the Forum's role as a publication to the rest of the world about Puppy. And that presents a problem. Puppy is a 'free-market' democracy: free-market in the sense that products are the result of one person having an idea which (s)he --perhaps with the help of a few others-- using their experience and hard work brings to fruition. On the Forum, it competes for attention with similar efforts and because the varied nature of computers on which Puppies will be run, there is no one "best" Puppy; but there might be a "best Puppy for your computer". How do you explain that to an audience which has been dumbed-down to think in terms of a couple variations of Windows (graded by capability and priced accordingly) or the "Official" version published by a Linux Distro's ingroup --with perhaps some 'community editions' differing from the official version by the window-manager offered.

Currently on Distrowatch Xenialpup64-7.5 is Puppy's 'Official' version. I'm not sure how that was decided. On my computers Xenialpup64-7.0.8.6 seems to be a superior version. I'll bet Slacko and FatDog aficionados have other opinions regarding which is the "best" overall Puppy. But if I were to nominate which Puppy should be advertised to 'the World', my nominees would be Sailor Enceladus' Slacko 5.7.1, Radky's Dpup-Stretch 7.5, musher0's xenialPup-7.0.6 32-bits with kernel 4.1, and several of peebee's LxPups. I'd be hard-pressed to choose between them. What they have in common is that they can all run 'modern' web-browsers on 32-bit computers. In other words what I'd be publishing to the world is that Puppy Linux can provide a modern computing experience on an 'old' computer.

You'll note that some of those candidates don't qualify as exclusively a 'Woof-built'.

Should we put it to a vote? And how would we weigh votes: one member = one vote; each member having one vote for each year of membership; each member having one vote for each of his/her posts on the forum --trolling included Shocked ; each member having as many votes as the number of words he/she's posted. [Obviously, I'll vote for the last. Laughing] And how will we deal with the flame-wars certain to arise during the election process?

May I suggest an alternative, something which the mechanics of the Forum should be able to handle. Honestly admit to ourselves that there is neither an Official Puppy, nor one Puppy which is "best"; and recognize that most newbies to Puppy will have learned about Puppy from obsolete and misleading posts elsewhere. We can't change what the rest of the world does. But we can add a Thread (as a Sticky) to the Beginner's Section: "How to Choose Your First Puppy". I know that there are threads on the Forum, including the Beginning Section, which contain that information. But it tends to get buried.

And perhaps ask those who publish any Puppy in the future to add a README to the ISO suggesting that thread be read.

mikesLr
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 21:07    Post subject: Debian must appear.  

I Repeat my opinion ; Puppys for in house training (Individual usage) must be separated from derivatives, official and projects..
Difference is like cooking at home and invite some friends to taste, and professional cooking to feed people .
Some very popular derivatives as Lucid asri EDU or ToOpPY are not even shown in any US Charts in spite downloads are more than official versions.. Well skip, but stretch has to be considered and added to official releases. Ubuntu has no future. Debian must appear.
Macpup is over, finished, abandoned, must be deleted.
Derivatives, a full listn Another abandoned topic.
Puppy Projects : DOGs don' want to be confused with Puppy Linux. Tthey are Live CDs as each Linux OS has.. For test Like the glass of wine they offer you before buying the bottle. If they are more of that, they are Puppies because born in Puppyland. and nationalized step by step,
Isobooter boots at home my Ubuntu 12.04, my Antix, my Linux Mint, and never i created a topic in Puppy derivatives for them..
musher0

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 22:29    Post subject:  

Clarity (mikesLr's post, 2nd post above)

and

Confusion (hamoudoudou's post, above).

Sorry for being so frank.

IMO, the only valid aspect in hamoudoudou's post is his mention of non-
Anglophone, "international" Puppies, being considered nowhere for
advertisement in mikesLr's approach.

I'm not only speaking for my village here (Francophone Toutou's), but for
josejp2424's Latin-American excellent "Jibaros", the formidable
Hungarian Pups, the elegant Italian Pups, the well-researched Chinese
Pups, and so on.

They need to be advertised somewhere central too, to show Puppy's
broad outreach. Anikin and co. will say: "Ah, but this is an English-
speaking forum." Of course. But since English is the new "lingua
franca", the international language of commerce most everybody knows,
IMO, these international Pups will need to be in the list too, if only with
their URL.

BFN.

~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. @ mikesLr: Nice touch, giving voting powers based on word
count !!! Wink I totally agree!!! Laughing

hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Sun 03 Jun 2018, 23:24    Post subject: difference between private and public  

Everybody will uderstand the difference between private and public.. If Musher0 does not, that is no longer a problem. First i believe it was strategic, but no, he really does not not understand the difference.
His Puppies are private. You can look at them ( and admire)
Peeee's Artfulpup is private or public ? I don't know. I would say private as Musher0'ones.
IMO It is not a derivative. It is a home training category..

DebianDog is very small Debian Live CD shaped to look and act like Puppy Linux. Debian structure and Debian behaviour are untouched and Debian documentation is 100% valid for DebianDog. You have access to all debian repositories using apt-get or synaptic.

""Puppy Linux is not a single Linux distribution like Debian. Puppy Linux is also not a Linux distribution with multiple flavours, like Ubuntu (with its variants of Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, etc) though it also comes in flavours.
Puppy Linux is a collection of multiple Linux distributions, built on the same shared principles, built using the same set of tools, built on top of a unique set of puppy specific applications and configurations and generally speaking provide consistent behaviours and features, no matter which flavours you choose.
There are generally three broad categories of Puppy Linux distributions:
official Puppy Linux distributions → maintained by Puppy Linux team, usually targeted for general purpose, and generally built using Puppy Linux system builder (called Woof-CE).
woof-built Puppy Linux distributions → developed to suit specific needs and appearances, also targeted for general purpose, and built using Puppy Linux system builder (called Woof-CE) with some additional or modified packages.
unofficial derivatives (“puplets”) → are usually remasters (or remasters of remasters), made and maintained by Puppy Linux enthusiasts, usually targeted for specific purposes.

Artfulpup by americanos is a more a derivative, intended for public. Why a translated version if not ? If you need help, you will be helped.. With americanos, you are always helped.. Culture is different, even if they use English to be understood.
wanderer

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 01:32    Post subject:  

here is a proposal thank you james c and mikslr

1. official woof-ce puppies use puppy development subforum
for development
official is determined by woof-ce team leader mick0
what does it matter what puppy is declared official
people will use and work on what they want to anyway

2. projects with a puppy base use puppy derivative subforum
this also includes other woof-ce puppies not declared official

3. projects without a puppy base use puppy projects subforum

4. a sticky thread in beginners (start here) subforum
will inform newbies what is going on and where to look for things

everyone will move and place their threads voluntarily
because they love puppy and the puppy community
and wish there to be peace and harmony in the kingdom of puppy

wanderer
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:04    Post subject: Re: difference between private and public  

hamoudoudou wrote:
Everybody will u[n]derstand the difference between private and public.. If Musher0 does not, (...)
His Puppies are private. You can look at them ( and admire)(...)

Beautiful twist there, hamoudoudou: first a slap in the face, and then
a compliment! Hats off!

Please feel free to have your own schizophrenic definition of any word!

This is what the "CanadaSpace" dictionary has to say about public
and private.

I'll meet you halfway: my Pups are private, but I like sharing them with
the general public! Laughing

And since any publicity is publicity, my Pups can be downloaded from
http://augras.eu/puppy_linux/?dir=musher0

Enjoy, everyone!

Last edited by musher0 on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:05; edited 1 time in total
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:05    Post subject: Kingdom of Puppy (UK)  

Kingdom of Puppy (UK) : If you consider downloads from Europe, goverment has to be From Europe
Looking for helpers for your private production or giving Help for Puppy Public LTS is a different world..
Musher0 only care about his private stuff, and would like everybody cares about it
USA team did bad choices.. because they don't care the rest of the world, jailed inside their border not to defend Australian Puppy, but to defend USA team
Vote for democracy, against technocracy, vote for me Shocked
We need a clergyman, a doctor, a car expert, not a crowd of technocrats fighting together for the golden medal

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:41; edited 2 times in total
musher0

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:22    Post subject:
Subject description: Tah-Dah, sad unmoderated Puppy world.

Anyway, I'm through wasting my time on suggestions that will never
be implemented, or in stolen form.

But always criticized by the same air-heads!!!

If anybody knows of a serious small distro that needs a scripter or
coder, or even just someone to push the broom and empty the trash
can in their office, please leave me a private message (private in the
usual English sense, not in hamoudoudou's sense). I'm sure I'll get
more respect there than here.

After all I have contributed here. But hey, one has to know when to let
go. I still love Puppy. But Puppyists, well, that depends; it's a case-by-
case judgment call.

Tah-Dah, sad unmoderated Puppy world.

anikin

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:40    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
I figured it was about time for another of these pointless threads.There is and has been a sub-forum for official releases for years located http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=42
The section was started way way back with 4.2 Deep Thought but for some reason people quit using it.

James C is a killjoy. In a short paragraph he (almost) ended this pointless, much ado about nothing discussion. However, his closing words but for some reason people quit using it get me thinking. Let's see what happens.

One little problem remains, though. My friend musher0 still desperately wants to have a forum of his own. a place that he can call home and have full control of - be a moderator, ban hamoudoudou and promote his crazy Francophone ideas. I wish, I could help him.
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 03:57    Post subject: Monday, May 28, 2018 Cara install puppy linux menggunakan Fl  

he has his forum, build by Augras, but nobody to ban ! No a caribou to kill, not a bear to sell the fur.. not a scalp..
tidak ada satupun beruang yang dikuliti
geen enkele beer voor de huid, geen Engelse hoofdhuid
our huron goes out of his reserve to chase the naive bison trapper's forum.

Last edited by hamoudoudou on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 04:55; edited 2 times in total
darry19662018

PostPosted: Mon 04 Jun 2018, 04:04    Post subject:  

Thanks Pelo another gem.
Page 5 of 6 [86 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
 Forum index » Taking the Puppy out for a walk » Misc
Jump to: