How do I unload LibreOffice SFS?

Using applications, configuring, problems
WIckedWitch

How do I unload LibreOffice SFS?

#1 Post by WIckedWitch »

On: HP Mini110-1110, Dual-core Intel Atom N270 @ 1.6GHz, 2GB RAM, 110GB SSD, tahrpup6.0.5:

Just downloaded the LibreOffice 4.4 SFS from ibiblio to see whether it runs acceptably. Used the SFS-on-the-fly loader to install it. I thought it would be slow but when I start any part of LO, I get the LO splash screen and htop shows CPU utilisation at over 95% in the LO process - at which point LO effectively hangs.

OK. It doesn't run satisfactorily. No problem ...

... but the SFS-on-the-fly loader now says that there's no SFS installed, so how do I unload it?
Sometimes I post mindfully, sometimes not mindfully, and sometimes both mindfully and not mindfully. It all depends on whether and when my mind goes walkies while I'm posting :?

8Geee

#2 Post by 8Geee »

First, look in /mnt/home. See if the sfs is there.
Then see where the desktop icons lead to.
You can also use pfind to look for libre.

These things will help find installed files.
Once the installed files have been found and removed
the sfs can be removed.

Maybe, just maybe, look in /root and view hidden files (the <o> icon). in (dot) .packages there may be a file list. No promise on that one.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

mikeslr

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi WIckedWitch,

Perhaps you should believe what SFS-Load is telling you. LibreOffice hasn't been loaded. But to double-check, run Menu>System>pprocess process manager and see if anything relating to LIbreOffice is running. If so, you can use pprocess to kill it.

Despite that Libreoffice may not have successfully loaded, it may have written files to /root/.config. Look for a folder there named .libreoffice. Note the dots --this are hidden files. Click Rox's Eye while at /root to see both .config and .libreoffice. You can safely delete the latter.

By the way, you might want to try running LibreOffice as an Program Folder. See, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 093#686093

Normally, I'd also suggest trying a 3 Series LibreOffice as each newer version became more of a resource hog. But I've read that the 6 series actually uses RAM more efficiently.

mikesLr

p.s. You also might want to try Mike Walsh's Softmaker FreeOffice, .http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 038#977038. Personally, I prefer to download that application directly from http://www.freeoffice.com/en/ and run it as a Program Folder. You would have to give them a email address to register it. But this is a reputable company which doesn't abuse that information. Rather, from time to time it offers you free fonts and suggest you update to the paid version.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

This is looking like a bad download of the LibreOffice sfs.

Tahrpup is a frugal install?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#5 Post by 8Geee »

I also have a compact, enUS/enUK version of FreeOffice-6.97 if you are looking to save space. Its compatible with doc and xls windows files. OpenOffice stuff unfortunately has to be saved as doc/xls first and then opened in FreeOffice. And its not compatible with docx and xlsx. But its here if you want something small and rather easy.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ WickedWitch:-

Normally, I'd agree with Mike about the 3-series LibreOffice. I use 3.5.3 extensively throughout the 5-series Pups section of my kennels. However, I did find that from Tahrpup onwards, the 3-series LO just wouldn't run; complained about all sorts of missing stuff, and ended up crapping-out with a segmentation fault.

The oldest one I found would run in Tahr was LO 4.2.

If you want a fairly simple-to-use, lightweight office suite, SoftMaker's FreeOffice takes some beating.....although you only get three apps; word processor, spreadsheet, and presentations/slide-show. No database stuff, I'm afraid.

Mike. :wink:

bigpup

#7 Post by bigpup »

WIckedWitch has left the building :roll:
YaPI(any iso installer)

WIckedWitch

#8 Post by WIckedWitch »

bigpup wrote:WIckedWitch has left the building :roll:
No, but she did get a bit lost in forum navigation for a while.

Thanks to all. I'll follow up and report back. :-)

### Later edit ###:

Full tahrpup install, I can't find the sfs anywhere but have found fragments in /root/.config. No LO processes seem to be running. I think I can figure out how to clear away the remnants from here on. It was just a case of being told where to look.

As regards a replacement, I'm quite happy with Abiword and Gnumeric because you can do presentations perfectly adequately in Abi. And if I want database stuff, I use Tcl/SQLite anyway. I do any mathematical typesetting on a different system anyway, so not need for LO Math.

Reiterated thanks to everyone for very helpful suggestions. It's much appreciated.
Sometimes I post mindfully, sometimes not mindfully, and sometimes both mindfully and not mindfully. It all depends on whether and when my mind goes walkies while I'm posting :?

bigpup

#9 Post by bigpup »

Full tahrpup install,
I do not think it got fully 100% perfected to do installs of SFS's in full installs.
SFS's do not load, but install to full installs of Puppy.
They never have worked 100% when I tried one in a full install.
They were designed to load and unload to a frugal Puppy install.
Being able to use them in a full Puppy install was/is a little buggy.

There is a chance it could be listed in the Puppy Package Manager>Uninstall :idea:
YaPI(any iso installer)