Bodhi Linux Forum shut down due GDPR

#1 Post by backi »

Hi !
Bodhi Linux shut down Distribution`s Forum due GDPR :
https://www.bodhilinux.com/2018/06/03/f ... e-to-gdpr/
https://www.eugdpr.org/

See also Distrowatch :
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180604#news

I am no Expert ....what are the Consequences ......could PuppyLinux Forum also be affected ?
Last edited by backi on Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:04, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

Re: Bodhi Linux shut down Distribution`s Forum due GDPR

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

backi wrote:Hi !
Bodhi Linux shut down Distribution`s Forum due GDPR :
https://www.bodhilinux.com/2018/06/03/f ... e-to-gdpr/
https://www.eugdpr.org/

See also Distrowatch :
https://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20180604#news

I am no Expert ....what are the Consequences ......could PuppyLinux Forum also be affected ?
I don't think you need to worry too much, backi.

As I understand it, the two most important points for any organisation to be aware of are these:-

1) That the organisation must make it crystal-clear to the individual that they are asking for his/her/their permission/consent to process any data the individual may give them. I think they also have to make clear to the individual exactly what the data will be used for.....in other words, no organisation will be allowed to hide behind legal 'jargon' any longer; everything must be clear, plain, and above all, transparent.

2) If any of the data provided to that organisation by individuals should be the subject of a 'breach', those individuals must be contacted and informed as soon as is humanly possible.

Two other points are that if you want your data deleted, there must be no 'fudging'; in other words, if they inform you your data will be deleted at your request, they will not be allowed to hang on to it or sell it on. It will be deleted. Period.

Also, if you want to access your own data, you should be provided with an easy, simple way to do so.....at your convenience.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TBH, it's long overdue. The global Data Regulations that came into being around the start of the Millennium were getting to be in serious need of an overhaul, since too many individuals have been interpreting them in a way to suit themselves. These new regs are attempting to leave very little 'wiggle room'.....even for the lawyers.

As for the Puppy Forums; I don't honestly know. But I'd be very surprised if any other forums take the extreme approach demonstrated by Jeff Hoogland.

The trouble with the US, I find, is that libel, suing, etc, have become such an everyday part of daily life over there, you can be bankrupted just for looking at somebody the wrong way.....and many Americans seem to be shit-scared of putting a foot out of line, in case somebody tries to 'take them to the cleaners.'

I think Master Hoogland is taking the 'better safe than sorry' approach.....regardless of how many people it annoys. He is putting the welfare of his family ahead of everything else. From his point of view, it makes sense.....but it does give out some rather confusing signals.

If you wanted to make 100% certain that none of this would ever apply - to anyone at all - there's only one possible course of action. Pull the plug, and shut down the internet. Then nobody would have to worry, and the GDPR would be redundant.

And then again, pigs might fly.....

Mike. :wink:
Last edited by Mike Walsh on Mon 04 Jun 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

nosystemdthanks

Re: Bodhi Linux shut down Distribution`s Forum due GDPR

#3 Post by nosystemdthanks »

Mike Walsh wrote: The trouble with the US, I find, is that libel, suing, etc, have become such an everyday part of daily life over there, you can be bankrupted just for looking at somebody the wrong way.....and many Americans seem to be shit-scared of putting a foot out of line, in case somebody tries to 'take them to the cleaners.'
actually the libel laws are very relaxed compared to europe. its not something people worry about much at all-- bruce perens just got sued, which is VERY unusual, and hes winning and fighting to get his fees won back in addition. the social justice witchhunts are troubling and the political correctness has reached almost "moral police"-like levels in terms of strictness (though the penalties are smaller. instead of physical violence its mostly about ending peoples careers.)

so the worst thing (for now) is sort of like "moral police" like judgment with huac-like penalties. if you make the wrong comment and are also doing very well for yourself, you could spend the rest of your life doing comedy in europe.

its also a great way to lose your college loan investment. i wouldnt recommend any american university to anybody at this point. the level of corruption and pandering has gone from insane to surreal. even if i want the economy to survive and the media companies to stop destroying the nation as well as the world, the universities wont get better until the provosts and presidents are all looking for new jobs.

WITH THAT SAID--

nothing ive read about gdpr seems like cause for concern. it sounds like a law written just to put a dent in the damage facebook is doing-- and i doubt it will affect them very much. google, the same. microsoft and apple, the same.

everyone else, its probably a bit of a nuisance. im very much in favour of laws that protect consumers from large corporations. the problem is, i suspect its a lot like installing anti-virus after you get ransomware.

i mean writing laws that rein in corporations is really hard to do. the best medicine for dealing with corporate power grabs is prevention. treatment is better than nothing, but its probably always going to fall short in both idealistic and even practical terms.

im not excited or worried about gdpr. if we are lucky, its better than nothing. i am very confused why a forum was shut down over it-- i get that it was voluntary-- i shut down a forum just because tapatalk got involved. but this story doesnt make a lot of sense to me, it probably will eventually.

rufwoof

#4 Post by rufwoof »

The EU is just a part of Europe, after the UK's 4 countries leave the EU the EU will make up 27 of the 50 countries and 440 million of the 750 million population of Europe. So just a bit over half of Europe. Many EU member 'states' are relatively small, for instance the UK's 4 countries collectively compare in terms of population numbers to 15 EU member countries.

One option might be to simply exclude sign up (or continued membership) by EU citizens. Rather than the complexities/time involved with policing that a simple addition to a boards/site Terms and Conditions stating to the effect that membership is prohibited to EU citizens and that by clicking "I confirm" that you are declaring you are not a citizen of the EU.

In the event of any challenge ... then the site/board could simply declare that its services expressly excluded EU citizens and accordingly EU rules such as GDPR did not apply.

It's just part of globalisation having past its peak. For instance US citizens are generally excluded from opening bank/betting accounts in the UK due to US compliance laws. Whilst they can still visit such web sites, a tick box of some kind is commonly included to state that you are not a US citizen if you seek to open a (or continue using an existing) account.

The most intensive part might be to set up a lock out of existing members until they've confirmed they are eligible for continued membership. Login restricted until you've ticked a box stating that you are not a EU citizen.

backi

#5 Post by backi »

Hi rufwoof !

Pleased to meet you (again).....hope you guess my Name....huh....huuh... hu ....huuuuhhhhh..

Another Question ........did "they" not ban you a while ago from the Forum ?
Did not follow the case further .
What ever you supposedly did ......(can`t imagine you went over the Top )...
don`t find this a good politics (expressed mildly) to excommunicate an earned member so rude...
But obviously .......you are back again ......Pleased to meet you ...don`t look
back .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3o4Fgh0KW_4

Regards !

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Backi, I banned you because you posted the same thing in about 4 places in the forum. That's spamming. But welcome back. :)

backi

#7 Post by backi »

Hi Flash !
Sorry for that .......to my excuse .....was not aware i did something wrong .Was not sure where to place it correctly..-...so i thought to myself ..."better save than sorry " ....so i did it .Why did`nt you just give me a Warning ?
Left me quite confused . :? :?

Regards :) :) :)

fredx181

#8 Post by fredx181 »

Flash wrote:Backi, I banned you because you posted the same thing in about 4 places in the forum. That's spamming. But welcome back. :)
Hi Flash, can you perhaps ban me too ? (but just for a little while, not too long please !!!)
Just want to know how it feels (and maybe have some rest from my addiction constantly looking for new posts and feeling the urge to reply...).

Mmm... probably need to do something bad first, maybe just kidding you will do ? :lol:

Fred

Burn_IT

#9 Post by Burn_IT »

Sarcasm might work???
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

backi

#10 Post by backi »

Hi Fred !
Just want to know how it feels (and maybe have some rest from my addiction constantly looking for new posts and feeling the urge to reply...).
Can tell you how it feels.....It`s maybe some kind of Purgatory....a Catharsis.....like an Exorcism from a demonic Possession...comparable to emotional, spiritual ,transcendental Release when getting Absolution from a Priest ......quite addictive !Be careful what you wish......

Just kidding.....of course :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

fredx181

#11 Post by fredx181 »

backi wrote:Hi Fred !
Can tell you how it feels.....It`s maybe some kind of Purgatory....a Catharsis.....like an Exorcism from a demonic Possession...comparable to emotional, spiritual ,transcendental Release when getting Absolution from a Priest ......quite addictive !Be careful what you wish......
Mmm.. I'm not ready for that yet, I pass this time, maybe later...

backi

#12 Post by backi »

Yes Fred..... a wise Decision..... better save it for a rainy Day .