BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
stemsee

#281 Post by stemsee »

I misread the properties; dhcpcd an dhcpcd5 were both in the conflicts section!

anikin

#282 Post by anikin »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have given this some thought and decided the following: the most fail-safe way to run a gtkdialog app in a non-bash environment is to entirely remove the bashisms, not create an alternate method of running those bashisms.

To that end, I am posting a non-bash version of PeasyGlue for anikin to test.

This version runs with dash (and bash). Am I happy? Yes and no. I got what I wanted - peasyglue runs on my pure Debian Live system. Unhappy, because of the misunderstanding between you and wiak. Having pushed both of you, I now have a guilty feeling. I'm sure "fail-safe" wasn't meant as an insult. "Optimal" would have been a better choice, though, me thinks. I can't imagine either of you guys insulting others. My simplistic instinct is that the work can be continued in parallel and phases. At the end of the day, the community, Debian and Linux will benefit from the work of both of you.
Attachments
out.jpg
(35.18 KiB) Downloaded 977 times

rcrsn51

#283 Post by rcrsn51 »

@anikin: Glad to hear that it worked for you.

I just borrowed some ideas from zigbert and (I think) step on how to handle the exported functions.

You get the improved performance that comes with dash because those functions don't have to run in bash.

wiak

#284 Post by wiak »

For a simple program performance difference of dash/gtkdialog capable program is probably negligible and will only apply to systems that don't use bash as /bin/sh underneath (such indeed as Debian/Ubuntu pristine). Legacy gtkdialog forces the use of the underlying system shell for every aspect of its command processing, which is certainly going to be inefficient on Puppys and Dogs, which both use bash as system shell, as they stand currently. However, as long as you are happy, the world is surely a happier place.

EDIT: Just took a look. Calling up a separate function file every time function is called is certainly a slow.......... technique when disc I/O accesses are always required unless that is you are storing the functions file in RAM based tmp, which is the method I advocated (I haven't noticed).

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 319#994319

Anyway, thought you might appreciate my negative criticism in response to your lack of 'interest' and denigration of better methods. Case of misleading advertising I'd say, but each to their own right enough.

Your original program was better organised though, and the converted version I sent you would have done the job perfectly well were it not that you had a fako 'point' to make. eek...

rcrsn51

#285 Post by rcrsn51 »

irishrm wrote:As I said I can manage fine without it ...
This is the same situation that occurs in Puppy with the Broadcom wl driver - you have to compile it separately for your specific platform. That requires setting up a devx environment.

Fred has posted a devx for BionicDog. When I have some time, I can do this, but I would need to know exactly what kernel version you are using.

Code: Select all

uname -r
Puppy has a clever work-around for this situation - you can do a kernel-switch and use a pre-existing driver package. That's not always so easy in the Dogs.

rcrsn51

#286 Post by rcrsn51 »

wiak wrote:EDIT: Just took a look. Calling up a separate function file every time function is called is certainly a slow.......... technique when disc I/O accesses are always required
That's true, if you don't want to rely on disk/file caching.
unless that is you are storing the functions file in RAM based tmp, which is the method I advocated
Good idea. That was easy to implement. Thanks for the tip.

wiak

#287 Post by wiak »

oh wow, you are so cool today rcrsn51, you almost make me laugh! ;-)

stemsee

#288 Post by stemsee »

Irishrm
rcrsn51 wrote: Puppy has a clever work-around for this situation - you can do a kernel-switch and use a pre-existing driver package. That's not always so easy in the Dogs.
I compiled a 4.16.13 kernel on fatdog64.... I coppied the kernel-modules.sfs to /casper/modules/kernel-modules.squashfs and the kernel to ../casper or boot drive partition and i's working fine. For the wl.ko module fatdog kernel 4.12.x has the wl.ko kernel for your broadcom card, i have the same card. It should work fine. I have tried several times to compile the wl.ko module for the latest kernels, without success.

stemsee

irishrm

#289 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51 no pressure. If you find the time that would be great,
The kernel is 4.15.0-15-generic.

stemsee: I'm afraid compiling is a bit beyond me. If I had access to the kernel you compiled I might be able to stick it in the correct place.

Again no pressure.
thanks.
irishrm

rcrsn51

#290 Post by rcrsn51 »

stemsee wrote:For the wl.ko module fatdog kernel 4.12.x has the wl.ko kernel for your broadcom card,
I set up BionicDog64 and swapped in the Fatdog kernel k4.12.10. This works.

Are you saying that the wl.ko module should be included? I don't see it. Or is it somewhere in the repo?

stemsee

#291 Post by stemsee »

It's in the main sfs /usr/share/broadcom/wl.ko and is loaded with insmod becasue it is out of tree, but i place it in lib/modules/kernel/network/wireless/wl.ko and then run depmod, and it loads normally with system.

EDIT: The latest iso has kernel 4.14.12 with wl.ko, it's too big to upload here.

stemsee

#292 Post by stemsee »

Typically one should use dkms to compile the wl module on Debian/Ubuntu systems. This way automatically updates the module when newer kernels are added .... not tried myself!

fredx181

#293 Post by fredx181 »

I think it's the bcmwl-kernel-source package that needs installed, can't test right now.

apt-get install linux-headers-generic bcmwl-kernel-source
(or load the devx and install bcmwl-kernel-source)

Fred

rcrsn51

#294 Post by rcrsn51 »

@stemsee: I found it, thanks.

@fred: This gets a bit tricky because linux-headers-generic points to k4.15.0-22-generic and irishrm is still using the older BionicDog with k4.15.0-15-generic.

rcrsn51

#295 Post by rcrsn51 »

@fred: Very nice! It even sets up the blacklisting of b43, etc.

apt-get update #if needed
apt-get install linux-headers-generic
apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
reboot
@irishrm: You can do this yourself, but you would first need an upgrade to the latest BionicDog 2018-06-04.

Make sure that your save folder has lots of space.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 05:41, edited 1 time in total.

B.K. Johnson

#296 Post by B.K. Johnson »

@ITSMERSH

I don't wish to hijack this thread, but your mention of the Samsung N150 netbook makes me ask whether you are able to control the screen brightness of the netbook when working from battery only. If yes, I'll open a new thread where you can elaborate.
TIA
[color=blue]B.K. Johnson
tahrpup-6.0.5 PAE (upgraded from 6.0 =>6.0.2=>6.0.3=>6.0.5 via quickpet/PPM=Not installed); slacko-5.7 occasionally. Frugal install, pupsave file, multi OS flashdrive, FAT32 , SYSLINUX boot, CPU-Dual E2140, 4GB RAM[/color]

fredx181

#297 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:@fred: Very nice! It even sets up the blacklisting of b43, etc.

apt-get update #if needed
apt-get install linux-headers-generic
apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
reboot
Yes, tested now, that works nicely but indeed takes a lot of space.
@irishrm: You can do this yourself, but you would first need an upgrade to the latest BionicDog 2018-06-04.
Not if you load the devx for the older Bionicdog version: 61-DEVX-BionicDog64_2018-04-21_amd64.squashfs, download here:
https://github.com/fredx181/bionicdog/releases/tag/v1.1
Then after loading, install bcmwl-kernel-source (I tested and it works)

EDIT: I'll try making some .deb packages for it, back later.

Fred

irishrm

#298 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51, fredx181 thanks for your work on this.
I already have two installs of the older kernel up and running with a wifi dongle.
I am going to have a go at both your suggestions. I may learn something.
However with my limited experience if a .deb package was available it would be great.
Will report on progress in time.
irishrm.

fredx181

#299 Post by fredx181 »

Here are (unoffical) .deb packages for the wl module for testng.
(I could only test if wl is loaded at reboot after install, and it does,, but not if it actually works for wireless).

For older BionicDog 2018-04-21 (@irishrm, I think I read that you're on 64-bit, so then you'll need the amd64 .deb) :
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... _amd64.deb
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... 5_i386.deb

For Bionicdog 2018-06-04:
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... _amd64.deb
https://fredx181.github.io/bionicdog/No ... 2_i386.deb

EDIT: After installing, reboot (safest) with changes saved or try:

modprobe -r b43 bcma
modprobe wl
Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:28, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#300 Post by rcrsn51 »

fredx181 wrote:EDIT: After installing, reboot with changes saved or do:

modprobe wl
Rebooting is safest, because it activates the blacklisting. Otherwise, you need to do something like

modprobe -r b43 bcma
modprobe wl
@Fred: Where is the DEBIAN folder hiding in these debs? It looks like "depmod -a" is being run, but I don't see how.