Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 15 Nov 2018, 18:45
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Weird forum behaviour ...
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
WIckedWitch

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:39    Post subject:  Weird forum behaviour ...
Subject description: WTF?

Currently I'm using the forum from my father's house in London. He doesn't have broadband but the neighbours have a wireless router and subscribe, as do I, to the btinternet FON scheme. Under this scheme you agree to let other subscribers use your spare wireless bandwidth in exchange for being able to use the same facility yourself if you are away from home.

The drill is that when you start a browser, you are redirected to the BT WIfi
with FON login page, where you enter your BT user id and password. That gets you connected to the internet. But on most occasions when I try and post to the forum when logged via a FON connection, the forum appears to log me out and shows the logon screen again.

This behaviour comes and goes and I am at a loss to explain it. It happens under Palemoon, SeaMonkey and Opera and I'm running tahrpup 6.0.5 on an HP Mini 110 with dual-core Atom N270, 2GB RAM and 110 GB SSD.

Never before encountered any behaviour like this on any system I've ever used. Anyone got any ideas what might be happening?

rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 12:47    Post subject:  

Maybe because BT recognizes that the forum is an insecure site and refuses to allow the password exchange.
bigpup

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 13:25    Post subject:  

I have to ask.
Sure the forum password is being entered correctly?

What you describe is when I do not enter password correctly.

That caps lock key Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Idea

nosystemdthanks

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 14:02    Post subject:  

i honestly read the title and thought it was about the people on the forum, but thats the norm here.

rcrsn51 wrote:
Maybe because BT recognizes that the forum is an insecure site and refuses to allow the password exchange.

easy theory to test if there is another http-only site using passwords she can try.

i can only guess this is about http and/or cookies. i was going to say that before. also maybe the ip changes at some point and the forum logs out (though this is probably about cookies, as the ip change might not do anything at all-- and why would it change?)

if you can use a proxy with https that allows cookies-- hideproxy for example-- fiddling with that might act as a tunnel.

but since you said this is not happening all the time, hideproxy itself wont help. after a while it will stop proxying and youll have to start over, just like with the situation you have now.

a proxy that does https with a longer timeout might help. tor might help, though if you use tor i would change your password when you get home. it could possibly get stolen over tor if its for a site like this that doesnt do https.

just throwing ideas around. one of the largest providers in the states has a similar scheme, but i dont use it.

bigpup wrote:
What you describe is when I do not enter password correctly.

i read the post as being she can login but it logs out after a short while.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 17:28    Post subject:  

Another possibility is that Wicked is taking so long between accesses to the forum that it's timing her out. I think the forum is set to log you out if it doesn't hear from you in 2 hours.
Mike Walsh

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun 2018, 19:56    Post subject:  

I'll agree with Flash's assertion about the 'time-out' period for the Forum's log-in.

In the early days of my Forum use, if I shut-down from one Puppy and then booted back again, with the same or a different Puppy, within half an hour to an hour, I was still logged-in.

If I suspended the desktop, or shut down because I was going to be out for a few hours, upon returning I would need to log back in again.

Nowadays, it's a moot point, at least for me. I use LastPass, and have it set to log me in automatically to my most frequently visited sites. Regardless of how long I'm in, out, or otherwise, upon returning to the site, within 2-3 seconds I'm logged in again.....

Perhaps using a password manager would solve the problem here, too? Just a thought...

Mike. Wink

Page 1 of 1 [6 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Users ( For the regulars )
Jump to: