Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 19 Sep 2018, 10:43
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Tahrpup 6.0.6 with the 4.1.30 Kernel & updated apps
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 3 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
fishmanluvslinux

PostPosted: Sat 02 Jun 2018, 00:38    Post subject: Running Tahrpup 6.0.6  

Howdy Yall! I am running this puppy flavor and I am having zero issues so far.
I will give yall the machine specs in a sec. I did a frugal install, as I always do. This machine is 16 years old and very underpowered. I will keep yall up-to-date on how this machine handles this puppy.

Toshiba Satellite Pro 6100 Laptop. Circa 2002.
CPU: Intel Pentium 4-M @ 1.80 Ghz
RAM: 1024 PC2100 DDR @ 266 Mhz
Graphics: AGP NVidia GeForce 420 Go-16 Mb.
Display: LED 15" 24-bit

I hope that this will be an experience that will give me hope for this machine.
This machine is purely a work machine. Not for entertainment. Thank you all for your hard work. Laughing
hamoudoudou

PostPosted: Fri 08 Jun 2018, 18:33    Post subject: expert needed  

pup-r01 and pupsave...
Big discussion with french forum
tey deny that it is possible to get this (screenshot)
id est pupsave is under pup_r01
Coud a ViP could explain them, even in English
debate Jump to francophones
hamoudoudou wrote:
non, le pupsave est monté en pup_r01.. c'est facile à voir. Tu l'ouvres.

pup_r01 n'existe pas.
Code:
[/initrd]>ls pup_r01
ls: cannot access 'pup_r01': No such file or directory
pup_rO1 non plus.
Code:
[/initrd]>ls pup_rO1
ls: cannot access 'pup_rO1': No such file or directory

Filesize   58.39 KB
 Viewed   333 Time(s)

606.jpg

mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 19 Aug 2018, 20:28    Post subject: Changing Kernels -- Meltdown & Spectres concerns  

Hi All,

My intention at the time I published Tahrpup was to present a Tahrpup with updated applications using Kernel 4.1.30 as there were reports that kernel was more responsive when used in Xenialpup than the stock 4.9.xx kernel. Although the potential of Meltdown and Spectre exploits were known at that time, as yet there were no patches for kernels in the range of Tahrpup's original 3.14 kernel or the 4.1.30 kernel. I indicated when such patched kernels became available I might publish Tahrpup with one.

Well, I lied. Embarassed Or –more generously to myself-- I've reconsidered the wisdom of doing that. Idea Frankly, for those who use tahrpup and have installed their favorite applications and configured applications it makes more sense just to “swap kernels”.

Swapping kernels will take about 5 minutes, far less than having to start from scratch. You'll find instructions here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1002488#1002488.* Just change where it refers to the huge-4.18.3-lxpup64.tar.bz2 to whichever kernel package you decide on, and where it refers to zdrv_upupbb_xxx.sfs substitute zdrv_tahr_6.0.6.sfs.

And for those (probably few) who decide to give tahrpup_6.0.6 a spin, you're no worse off than those who've gone before: Download the tahrpup_6.0.6 with kernel 4.1.30 kernel ISO, the hugh kernel of your choice and make the swap.

The other reason is that publishing another ISO is counter-indicated: 'one size doesn't fit all.' What works well on one computer may not be appropriate for another. A lot may depend on what CPU your computer uses, and how much RAM it has.

The following should be considered possible substitutes rather than recommendations. All have been patched against Meltdown and Spectre, but newer, more complete, patches are still being developed. And if you are running a different Puppy on your computer whose kernel provides acceptable performance, you can easily swap in its vmlinuz and zdrv.sfs, renaming the latter appropriately. See instructions linked to.

[Alternative: If, while reading about a different Puppy you think its kernel appropriate for you computer, you can download the ISO, mount it and 'flinch' its vmlinuz and zdrv. Keep in mind, however, that lxPups package firmware separately as firmware is not kernel-dependent. You can get it here, https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxpup/files/Other/huge-kernels/. It would have to be renamed fdrv_tahrpup_6.0.6.sfs and placed in tahrpup's folder].

Sailor Enceladus' Kernel 3.18.84: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZBaL57ZXI4Tf4inPoYHOoxDf3NVtJEhf2w7. This is a kernel close to that originally used in Tahrpup.

Rockedge's 4.17.0 nopae Kernel from the link here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=999603#999603, Note, this is a 'nopae' kernel appropriate for those computers which actually require 'nopae' kernels. You know who you are.

Pae is an instruction set enabling a 32-bit system to access more than "4" Gbs of RAM (actually about 3.9 Gbs). As far back as the Pentium-Ms, some computers had the instruction set, but it was turned off by default: It works CPU a little harder and manufacturers of computers that old figured you didn't have more than 4 Gbs of RAM so why waste the resources you do have. To turn it on, add forcepae to your boot arguments: e.g.

kernel /Tahrpup/vmlinuz pmedia=ataflash psubdir=Tahrpup forcepae pfix=fsck

Peebee's 4.18.3 64-bit Kernel from the link here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=1002475#1002475. Currently it is the latest kernel package. Although Tahrpup is a 32-bit system peebee's 64-bit kernel can be used in both 64-bit systems and 32-bit systems. [Kernels built exclusively for 32-bit systems can not be used in 64-bit systems]. My layman's understanding: A code at the machine level on a 64-bit system is 64 bits long. instructions consist of one 32-bit word joined to a 2nd 32-bit word. 64-bit systems read this as one word. A 32-bit system can't read the 2nd-half of that word and ignores the second half.

Personally, I like how Sailor Enceladus' Kernel 4.4.131 --link from here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=991109&sid=c48e1a7ab650fa9656698bbb131622f1#991109 -- works on my desktop which has 8 Gbs of RAM. It recognizes all the available RAM.

Or do nothing. Kernels with patches against Meltdown and Spectres are reputed to result in some degradation of performance. And, as I understand it, they are only potentially effective under 64-bit kernels. I've emphasized potentially as they were discovered while searching for flaws, not responding to their actual deployment.

mikesLr

* But see Marv's additional instruction on the post following it. I didn't know that much. Embarassed On the other hand, I've never had a problem at least that I know of. Maybe I've been lucky. Smile Or maybe Marv's being excessively cautious. Cool
roadkill13

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2018, 18:40    Post subject:  

Installed to my Dell Optiplex 745 Ultra Small Form Factor desktop. Updated with Peebee's 4.18.5-lxpupx86_64 kernel that I found following the link provided in the post immediately above this one.

Quote:
sh-4.3# inxi -F
System: Host: puppypc5890 Kernel: 4.18.5-lxpup64 x86_64 (64 bit)
Desktop: JWM 2.3.6 Distro: tahrpup 6.0.6
Machine: Device: laptop System: Dell product: OptiPlex 745 serial: JR9TYD1
Mobo: Dell model: 0GW726 serial: ..CN6986179L0353.
BIOS: Dell v: 2.6.6 date: 06/26/2011
CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium Dual E2180 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
clock speeds: max: 2000 MHz 1: 203 MHz 2: 45 MHz
Graphics: Card: Intel 82Q963/Q965 Integrated Graphics Controller
Display Server: X.org 1.15.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: modesetting,fbdev,vesa)
tty size: 80x24 Advanced Data: N/A for root
Audio: Card Intel 82801H (ICH8 Family) HD Audio Controller
driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.18.5-lxpup64
Network: Card: Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5754 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express
driver: tg3
IF: eth0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full
mac: 00:1a:a0:6c:73:4b
Drives: HDD Total Size: 500.1GB (1.1% used)
ID-1: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD5000AAKX size: 500.1GB
RAID: No RAID devices: /proc/mdstat, md_mod kernel module present
Sensors: None detected - is lm-sensors installed and configured?
Info: Processes: 117 Uptime: 8 min Memory: 318.3/3872.7MB
Client: Shell (sh) inxi: 2.3.8

Very crisp and fast. I added OscarTalks rendition of the latest Slimjet 32 bit browser which can handle Netflix. Everything appears to be working quite well at the moment.

Thank you for this spin of Tahrpup.
Page 3 of 3 [34 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: