Remastering doesn't work in 525 or 528

Using applications, configuring, problems
jonrpick

#21 Post by jonrpick »

Wow... this all continues to improve. I'm very happy with the system at this point, and think remastering is the solution to all of my problems.

I plan to run a *very* small save file, and don't plan on saving much after the initial setup. This will also have the benefit of killing Chrome/Chromium's only truly annoying feature, which is browsing history, whether you want it or not.

My last big problem with remastering: My extra .sfs files (LibreOffice, Java, VLC) are not being included in the remaster. They are in the /mnt/home folder, along with the save file, and they are currently "loaded", so I don't know why they're not being added into the newly remastered file.

Ideas?

Edit/Update: I was loading VLC and Java as SFS files. I decided to install the Pets instead, so the only SFS file I have outside of the main file is LibreOffice. Though, I do want to remaster with it being part of the main file. I prefer the added speed of loading it during boot. Plus, of the 3 computers I'll use this on, one has 3GB of RAM, the other two have 4GB, so I won't be running out of memory any time soon... ;-)

Karl Godt

#22 Post by Karl Godt »

for each sfs loaded at boot there should be an /initrd/pup_roN directory .

in case pupmode 13
pup_ro1 save file
pup_ro2 main sfs
pup_ro3 devx perhaps
pup_ro4 libre office perhaps

You would need to cp them everyone inito the build directory .
I am not really clear over which should be first and which should be last .
And if the removal of the hidden .wh. files would be necessary in the build dir .

I once made an attempt to remaster main.sfs with an astronomical pet of mine of around 20MB and the devx to boot on 1GB , and caught a kernel panic then .
I am not sure if this had been related due to little ram , some .wh. files-dirs , not cp the needed sfs in the right order or using wrong cp syntax that time .
One thing to watch out : /bin/busybox has to be intact .

jonrpick

#23 Post by jonrpick »

I'll just double-check which one is mounted when I get home. I don't have Devx loaded, so it'd probably be r03...

leotan

#24 Post by leotan »

I'm late but this was caused by a bug in remasterpup versions 2 & 3.
There's a botched regex in the handling of the VIRTUALCD variable.
To fix it, replace where it says:

Code: Select all

sed -e 's/on[ ].*+//'	
with this:

Code: Select all

sed -e 's/on [ ]*//'	
(mind the blanks).

hamoudoudou

it has to be done with files included in pupsave

#25 Post by hamoudoudou »

Remastering does not work for other puppies too 2018 because it cannot be done on pup_rw a scheduled in scripts, it has to be done with files included in pupsave