Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 21 Sep 2018, 10:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
EasyOS Pyro 0.9.6 (August 22), Beaver 0.9.3 (Sept. 19), 2018
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 57 of 68 [1006 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 16:46    Post subject: tor-browser  

rufwoof and Barry,

Well done, I followed all that you did and it worked for me too.

There is no tor-browser entry in Menu so my impression as
non-technical is that it's "sort of" in a container sh0 and at the
same time not quite in a container.
I can't explain this situation in words, but as the only way
to launch is via a terminal - it's clumsy at best and not
totally satisfactory.
Not at all as I want it to be, right INSIDE a container
and shown in Menu as such, but thank you anyway for all you
have done.
As said the only true way is to download from Package Manager
and do this properly, but whether Barry can arrange to put
tor-browser in PPM is in the lap of the gods.
Best regards.
Cu Chulinux

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 17:35    Post subject:  

mc will not reliably run in the sh0 container. I installed the pet in the container and mc runs, then the terminal window dies as soon as I try to do anything other than change directory. Or alternately the terminal dies as soon as mc is run.

It runs fine non-containered.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 18:50    Post subject: Re: tor-browser  

Rodney Byne wrote:
There is no tor-browser entry in Menu so my impression as
non-technical is that it's "sort of" in a container sh0 and at the
same time not quite in a container.
I can't explain this situation in words, but as the only way
to launch is via a terminal - it's clumsy at best and not
totally satisfactory.
Not at all as I want it to be, right INSIDE a container
and shown in Menu as such, but thank you anyway for all you
have done.

Great that you've got it working Rodney.

Next stage then, open rox filer and navigate to /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/.session (you'll have to click the rox eye icon to show hidden files such as .session). Edit the ec-run file and locate the ARGS='' value (7th line up from the bottom) and change it to look like
Code:
ARGS='-c /usr/bin/tor-browser'
Save the file and now when you click the 'console' icon at the top/middle of screen, or use the menu, utility, urxvt in container sh0 ... option, you should see a console window open and then a little while latter the tor browser inside the container should start.

After that you could rebadge the desktop icon and name to use a tor icon and name .. and adjust the menu (desktop file) so it shows as a tor browser menu option - but that's more (relatively simple) editing so for now just see if you can get the above working.

A inconvenience is that if you close the terminal window, then the browser would also close as its a child process of that terminal. Also the terminal can't be used as its running the tor browser (perhaps the ARGS value could have a & command appended on the end to put the tor-browser running in the background so commands could be entered into the terminal window - I haven't tried that myself.)

EDIT - just tried adding the & ... doesn't work, container starts up and immediately exits/closes.

Also - don't forget that if you download any files, then in the main session to see those files you'll have to navigate rox to something like /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/.session/root/Downloads. I like to use rox bookmarks (usually the third from left menu icon at the top of a rox filer window) to bookmark the /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/.session/ folder which in effect opens the / (root) folder of the container.

Last edited by rufwoof on Mon 11 Jun 2018, 10:01; edited 1 time in total
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 19:17    Post subject: Re: tor-browser  

Rodney Byne wrote:
As said the only true way is to download from Package Manager and do this properly, but whether Barry can arrange to put tor-browser in PPM is in the lap of the gods.

Early days for that sort of thing yet Rodney. Easy Pyro is pretty much all locally (Barry) compiled, and even if a sfs were available it would only get loaded into the main session - and not being part of the main q.sfs, but a sfs loaded on top of that, it wouldn't be 'seen' inside containers. A tor browser inside a container sfs would need to be built differently (different paths/icons/desktop file content etc.) I believe.

What might arise as Easy moves out of beta is perhaps a general provision of sfs's that add a ready to go container for a particular program such as a tor browser inside a container. All part of the story yet to be written/told. And things could all change i.e. Barry might decide on alternative implementations of containers that could invalidate any sfs's created up to that point.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 19:25    Post subject:  

Cu Chulinux wrote:
mc will not reliably run in the sh0 container. I installed the pet in the container and mc runs, then the terminal window dies as soon as I try to do anything other than change directory. Or alternately the terminal dies as soon as mc is run.

It runs fine non-containered.

Sounds like mc that runs script type actions when you click things (other than changing directory etc.) perhaps is looking at the wrong paths when it spawns such actions. i.e. probably needs some configuration changes work to get it working properly in a container environment.

Only ever used mc lightly myself. I either use command line (ssh, scp ...etc.) when I access remote boxes, or activate X forwarding and use sshfs to remote mount and use a conventional file manager ... as thought the remote box was just another folder/directory - whenever I want to have dual panes to compare or move multiple files around.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 20:10    Post subject:  

Personally I find standard puppy to be too bloated for me. All of the gui configuration tools to change things and dynamically update as programs are added/removed - I just don't need and more often they prevent how I like to have things set up.

I instead prefer a simple single .jwmrc file and have a bit of XML format (similar to HTML) understanding to edit that. That way I can arrange the menu exactly as I like and use that single file to define startup programs, window buttons (min, max, close etc.), along with also including some script type actions (rather than having scripts in a ~/bin folder or wherever). All self contained so-to-speak.

For instance a couple of my startup programs are osmo and numlockx so part of .jwmrc contains ...
Code:
<StartupCommand>numlockx</StartupCommand>
<StartupCommand>osmo</StartupCommand>

(amongst others), so no startup folder or whatever.
For window buttons
Code:
<ButtonClose>red.png</ButtonClose>
   <ButtonMax>green.png</ButtonMax>
   <ButtonMaxActive>green.png</ButtonMaxActive>
   <ButtonMin>yellow.png</ButtonMin>

i.e. my own choice of icons and where the location of those icons is defined by
Code:
<IconPath>/home/user/.jwm/icons</IconPath>

As a example menu entry in my rootmenu section I have one entry that looks like
Code:
            <Program icon="film.png" label="Record a video of desktop">
            X=`xdpyinfo | awk -F '[ x]+' '/dimensions:/{print $3}'` export X
            Y=`xdpyinfo | awk -F '[ x]+' '/dimensions:/{print $4}'` export Y
            /usr/bin/env LANG=en_US.UTF-8 /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -T "Recording Desktop - Q to stop" -geometry 60x8-0-36 -fa DejaVu:size=7 -e 'ffmpeg -f sndio -i snd/0 -f x11grab -r 12 -s ${X}x${Y} -i $DISPLAY -c:v libx264 -preset ultrafast ~/recording-of-desktop.mp4;xmessage -nearmouse see home directory recording-of-desktop.mp4'
            </Program> 

that acts as a desktop (video) recorder when clicked (brings up a terminal window, that when I type 'Q' in that window ends the recording.

Bit of a learning curve to start with, but once you're familiar you can do some pretty good things with a jwm and rox combination, such as having different resolutions on different desktops (handy if you're connected to another system that uses a different resolution), different icons and wallpaper on different desktops ...etc. Rox panels are also better than jwm quick launcher (icons in tray) IMO as they scroll when heavily loaded with icons and you can drag/drop files onto those icons to open the file with the program associated to the icon that you dropped the file onto.

Conceptually for instance you could have many many desktops (rox pinboards), perhaps one for each business contact you might have so that you can switch to that desktop if they phone you, and have all relevant links/docs/programs/spreadsheets/images...etc. readily to hand on their own personal desktop. In effect enables the desktop to become a form of database. Puppy as-is however constrains such usage, and if left in place as-is often destroys such tweaking by overwriting things with what and how it thinks things should be/work.

Another for-instance is that I use the tray clock as a menu, so when left mouse clicked shows the menu, and when right mouse clicked acts as a show/hide desktop. Images attached are for my openbsd setup. I do some video edits that take half a day to render, so a Puppy isn't really up to tasks such as that (I also like the incredible security of openbsd, such as being advised when any libs or bin files (and other config files etc.) have been changed (daily security checks of checksums), let alone swap being encrypted by default, randomisation of where things sit in memory, validating running programs stay within the limits of what they're expected to access/do and shut them down if they deviate outside of that etc.).

For simplicity/ease of use for beginners however I guess standard Puppy layout does make things easy gui point/click. The complexities behind the scenes however can make things more complicated compared to the likes of a single all-in-jwmrc type choice. Its great for getting to know/learn things however, so don't be frightened to experiment and try things out. Just remember to make backups (rollbacks) so you can undo things when you do (as you will) mess things up.
s1.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   38 KB
 Viewed   339 Time(s)

s1.jpg

s2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   47.64 KB
 Viewed   339 Time(s)

s2.jpg

Billtoo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Jun 2018, 20:25    Post subject:  

I use mc to launch audio & video files,manage files etc.
Also exited to the command line, pressed alt-f3 and logged in as root,
then tried using mc, it seemed to be working okay, exited then did
atl-f1 and entered xwin to get back to the desktop.
Cmus will run from the command line as well, maybe non graphic links
web browser, haven't tried that.
screenshot2.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   103.01 KB
 Viewed   336 Time(s)

screenshot2.jpg

Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 08:17    Post subject: rufwoof help please  

rufwoof,

ref the 2nd stage. I have stumbled at the first hurdle:
"you'll have to click the rox eye icon to show hidden files such as .session).
Yes done that ok,

Edit that file and locate the ARGS='' value (7th line up from the bottom) and change it to look like---"

You'll have to be patient with me, I'm a 73yo pensioner.

What exactly do you mean by edit that file?
Step by step,
Do you mean the folder called .session?
I can't find an edit command in roxfiler,
so what do I do & how do I do it?
Thanks.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 10:33    Post subject:  

Sorry Rodney, I was going from memory. I've corrected that earlier posting to include the ec-run filename

So open rox and get it to show the content of /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/.session and as part of that you need to click the eye in rox so that it shows hidden files (files that have a filename that start with a dot).

To edit the ec-run file in that /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/.session directory, move the mouse pointer over the ec-run file and click the right mouse button - that will then show a menu and you can move the mouse to highlight the "File 'ec-run'" menu option and when that is highlighted another side menu will show where one of the options is "Open As Text". Left mouse click that option and a text editor will open showing the content of that ec-run file.

In the editor, left mouse click between the single quotes on the line that shows
ARGS=''
and a vertical cursor will flash showing that it is ready to have text entered at that point.

Type
-c /usr/bin/tor-browser
(note that there is a space character after the -c (before the /usr/bin/tor-browser)) so that line now looks like
Code:

ARG='-c /usr/bin/tor-browser'

and then click the SAVE button near the top of the editors window

You can close the editor (geany) window and the rox window. And now when you click the "Console" icon at the top/centre of screen, you should see the terminal window open and shortly afterwards the tor-browser should also open.
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 11:16    Post subject: That's much better  

rufwoof,

Marvellous, your corrected instructions now work.

ec-run has appeared, don't know why it wasn't there before
and ARGS ("") is now edited.

One click on console (then pink screen & sh0 across top blue bar)
finally brings up tor after a delay.

My current desktop shortcut is an orange triangle with big ! inside
and clicking on it shows:
File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: /mnt/sdb2/containers/sh0/container/usr/share/applications/tor-browser.desktop.

That choice of icon source was a bit presumptive on my part,
so somewhere else may be one that does an active job.
The clever bit is just knowing as the filesystem is complex.
Must now get tea going for wife and self, see you anon.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 12:58    Post subject: Re: That's much better  

Rodney Byne wrote:

My current desktop shortcut is an orange triangle with big ! inside
and clicking on it shows:
File doesn't exist, or I can't access it: /mnt/sdb2/containers/sh0/container/usr/share/applications/tor-browser.desktop.

That is indicative that the tor browser sfs isn't being loaded in the main session, they way you have it set up its only being loaded inside the container. Probably a good choice to have it that way (as running one (such as in the main session) and then opening the other (containered) could possibly cause problems/issues), in which case right clicking that orange triangle and selecting "Remove item(s)" would be reasonable (so that the icons is no longer displayed on the desktop) - unless that is you want to have the option of running tor in both the main session or the console/sh0 container (in which case you'd also have to load the tor sfs in the main session - but as above, I suspect that would not be the best choice).

If you right click the 'console' icon at the top/centre of screen and left click the 'Edit Item' option, then you could change the text under the 'Text displayed under the icon is:" value to something else, such as "Tor Browser" and then click OK and then that icon text will show that instead of 'console'

I've just dd'd a new MMC/SD boot and installed the tor sfs in the console container as you have it, and was surprised to see (hear) that sound works (playing a sneekylinux youtube and sound is heard OK) when running that containered tor browser. I was anticipating that it wouldn't work - so pleasantly surprised Smile

If you open FILE (top left desktop icon) i.e. rox, and navigate to /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/containers/root/Downloads .... whilst the tor browser is running (otherwise that directory wont be visible/available), and click the third rox menu in from the left (that if you hover the mouse over it shows "Bookmarks menu" and then click that button and then click "Add New Bookmark", then that provides a quick way to use rox to show any files you might download with the tor-browser inside the container. i.e. later, in another session if you download a file, then you can open rox, click that same third in from left button and select that /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/containers/root/Downloads bookmark and rox will display the content of that directory/folder.

Similarly if you had a file such as a picture in the main session and wanted to upload/send that using the tor browser, then again you can use rox to drag/drop that file into the tor browsers Download folder. For instance if you had son.png picture file in the main sessions /root folder, then open rox and navigate to that folder. Then open another rox and select the /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/containers/root/Downloads bookmark. Next drag the son.png file from the /root folder window to the other rox window (that's showing /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/containers/root/Downloads). It will then ask you whether you want to copy or move that file. Copying will create a second copy of that son.png file in both locations, moving will just move it (so only one copy of the file remains). You have to do it that way as the container can't otherwise see files in the main system such as in the main systems /root directory/folder, but it can see files in its own /root/Download directory - which from the main systems perspective is actually directory /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/containers/root/Downloads

Image copy of my desktop with that console desktop icon renamed and moved down a bit. I've also changed the desktop background and desktop icons in my version. You likely will have more drive icons towards the bottom of the screen than me, as Linux can't see my HDD partitions so it doesn't show them.
capture10381.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   15.56 KB
 Viewed   224 Time(s)

capture10381.jpg

rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 13:58    Post subject:  

The sh0 (console) based tor browser menu font size was a bit too small for my liking, so whilst the tor browser was running I opened rox and edited /mnt/sdd2/containers/sh0/container/root/.gtkrc-2.0 so that it now looks like
Code:
# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT
include "/usr/share/themes/EasyBlue/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

style "user-font" {
   font_name = "Sans 12"
}

widget_class "*" style "user-font"

gtk-font-name="Sans 12"

gtk-theme-name  = "EasyBlue"

include "/root/.gtkrc.mine"

# -- THEME AUTO-WRITTEN DO NOT EDIT

i.e. specifies a Sans 12 font size - which is more to my liking (you have to close the tor browser and reopen it again to see the effects of the change).

Being in a container I just ignored those 'Do not edit' warnings (which are warnings that are more applicable to the main session).

The tor browser is much more responsive than I expected. Quite quick in fact.
Rodney Byne

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 16:03    Post subject: rufwoof - tor audio  

Rufwoof,

Nice useful info of interest in above posts on numerous subjects.

In one you mentioned trying out tor audio in YouTube.

You might try viewing this one of Finnish organist
Kalevi Kiviniemi playing Widor's Toccata in Rouen Cathedral.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZDp8hw7xUE

If you have a stereo hi-fi connected to your pc audio output socket,
turn the wick up, but be mindful of the foot-pedals' bass range!
Enjoy.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 19:08    Post subject:  

Kalevi Kiviniemi is very talented Rodney. Thanks for that link.
rufwoof

PostPosted: Mon 11 Jun 2018, 19:17    Post subject:  

@Barry

0.9.4 Easy Apps ... Business, Time Manager.

In /usr/local/PupApps/pupapps.rc

TIME_MANAGER="pclock"

so "pclock" shows when you hover over the icon.

File /usr/local/PupApps/PupApps-bin line 307 has it set to run $APPS_DIR/timemanager (/usr/local/PupApps/defaultapps/timemanager) ... which contains
#!/bin/sh
pclock

pclock however doesn't seem to be installed.
Page 57 of 68 [1006 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, ..., 66, 67, 68 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: