BionicDog (updated: 2018-06-04)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
irishrm

#321 Post by irishrm »

I.m not surprised your confused.

That referred to the results of my previous attempt to install the unified driver. Cups appeared in the menu no idea how that happened. I un-installed
the unified driver and all that disappeared.

Will try to finally install the printer later.
irishrm.

fredx181

#322 Post by fredx181 »

rcrsn51 wrote:The 64bit BionicDog has a bug - the root user's password should be "root", but it's not.
Good catch, major bug, thanks ! It only affects the 64-bit version (also previous Bionicdog64 version 2018-04-21), 32-bit versions are OK, sorry for the inconvenience.
Fix it from terminal being root, to create new root password as you prefer:

Code: Select all

passwd root
EDIT: Added to Changes and fixes list:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 364#989364

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 16:25, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#323 Post by rcrsn51 »

irishrm wrote:Will try to finally install the printer later.
Fingers crossed.

I have a vague recollection of early versions of the ULD with different version numbers and some GUI functionality. But I stripped out the GUI stuff when I converted them to PETs.

Those drivers got replaced long ago with the current uld_V1.00.xxx class of drivers.

---------------
samsung_print-4.01.17.pet
Those PETs are really old. The most recent ones I made were named samsung_print-uld.1.0.37.pet.

ITSMERSH

#324 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi again.

Anyone knows how to disable the Screensaver in BionicDog and how to boot into a desktop using a different language other than EN (e.g.: DE)?

Thanks.

fredx181

#325 Post by fredx181 »

Hi RSH, if you mean to disable the screen blanking every 10 min, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 147#992147

Setting locale (language) is possible but not perfect, download, load (activate module, right-click from pcmanfm) the "99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs" from download first post and see here:
EDIT: Better, instead loading -on-the-fly-, place "99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs" in the casper folder of a frugal install, and reboot and it will be loaded everytime you boot BionicDog.
(@shelezyaka asked for how to set to russian locale, in your case change every "ru_RU" to "de_DE")
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 270#991270

Just tell me if you need further help.

Fred
Last edited by fredx181 on Sat 09 Jun 2018, 18:14, edited 2 times in total.

irishrm

#326 Post by irishrm »

rcrsn51, fredx181:
Success the printer is installed and working.

Thanks for all the help.
I promise to leave you both in peace now for a while.

irishrm.

rcrsn51

#327 Post by rcrsn51 »

irishrm wrote:rcrsn51, fredx181:
Success the printer is installed and working.
Excellent. To summarize, it's the same procedure in Puppies and Dogs.

1. Get a compatible driver package.
2. Install the driver.
3. Run the CUPS web interface at localhost:631 . Login as root if required.
4. Do a CUPS printer setup.

----------------------
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Sun 10 Jun 2018, 13:52, edited 1 time in total.

ITSMERSH

#328 Post by ITSMERSH »

fredx181 wrote:Hi RSH, if you mean to disable the screen blanking every 10 min, see here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 147#992147
Thanks, yes that's what I meant.

Meanwhile I'd solved this by trying to use /root/.xset.sh from Puppy - worked pretty well, has also effect on mouse speed...

I will try to setup BionicDog for the use of DE desktop etc. later, when I'm back in BionicDog.

Again thanks.

ITSMERSH

#329 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

I had already downloaded the 99-locales-BionicDog-2018-04-21.squashfs and it loads automatically at boot. Following the advice here I was able to boot into DE desktop.

But there wasn't much of locales files downloaded, so I just grabbed the DE locales from German Language Package of L18L. Worked well.

Thanks! :)

ITSMERSH

#330 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi,

I have made two remasters, one per RemasterDog and one per RemasterCow, just to find out how it works.

Named the files to:

01-remaster.squashfs (RemasterDog)
02-changes.squashfs (RemasterCow)

I suspect when using 01-remaster.squashfs the OS will run on this machine only?

Would this be different when using only 02-changes.squashfs?

And how do I use them?

When copying e.g. 02-changes.squashfs to the location of 01-filesystem.squashfs shall I remove everything from directory 'changes' before doing a reboot?

Or do I need to make a new install?

Thanks!

fredx181

#331 Post by fredx181 »

Hi RSH,

RemasterDog makes a remaster of the full system "/", including changes and loaded extra modules.

RemasterCow (COW=CopyOnWrite) makes a module from the save-folder or save-file.

I'd say use one or the other, not both, probably your 01-remaster.squashfs has already the changes included same as in 02-changes.squashfs
I suspect when using 01-remaster.squashfs the OS will run on this machine only?
Not sure what you mean. Why would it ?
When copying e.g. 02-changes.squashfs to the location of 01-filesystem.squashfs shall I remove everything from directory 'changes' before doing a reboot?
Yes, the 02-changes.squashfs has the changes already, so it would be waste of space if you keep the old changes.
I would not remove content of 'changes' while running the system, there's Menu entry "Clear changes at reboot", better use that.

There's more to say about this all, it's a bit late here, so keeping it short.
I admit it can be confusing how to use these options. (BTW, there's also "Quick-Remaster Gui" which is more convenient to use then RemasterDog)

P.S. I wouldn't recommend using RemasterCow (and loading e.g. 02-changes.squashfs) if your changes contain installed programs with apt-get or synaptic, specially if you kept the checkbox checked "Disable dpkg registration", then the package management doesn't know about these programs.
(for personal changes, added files, configuration etc... it's OK to use it)

Fred

ITSMERSH

#332 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks for the reply. :)
I just thought this remaster is equal to puppy remaster with full customized /etc? So, all devices and its settings are customized dependent on the machine doing the remaster?

Ok, as I do understand this so far, .squashfs is equal to .sfs (just a different extension?) and I can create .squashfs files manually, naming them 03-blabla..squashfs, 04-somemoreblabla..squashfs and so on, placing them to the location of 01-filesystem.squashfs and they will load at boot?

If so, which one would be on top layer?

Sorry for so many questions, but I really like this OS and there is a learning curve for me to achieve my goals, since there's many stuff different to puppy. It took me hours to manipulate the Openbox Menu to have a quick-start menu for some preferred applications.

Currently I got a complete Audio Studio running in BionicDog on a Samsung N150 Netbook, including QJackCtl, QTractor, QSynth (ZynAddSubFx is too resource hungry unfortunately), JACK Mixer, Hydrogen (not completely tested yet) and Audacity to record and mix down.

That's really pretty cool! 8) :D

Btw.: when the Samsung N150 turns out to be ready and able for the use as portable Audio Studio e.g. playing sequences to make me able to perform some live drumming to these sequences, I will do a Video about the ability of BionicDog as portable Audio Studio on a Samsung N150 Netbook.

So, thumbs pressed !?

dancytron

#333 Post by dancytron »

If so, which one would be on top layer?
The *.squashfs files in the /casper (or /live in debian) are loaded in alpha numeric order.

So, 01-filesystem.squashfs would be loaded and then 99-vlic.squashfs would be loaded. In other words, 99-vlc.squashfs would be loaded on top of 01-filesystem.squashfs.

If you load them on-the-fly after you start, then it gives you the choice. If you choose "safe activate" it is loaded underneath, otherwise it is loaded on top.

Definitely give the "Quick Remaster" a try. It is very good.

rufwoof

#334 Post by rufwoof »

The *.squashfs files in the /casper (or /live in debian) are loaded in alpha numeric order.
You can specify which sfs files get loaded and in what order ... see the manual page for liveboot (extract below)
live/filesystem.module
This optional file (inside the live media) contains a list of
white-space or carriage-return-separated file names corresponding
to disk images in the "/live" directory. If this file exists, only
images listed here will be merged into the root aufs, and they will
be loaded in the order listed here. The first entry in this file
will be the "lowest" point in the aufs, and the last file in this
list will be on the "top" of the aufs, directly below /cow.
Without this file, any images in the "/live" directory are loaded
in alphanumeric order.
That's for Ubuntu, Debian have similar (I thought the filename listing sfs's was just called filesystem, so check the specific detail as appropriate for your installation).

ITSMERSH

#335 Post by ITSMERSH »

Thanks @rufwoof and @dancytron! :)

I will try Quick-Remaster Gui soon...

fredx181

#336 Post by fredx181 »

ITSMERSH wrote:Ok, as I do understand this so far, .squashfs is equal to .sfs (just a different extension?) and I can create .squashfs files manually, naming them 03-blabla..squashfs, 04-somemoreblabla..squashfs and so on, placing them to the location of 01-filesystem.squashfs and they will load at boot?
Yes, but, as I said, then 03-blabla..squashfs or 04-... better should not contain packages registration, unless you know exactly what you're doing, the package management in the Dogs is very strict and can be easily confused (or even worse, broken). This is a main difference with Puppy.
Quote:

I just thought this remaster is equal to puppy remaster with full customized /etc? So, all devices and its settings are customized dependent on the machine doing the remaster?
Ah, I see, no, it's works different than in Puppy. Nothing dependent on the machine AFAIK (although maybe it can be in some cases, depending on how things are configured, e.g. blacklisted drivers).
EDIT: Oh, and the script does some cleaning, e.g. remove /etc/resolv.conf and more)
Btw.: when the Samsung N150 turns out to be ready and able for the use as portable Audio Studio e.g. playing sequences to make me able to perform some live drumming to these sequences, I will do a Video about the ability of BionicDog as portable Audio Studio on a Samsung N150 Netbook.
That would be nice ! :)

Fred

ITSMERSH

#337 Post by ITSMERSH »

Hi.

I tried 'Quick-Remaster Gui', but when rebooting systemd complained about missing libip4tc and booting was stopped/halted... :?

Don't know if it would complain about other missing libraries...

stemsee

#338 Post by stemsee »

Now ... Wifi-TrayNet has conflicting deps removed from control file. But will use dhcpcd5 if installed udhcpc if not.

If Wifi-TrayNet autoconnect feature is enabled a selection gui will open offering to backup peasywifi_auto to exauto, and install Wifi-TrayNet autocon. The selection is a checkbox. If unchecked peasywifi_auto will be restored and Wifi-TrayNet auotocon will be removed.

I have taken the udhcpc command from peasywifi, as it is better than mine. I have included in /lib udhcpc and dhcpcd hookscripts. Also the IP-Info script from peasy has been modified with geometry recorder functionality (/usr/sbin/Wifi-Ipinfo to remember position and size.

iPhone lib and manpages have been removed.

I did a lot of testing after de-bugging and optimising, on BionicDog, to make sure it works properly.

When changing interface, two small guis open one is the svg image selector, the other is a text only selector ... this latter can remain open and just selecting interface will change it ... especially useful with continuous scanning-tooltip which has a tray icon countdown from 9 to 0. Change interface for each scan (gimmicky)!

This .deb is in fact noarch.

EDIT: If peasywifi happens to get uninstalled then Wifi-TrayNet does not find udhcpc in path, so need to specify busybox udhcpc in script!
Not only that but during refinement and debugging the cursor gets lost in geany, while I assume it is positioned for the next key stroke, be it deletion or correction, and lo and behold, the damned thing is NOT where I placed it ... and another bug arises ... fu**k fu**k fu**k fu**k FU**K! Sorted now, but really!
Attachments
wifi-traynet_2.8_i386.deb.gz
(140.79 KiB) Downloaded 99 times
2018-06-13-153951_56x41_scrot.png
(3.15 KiB) Downloaded 1014 times
2018-06-13-152221_746x405_scrot.png
(91.99 KiB) Downloaded 1064 times
2018-06-13-151940_345x542_scrot.png
(89.64 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
2018-06-13-145844_669x406_scrot.png
(72.75 KiB) Downloaded 1043 times
2018-06-13-145849_669x406_scrot.png
(69.42 KiB) Downloaded 1027 times
Last edited by stemsee on Fri 15 Jun 2018, 08:55, edited 2 times in total.

fredx181

#339 Post by fredx181 »

@ITSMERSH
I tried 'Quick-Remaster Gui', but when rebooting systemd complained about missing libip4tc and booting was stopped/halted... Confused

That's bad, I can't reproduce, because I don't know what you did exactly, always worked fine for me.
Did you find the (older) 01-filesystem.squashfs.bak file (or changes.bak, if you choose to backup changes) to be able to restore to how it was before running the remaster ?
And did you have the same problem when you booted with remaster created by RemasterDog ?

@stemsee, thanks for new Wifi-TrayNet, I will test one of these days.

Fred

wiak

#340 Post by wiak »

ITSMERSH wrote:Hi.

I tried 'Quick-Remaster Gui', but when rebooting systemd complained about missing libip4tc and booting was stopped/halted... :?

I can confirm, at least for XenialDog64, that quick remaster has always worked fine for me (and I've remastered often). I always get it to automatically remove the changes folder - maybe there would be problems if the old one was also left behind? And always the old 01-filesystem.squashfs is created as a backup file for the rare occasion when I want to go back to that one (though in my usage, I've lost the previous changes folder of course).

As far as I remember, if the quick-remaster has finished it automatically reboots (though I may be wrong about that). Come to think of it, there may have been one time a remaster failed for me - can't say why that would be though - I'm always careful to sync a few times before I do anything major and I leave the quick remaster program alone without doing anything further on the system whilst it is doing its business. I usually use lz4 compression choice.

I'm wondering if there is a possibility a quick remaster might fail if /tmp RAM space is running out? In which case one of the tricks to increase tmpfs RAM (or whatever it is), that I can't recall, might help?

Definitely would be a good idea to make a backup of the changes folder before trying, since having problems with it. And maybe try it with a small changes folder first just to make sure it is basically working before trying a major changes remaster?

My current XenialDog64 lz4-compressed 01-filesystem.squashfs is just over 1 GB in size, so you can see it's had quite a major remaster at some point.

wiak