ROX-Filer 2.11 patched

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
davids45

Pinboard icon text

#21 Post by davids45 »

G'day woodenshoe-wi,

In response to your post on the Rox poll thread :) , I had just tried your latest .pet for your Rox in a BionicPup1805-2+Sc64bit-kernel Frugal.

The new Rox column adjustability is better - I deleted the never-been-used 'Permissions', 'Owner' and 'Group' columns (screenshot).

This Pup was already fully apped with my apps-links sfs and the pinboard icon labels edited by me, these apps having been dragged as .desktop files from /usr/share/applications/ so I remove '.desktop' and sometimes shorten what's left to fit under the icon.

1) with the new Rox, no .desktop to worry about but some application icon labels became too long and overlapped text of adjacent icons (screenshot)

2) when I tried to edit the too-long labels, I couldn't with your Rox. This may be something due to these being links to my data partition, not a 'normal' file on my frugals partition?

Can I edit something to shorten the over-long labels before they're being loaded onto the pinboard?

I found nothing else an issue with some quick tests with your Rox but have reverted to my previous savefile with its older Rox version and icon-text-editable pinboard (screenshot).

Happy to try anything else when I can.

Thanks for your work with Rox,

David S.
Attachments
newRox-details-columns.jpg
unwanted/unused columns gone from new Rox details window
(75.24 KiB) Downloaded 1030 times
newRox-pinboard.jpg
application icon labels (some) too long and overlapping, which I could not edit away with the new Rox.
(117.72 KiB) Downloaded 1055 times
normal-pinboard-icon-labels.jpg
pre-new-Rox pinboard with application icon labels after normal removal of '.desktop' - works with 'old' Rox
(113.33 KiB) Downloaded 1046 times

woodenshoe-wi

#22 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Thank you for testing davids45, I don't normally link .desktop files to my pinboard so I wouldn't have found the bug by myself.

Looking into the problem it seems that when the feature to use the name from .desktop files was added it would always override any user edits.

Here are new pets with a fix applied:
Edit: Newer versions posted later.

Pets that are suitable for woof builds are also available,
32 bit version https://gitlab.com/woodenshoe-wi/petbui ... s-common32
64 bit version https://gitlab.com/woodenshoe-wi/petbui ... s-common64
But as before, be warned that they will reset your desktop background, overwrite your pin-board and possibly other unwanted changes... They are meant for woof builds.
Last edited by woodenshoe-wi on Sun 17 Jun 2018, 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

recobayu

#23 Post by recobayu »

Thank you, woodenshoe-wi.
I download your rox standalone and common. I install it on bionicpup. I got error on common's rox. I can not click on toolbar and i can not right click. But it does not happen with rox standalone in my bionicpup.
I am very happy because now i can make new directory by clicking on '+' toolbar. Also i can hide the unused column in list view.

I also thank you. Because I can copy-paste multiple file with yor rox-filer.

I still have problem when i will select multiple file by mouse (block by click and drag) in list view mode. I must choose the right coordinate (usually a line between two file) so i can block it. Could it be more easier as icon view does?

But I say thank you again for your hard work.
:)

woodenshoe-wi

#24 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

recobayu wrote:I got error on common's rox. I can not click on toolbar and i can not right click. But it does not happen with rox standalone in my bionicpup.
I can reproduce the problem you describe, restarting the X server fixes it for me. The strange thing is that I make the "standalone" version by deleting the files in /etc, /root and the /usr/local/bin/rox script from the "common" pet.

Maybe something is wrong with one of the config files in the petbuild template. The "common" pets are meant for woof builds, and the standalone pets are meant for installing in a running pup. Other than the configuration files they are identical.

I have an idea to make selecting files in list view easier by only allowing the icon and name columns to drag items, but I have to solve the "Attempt to paste empty selection!" warning first. So I won't be posting anything to test until I get this figured out.

In the meantime you could try holding down the CTRL key and clicking on each item you want to select. Time consuming, but maybe more reliable than clicking in just the right place?

Smithy

#25 Post by Smithy »

Hello woodenshoe, is there somewhere in your code to:

1. Remove the Copy dialogue completely (the shift+Ctrl+C one)
2. Rename Copy to Clipboard just to Copy.
3. Rename Cut to Clipboard just to Cut.
4 Make the delete dialogue operate with the Delete button on keyboard
as opposed to the laborious Shift+Ctrl+X
5. Rename Paste to Clipboard to just Paste.

6. And finally have them grouped in the same area as the rename and delete section.

Been testing those items and they are rock solid, but just would like to remove the duplication (Copy) and move them right next to each other to slim down the right click a bit.
Attachments
woodenshoe rox1.png
(106.22 KiB) Downloaded 840 times

step

#26 Post by step »

Hi Smithy, two things you asked about, renaming a menu item and changing its hot key, can be done also without changing the source code. Of course, changing the source code is another way.
I tested these methods on Fatdog64 ROX-Filer, I don't know if the version in this thread behaves the same way, but my guess is that it does.

To change a hotkey select (don't click) the menu option that you want to change and press the key you want for it. For instance, the picture you posted is exactly at the right spot for changing Ctrl+Shift+C to F5. Just press Del once (to free Ctrl+Shift+C) and press F5 (to assign F5). You should see the menu entry change to "Copy... (F5)".

Changing the text of menu entries is more complicated, but achievable. The gist of it is to add a custom translation file inside the ROX-Filer application folder, for your case, exactly adding file /usr/local/apps/ROX-Filer/Messages/en/LC_MESSAGES/ROX-Filer.mo. How to create ROX-Filer.mo. That's the more complicated part, if you have no previous experience with translating Puppy Linux. PM me if you're interested. No offense taken if you aren't.
Last edited by step on Tue 12 Jun 2018, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

woodenshoe-wi

#27 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Smithy wrote: 1. Remove the Copy dialogue completely (the shift+Ctrl+C one)
I use the Copy dialogue to make backup copies of files that I am going to edit, so I am not willing to remove it but I could rename it to Duplicate to free up the Copy name. The Rename dialogue is based on the Move dialogue so Duplicate would be the equivalent.
Smithy wrote: 4 Make the delete dialogue operate with the Delete button on keyboard
I would love to do that but I can't figure out how to get GTK to assign the Delete button as a shortcut from the source code. :(
Smithy wrote: 6. And finally have them grouped in the same area as the rename and delete section.
As long as you are OK with Paste staying where it is that sounds like a plan. I will work on it when I have some more time, so it won't be right away.

step

#28 Post by step »

woodenshoe-wi wrote:
Smithy wrote: 4 Make the delete dialogue operate with the Delete button on keyboard
I would love to do that but I can't figure out how to get GTK to assign the Delete button as a shortcut from the source code. :(
In my copy of the source code, the shortcut key is assigned in menu.c

Code: Select all

{">" N_("Copy..."),		"<Ctrl>C", file_op, FILE_COPY_ITEM, "<StockItem>", GTK_STOCK_COPY},
If changing it there doesn't work then it could be set in a configuration file, either in the user's or XDG's configuration directories. In Fatdog64 those are ~/.config.mine/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/menus2 and /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/ROX-Filer/menus2 respectively. My user's menu entry for copy is

Code: Select all

(gtk_accel_path "<filer>/File/Copy..." "F5")
which assigns F5 and overrides menu.c
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

Smithy

#29 Post by Smithy »

Hi step, woodenshoe, first of all, reading through the information in both of your posts, I was just wondering if rox filer had a script or suchlike, where I could chop for example the copy line out at line number xx and shift the text a bit. Clearly not, looking inside.

I only compile the odd driver in a blue moon and those lc translations and .mo files down in the bowels of puppy I just have a quick look to make sure that apps have a bit of internationalisation if I'm making one.

I only wanted to do that for a user perspective copy, (even though this version is in final music2go sfs that I put together).

I realise that probably loads of puppy devs and users rely on the Shift+Ctrl+C and probably other key commands, so I didn't mean for you to change your official version :)

If the delete key eventually becomes delete that will be great, the rest of my bullet points are really just cosmetic and a lot of the time I am ctrl c, ctrl x and ctrl v and of course...delete.

Actually duplicate could be a good idea woodenshoe, sort of makes sense.

I would say this rox filer makes things about 50% faster than the old drag and dropper that we have had to live with for years.. and got rid of the glipper thing on the taskbar.

woodenshoe-wi

#30 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

@step I knew where the key binding was set but I couldn't figure out how to tell GTK to use the 'Delete' key. I had tried "<Del>" and "<Delete>" but it wouldn't recognize it. Somehow your post inspired me to try "Delete" and success!. I have the 'Delete' key assigned to the 'Delete' dialogue!
Smithy wrote:I realise that probably loads of puppy devs and users rely on the Shift+Ctrl+C and probably other key commands, so I didn't mean for you to change your official version :)
No... actually the original key binding for the old 'Copy' was Ctrl+C but I changed it to Shift+Ctrl+C because I wanted to use Ctrl+C for 'Copy to clipboard'. I think I will make Shift+Ctrl+C the key binding for 'Duplicate'.

Maybe I will have time to make a release this weekend.

Puppus Dogfellow

#31 Post by Puppus Dogfellow »

thanks for this, woodenshoe-wi.

working well in an old xenial32 spin (based on 704) and a few tahr64 spins (based on 605).

had backups of the pinboard(s) so having mine reset to the alien default wasn't a problem; being able to remove and move columns is great; the installation preserved all my other rox mods (custom icons and the ability to set right click shortcuts were added to the original iso and not lost when the new items were added to the tool bar and menus); the clipboard is great....

mirrored your efforts here: rox filer 4 by woodenshoe (32/64)

thanks again!

-pd

woodenshoe-wi

#32 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Here are new pets with the 'Delete' key binding change and menu rearranging. I decided to go with "Ctrl+D" for 'Duplicate' because that makes the menu a little narrower and is easier to type.
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/7xpy3m3nlhmqn ... 5.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/yghhwqcwejqwi ... 5.pet?dl=1

I also made some changes to the copy and move functions to bring them closer in line with the jun7 branch. If you don't have "Quite" mode default for the 'Copy' and 'Move' dialogues it will still prompt you if overwriting an older file with a newer one even if the 'Newer' check box is ticked. Jun7 figures it is a bug if you want to be prompted for every action (you are not in "Quite" mode) and older files get overwritten by newer ones without being prompted even though you are prompted for every move or copy that doesn't result in an overwrite. Makes sense to me, so this change is intentional.

Pets that are suitable for woof builds are available upon request, but they are not meant for installing into a running system so I am not posting links here.

Smithy

#33 Post by Smithy »

Seems to be working good Woodenshoe, Not noticed any bugs in cut, copy paste.
What are roxapps btw? Can one make videoplayers and audio players for rox? I think pizzagood's ram thing was a roxapp?
Too lazy to search through loads of..text.

woodenshoe-wi

#34 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

Smithy wrote:What are roxapps btw? Can one make videoplayers and audio players for rox? I think pizzagood's ram thing was a roxapp?
Too lazy to search through loads of..text.
I'm afraid I can't help you there, I don't know anything about roxapps myself.

Unless it is the same thing as an AppDir which just means that it is a directory with an AppRun script inside and unless you hold down the "Shift" key when you click on it ROX will run the AppRun script instead of opening the directory.

Directories can also have a .DirIcon file inside which will be shown instead of the standard directory icon for that particular directory, and this version of ROX has the patch applied to allow files to have "comment" files.
Attachments
comment_DirIcon.png
(37.7 KiB) Downloaded 767 times

woodenshoe-wi

#35 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version for testing,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvhsutzp1xu8f ... e.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/eaoh8kw74wfgk ... e.pet?dl=1

These have some significant changes in the way that filer windows are closed if the directory they are showing is missing/deleted. It is now a setting in 'Options...' if you want to close the window automatically.

woodenshoe-wi

#36 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

New version for testing,
32 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/c7ahi4nv1dwwu ... e.pet?dl=1
64 bit version https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhnw2zpanjdy6 ... e.pet?dl=1
recobayu wrote:I still have problem when i will select multiple file by mouse (block by click and drag) in list view mode. I must choose the right coordinate (usually a line between two file) so i can block it. Could it be more easier as icon view does?
I finally got a solution that I am happy with, so give it a try with the new version. Items can be dragged by clicking in the icon and name columns, but all other columns will start a selection box.

I also cherry-picked the commit from jun7 adding an optional atime column, so if you want to see the Last Accessed time in list view mode, look in Options...

I was able to figure out that the strange behavior from the common32/64 versions was from specifying a nonexistent backdrop image in PuppyPin, so I am not releasing pets that are suitable for woof builds until this is figured out.

I would appreciate it if people would be willing to test this version, because if nothing serious is found I hope it could be included in the next testing version of Puppy.

torm

#37 Post by torm »

Hello

Downloaded from github, compiled with clicking the folder.
Running it in ( almost.. ) fresh savefolder of TahrPup606, 32bit.
Did not notice any changes to desktop wallpaper or icons btw.
First impression is, that new menuitems work fine, at least with defaults.
/tmp/xerrs.log and /var/log/messages look clean.
Could be grouped differently, while that is not an issue atm.

I kinda like the way web-browsers manage files with the same name.
Does it matter which one is newer if I download rox-filer-master from different
locations? It just renames the second package to rox-filer-master(1), and so on..
Maybe "New" toolbutton could use a similar method?

Are there any plans to dig deeper with this project?
There are some small issues that cannot be resolved without changes to source,
then again - I have no intention to derail or hijack this topic here..

woodenshoe-wi

#38 Post by woodenshoe-wi »

torm wrote: I kinda like the way web-browsers manage files with the same name.
Does it matter which one is newer if I download rox-filer-master from different
locations? It just renames the second package to rox-filer-master(1), and so on..
Maybe "New" toolbutton could use a similar method?
What "different locations" are you downloading from? I merged the dtomas fork https://github.com/dtomas/rox-filer (last activity Feb, 2016) and the seirios fork https://github.com/seirios/rox-filer (last activity May 2017) and cherry-picked some commits from the jun7 fork https://github.com/jun7/rox-filer (actively maintained). The master branch of each of these forks is different.

As for the "New" toolbutton, the "NewDir" and "NewFile" text is just a placeholder and should be replaced with more meaningful names. I don't see how "NewDir(1)", "NewDir(2)"... would be useful.

If you want files to be renamed when moving them to a directory that already has files with the same name you should try the jun7 fork, I think sequence numbering is already implemented there. Because I wanted the commits for clipboard support from the dtomas fork they came with merge conflicts with the jun7 fork, but I would rather work on figuring out how to get clipboard support cherry-picked to the jun7 fork than trying to merge all the changes from the jun7 fork.
torm wrote: Are there any plans to dig deeper with this project?
There are some small issues that cannot be resolved without changes to source,
then again - I have no intention to derail or hijack this topic here..
Well, I think this topic is about any patched version of ROX-Filer that is used with Puppy Linux. It was started by radky, I worked on it for a while and I think I am close to being done with the changes I wanted, and if you have the inclination to pick it up and continue with more changes I think this topic would be the appropriate place to do it.

musher0

#39 Post by musher0 »

@woodenshoe:

The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your
version. No 2nd ROX-Filer window pops up when I click "Customize Menu".
So the symlinks associated to a file type cannot be changed.

(This in the echinus window manager. Someone please confirm or contradict
the above with jwm or icewm? Thanks.)

So I'll be sticking with the ROX-Filer Classic. Don't feel discouraged, continue
applying your inquisitive and brilliant mind to Puppy stuff.

Maybe just test more the parts you have not changed against the part you
have changed? (This is not meant to be personal criticism, it is a principle of
programming.)

Good continuation. BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

sheldonisaac

"Customize Menu"?

#40 Post by sheldonisaac »

musher0 (in part) wrote:]The capacity to change the links associated to a file type is lost in your
version. No 2nd ROX-Filer window pops up when I click "Customize Menu".
So the symlinks associated to a file type cannot be changed.

(This in the echinus window manager. Someone please confirm or contradict
the above with jwm or icewm?
By coincidence, I downloaded this ROX-Filer pet today, and intended to try it, without loading the savefile, in your Xenial 7.06 (my everyday OS)

I don't know what this "Customize Menu" is; is it related to my use of JWM?

So I will go ahead with trying this new ROX-Filer.

Thanks.
Dell E6410: BusterPup, BionicPup64, Xenial, etc
Intel DQ35JOE, Dell Vostro 430
Dell Inspiron, Acer Aspire One, EeePC 1018P