BionicPup32 (UPupBB) (27 June 2020)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Terry H

#161 Post by Terry H »

There should be some capacity to cheat a bit. I would think you would end up with the same result by changing the 18.05 +1.iso to 18.05.iso and applying the delta to it.

jrb

#162 Post by jrb »

Terry H wrote:There should be some capacity to cheat a bit.
Good lateral (devious?) thinking there :D , but it checks the md5 and rejects anything but the original.

peebee

#163 Post by peebee »

Terry H wrote:There should be some capacity to cheat a bit. I would think you would end up with the same result by changing the 18.05 +1.iso to 18.05.iso and applying the delta to it.
Some comments to the discussion above:

- the deltas do have to be applied to the original 18.05.iso - I will add a link to the 1st post

- you don't have to use the xdelta gui - you just put the delta into the same folder as the 18.05.iso and then click on the delta file

- you can't cheat as the xdelta checks the md5

- the contents of the new .iso are identically named to the original - all you have to replace (in your frugal install) is the puppy.sfs - therefore a savefile can be reused and will not be updated on reboot

- reverse_updates are now available
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jrb

#164 Post by jrb »

peebee wrote:reverse_updates are now available
Downdates? :lol:

Mike Walsh

#165 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hm. O-kay. I see..... (I think!) :lol:

Right, then; bearing in mind that I started with 18.05+1, and am using a (by now) heavily-customized save-file built using that particular release, what's the best way to achieve 18.05+5 status, and still continue with the existing save-file?

Remember; I've already downloaded the 18.05+5 .iso, and the delta. Surely it makes more sense to simply use the contents of the new .iso file, than to also download the original 18.05 .iso, mess around with the delta, and generate 18.05+5 that way? My save-file wasn't built using the original in any case.....

Ah, well; I'll back Bionic up, then have a go at this. Which brings me to another point I'd forgotten; normally, backing up most of my Pups, which on average have a 50-60% full 6 GB save-file, takes around 3-4 mins, tops. For some reason, backing up Bionic's directory always seems to take the best part of an hour.....but there's exactly the same stuff installed.... :roll:

Any thoughts?
jrb wrote:Here's the link to where you can download upupbb-18.05.iso. The deltas are in the updates folder and the devx is in the appropriately named folder. I don't know how good your internet service is but I find it well worth while to download 20MB as opposed to 270MB.
Since we went 'unlimited', some 2½ years ago, d/l speed is actually darned good. Upload speed, however, is a whole 'nother 'ball-game'.....

Example; I d/l'ed Bionic's .iso in around 8-10 seconds. But if I upload, say, a 5 MB file to MediaFire or Google Drive, it'll take 40-50 seconds once the transfer commences. I know 'net traffic tends to be heavily biased toward d/ls as opposed to u/ls, but the difference there is rather noticeable, don't ya think??

Mike. :wink:

Marv

#166 Post by Marv »

Mike Walsh wrote:Since we went 'unlimited', some 2½ years ago, d/l speed is actually darned good. Upload speed, however, is a whole 'nother 'ball-game'.....

Example; I d/l'ed Bionic's .iso in around 8-10 seconds. But if I upload, say, a 5 MB file to MediaFire or Google Drive, it'll take 40-50 seconds once the transfer commences. I know 'net traffic tends to be heavily biased toward d/ls as opposed to u/ls, but the difference there is rather noticeable, don't ya think??
Our download:upload is 16:1, I think not atypical. Since we're not 'cloud' people we really don't notice and coming from the acoustic modem stone age an honest 16 Mbps download speed still makes me smile :D
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jrb

#167 Post by jrb »

Mike Walsh wrote:normally, backing up most of my Pups, which on average have a 50-60% full 6 GB save-file, takes around 3-4 mins, tops. For some reason, backing up Bionic's directory always seems to take the best part of an hour.....but there's exactly the same stuff installed.... :roll:
That does seem excessive! I'd be looking to see what's in that directory, maybe use Gdmap from the filesystem menu to do a thorough analysis. BTW how are you backing it up?

Mike Walsh

#168 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ jrb:-
jrb wrote:That does seem excessive! I'd be looking to see what's in that directory, maybe use Gdmap from the filesystem menu to do a thorough analysis. BTW how are you backing it up?
Simple copy'n'paste, as I've always done. If in its own partition, I copy the contents of the partition; if in a sub-directory, I copy the contents of the directory. Never used any backup tools, as such; never found there to be any need. Unless of course the new Woof-CE build-system now no longer really supports doing this.....or is this a Canonical 'thing', as opposed to a general Linux 'thing'?? :lol:

-------------------------------------
Marv wrote:Our download:upload is 16:1, I think not atypical. Since we're not 'cloud' people we really don't notice and coming from the acoustic modem stone age an honest 16 Mbps download speed still makes me smile :D
Yeah; sounds about right (I guess). Your d/l speed is around the same as ours; varies between 15-18 MBps, depending on the day of the week, time of day, the time of year.....etc., etc. I'm more than happy with those kinds of figures, since about the most intensive thing I normally do online is watch NetFlix (which runs quite happily).

davids45

(A bit of a topic divergence) Puppy Back-ups

#169 Post by davids45 »

G'day Mike W.,

I think you could try some of Puppy's back-up packages - I've had little trouble with these for a few years now.

For frugals:
I've found a very efficient save-file back-up package in the Utility menu ("Pupsave Backup").
The appended screenshots show how I use it, now on a very frequent basis.
Two compressions are offered if compression is chosen for the back-up.
The back-up name includes the Frugal's full name, date and time created (last screenshot) so several back-ups of the same Pup can be sorted quickly to find the latest or to delete the earlier ones.
I store these back-ups in a dedicated directory on a data partition.

For partitions:
I use another Puppy back-up ("Puppy Backup" in the menu shot) to regularly back-up (mirror) my data partitions, my frugals' partitions, and my boot partition to a 1TB USB drive.

David S.
Attachments
Puppy-Save-backup.jpg
Options in the Utilities Menu - for partitions and save-files
(85.04 KiB) Downloaded 1011 times
Savefile-backup-opening.jpg
(30.24 KiB) Downloaded 1011 times
backup-options.jpg
(10.65 KiB) Downloaded 1001 times
backup-name-details.jpg
(14.84 KiB) Downloaded 1008 times

Mike Walsh

#170 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hi, David.

I take your point, and, er, appreciate what you're saying.

One of the main reasons I back-up the way I do is because it's quicker. I'm not denigrating the effort the writers of these tools have put in to get them to look (and work) correctly. But you must admit, they're really for beginners to Puppy.....to make it as easy as possible for them. And Pup's 'Utility' section does indeed look very professional these days; all credit to everyone involved!

I'm essentially using the mechanism behind the tool, I guess.....in very much the same way as those of us who've been with Puppy for a while often use the 'quick'n'dirty' method for setting up new Pups. We know what we're doing, and just do it.....whereas it'd take longer to explain to a beginner how to do this than it would to let them use the PUI in the first place (which was put together for just this purpose, of course.) :smile:

I've often considered putting together my own YAD-based GUI 'front-end' for my back-ups.....just to give me some eye-candy while the process is going on in the background!!

I may have a look at these tools, and try them out. I'll certainly have a look at the scripts, now.

hamoudoudou

Just for information

#171 Post by hamoudoudou »

The .sfs in this iso are as follows:

adrv contains the web browser and can be replaced ##

fdrv contains a selection of firmware **
zdrv contains the kernel in association with vmlinuz
ydrv adds extra right-click options and is optional
## the light web browser can be replaced by a more heavyweight browser such as
Chromium or Firefox - see the forum for details

** To obtain a more comprehensive set of firmware download the latest sfs from:
http://www.fishprogs.software/puppy/firmware-sfs/
and rename it to the same fdrv name :idea:
Attachments
beaver.jpg
Beaver full activity.. Miller is grinding the flour.
(109.04 KiB) Downloaded 741 times

hamoudoudou

to compresse save file to Adrive

#172 Post by hamoudoudou »

to compress save file to Adrive, help Musher0 He needs testers. PeeBee said, That is ok. Do It Yourself !
If i had a question to ask about creating Adrive, where could i ask to get an answer. ASRI EDU should have been the person who knows, but he left to install Primtux (Debian) in french schools.

Why soccer players do not unflate the ball at the end of the match ? because they have enough place to store it as it is. And who would blow in the balloon, at reboot.. :?: Don't loose energy for useless process..
inflate deflate = compress uncompress ((air or blanks)
debate about how to remasterize, or not.

stemsee

#173 Post by stemsee »

I have a script that uses 'quit' in the yad menu to close the tray menu, but that shuts the system down abruptly on upupbb.

Also bash 4.4.19(1) does not find all exported functions, at least from that script.

Also some yad dialogues cannot be resized or maximised, at times, same scripts in FD or BD worked fine.

peebee

#174 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:I have a script that uses 'quit' in the yad menu to close the tray menu, but that shuts the system down abruptly on upupbb.

Also bash 4.4.19(1) does not find all exported functions, at least from that script.

Also some yad dialogues cannot be resized or maximised, at times, same scripts in FD or BD worked fine.
????????????? 4.4.19(1) ????????????????

Code: Select all

:bash:|compat|Packages-ubuntu-bionic-main|bash_4.4.18|bash|4.4.18|2ubuntu1|BuildingBlock|1704K|pool/main/b/bash|bash_4.4.18-2ubuntu1_i386.deb|+base-files&ge2.1.12,+debianutils&ge2.15|GNU Bourne Again SHell|ubuntu|bionic||

:yad:|pet|Packages-puppy-common32-official|yad-0.40.3-i686_common32|yad|0.40.3-i686_common32||BuildingBlock|308||yad-0.40.3-i686_common32.pet||Yet Another Dialog||||
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

stemsee

#175 Post by stemsee »

My apologies peebee, I was using the upupbb variant by csipez, I thought it was a remaster of your upupbb, but it uses bash 4.4.19(1) so probably built from scratch. I wil post in that thread.
Attachments
Screenshot(8).png
(28.1 KiB) Downloaded 79 times

tlchost

Re: to compresse save file to Adrive

#176 Post by tlchost »

hamoudoudou wrote:to compress save file to Adrive, help Musher0 He needs testers. PeeBee said, That is ok. Do It Yourself !
How to do it? Thanks?

peebee

#177 Post by peebee »

stemsee wrote:My apologies peebee, I was using the upupbb variant by csipez, I thought it was a remaster of your upupbb, but it uses bash 4.4.19(1) so probably built from scratch. I wil post in that thread.
Bash in upupbb is indeed identifying as 4.4.19(1) at runtime even though the ubb .deb is called 4.4.18 - absolutely no idea why!!! Ubuntu naming and versions are a complete mystery!!!

Sailor Enceladus

Re: to compresse save file to Adrive

#178 Post by Sailor Enceladus »

tlchost wrote:
hamoudoudou wrote:to compress save file to Adrive, help Musher0 He needs testers. PeeBee said, That is ok. Do It Yourself !
How to do it? Thanks?
I posted a link here that explains it a bit more:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 139#924139
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 594#941594

Though I just open the savefile or folder and drag it to /root/new, then do mksquashfs new adrv_distroname.sfs or similar.

stemsee

#179 Post by stemsee »

peebee wrote:Bash in upupbb is indeed identifying as 4.4.19(1) at runtime even though the ubb .deb is called 4.4.18 - absolutely no idea why!!! Ubuntu naming and versions are a complete mystery!!!
It seems to me that after going to the bash ftp archive http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/ one sees bash 4.4.18 and then 4.5-alpha, so it seems they have packaged a nightly build in 4.4.18 ... either human error or a script error. How else to explain it other than sabotage!!

The shutdown error must be kernel config related. The 4.4.19(1)bash related problems are due to the fact that they are shipping a version that was not ready for shipping. In view of that it would be better to install 4.4.17 unless the real 4.4.18 can be found. But this assumes those bugs are not in those other versions.

stemsee

EDIT: BionicDog has the same bash version but the exported functions are always found therefore the problem lies somewhere else within BionicPup!

hamoudoudou

bionic pup march replaced by may to day.

#180 Post by hamoudoudou »

bionic pup march replaced by may to day.
About adrive; ctc Musher0 he needs helpers (a control for his process)
Change pupsave to compressed adrive is useless in my opinion, you just have to increase pupsave..
If compressed files take less place stored somewhere, as an evidence they retrieve their size once uncompressed...
Compressor has worked to compresse and uncompress. Is that clever ?