TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Terry H

#541 Post by Terry H »

Just one thing has come up which has changed rom the last version I was using. On version 12 the screen brightness Function keys worked (which was probably surprising), on version 15 they no longer work. This is only a report for functionality which was working in an earlier version, which no longer is functioning.

I am able to control the backlight from the command line. For intel processor:

Code: Select all

root@TazPup:/home/tux# echo [1 - 937] > /sys/class/backlight//intel_backlight/brightness
N.B. If you "echo 0' it will turn the baclight off completely and you will have a black screen

mistfire

#542 Post by mistfire »

@Terry H this might be a kernel issue. Try to use other kernel version to see if my deductions is correct. If it is a kernel then we need to try linux 4.17.2 kernel

I hope that hotkey issue is fixed also that kernel version can provide more battery life on laptops.

s243a

#543 Post by s243a »

Terry H wrote:Just one thing has come up which has changed rom the last version I was using. On version 12 the screen brightness Function keys worked (which was probably surprising), on version 15 they no longer work. This is only a report for functionality which was working in an earlier version, which no longer is functioning.

I am able to control the backlight from the command line. For intel processor:

root@TazPup:/home/tux# echo [1 - 937] > /sys/class/backlight//intel_backlight/brightness
N.B. If you "echo 0' it will turn the baclight off completely and you will have a black screen
This is a long short but did you try the "auto install xorg video drivers"? It's located in TazPanel->Hardware->Summary

s243a

#544 Post by s243a »

ally wrote:I've tried running the tazwoof script, failed to squash with 'cannot stat source directory "rootfs" No such file or directory

not clever enough to go any further

:)

ps - can you add a -nc to wget so it doesn't download local files again
I got a simillar error on the tazwoof-devx.sh

bash -x tazwoof-devx.sh
+ mksquashfs rootfs devx_tazpup.sfs -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1M -Xdict-size 100%
Cannot stat source directory "rootfs" because No such file or directory
For my case, I think we need to replace:

------

make_sfs(){
  mksquashfs "rootfs" "devx_tazpup.sfs" -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1M -Xdict-size 100%	
}
with

make_sfs(){
  mksquashfs "$curdir/devx-rootfs/" "devx_tazpup.sfs" -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1M -Xdict-size 100%	
}
----------

For your case I think wee need to replace:

make_sfs(){
. $curdir/patches/etc/DISTRO_SPECS	
mksquashfs "rootfs" "$DISTRO_PUPPYSFS" -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1M -Xdict-size 100%

mv -f $curdir/$DISTRO_PUPPYSFS $curdir/preiso/

}
with

make_sfs(){
. $curdir/patches/etc/DISTRO_SPECS	
mksquashfs "$curdir/rootfs" "$DISTRO_PUPPYSFS" -comp xz -Xbcj x86 -b 1M -Xdict-size 100%

mv -f $curdir/$DISTRO_PUPPYSFS $curdir/preiso/

}
but I'm actually surprised that you got this error because the call to this function is commented out on the end of the script that I downloaded. Note also that we need to make another sfs for the kernal modules.

s243a

#545 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:This is the experimental TazWoof. This will build TazPup entirely from Slitaz Packages. The missing part was compiling kernel for TazPup (I put a blank function to place that routine) also make live cd was disabled.

I hope someone will complete this build system.

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VyhLlf ... sp=sharing
I put a slightly modified version of tazwoof-devx.sh at:

https://pastebin.com/Lb81j6mf

Note that technically you should have a license on your script before people start posting modification to it...but I suppose you might want to take the time to figure out what license you want because some licenses can't be changed.

s243a

#546 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Tazpup alpha 15 released

* Puppy installer now fully functional
* Init script for full install fixed
* Fix regression on snapmergepuppy for save session
* More fixes

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjH88y ... sp=sharing

Build kit now available
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kef01 ... sp=sharing
I thought I would give the builder a test. Here is my console outout:

BuilderTest attack-TazPup-ng

As the test we're combinging attackpubV1 w/ Silataz Aircrack-ng.

Truthfully I know nothing about any of the tools in either of these ISOs and the attackpup is probably too old to be useful.

Here is a link to the ISO. I haven't tested it yet so I can't even guarantee that it will boot.

The good news though is I noticed no errors in the output of the make-tazpup script.

I expect it to be quite useless because I think the make-tazpup script strips all the firmware from the Silataz version and I believe the Silataz version has patched wifi kernal modules.

Edit:

I tried testing this by copying the key files in the ISO to a directory. I got the error:

Kernal panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,18)
so I replaced vmlinuz and initrd.xz with those from TazPup-alpha14. I got pretty far but I did get the errors:

/etc/init.d/rcS: line 172 action: command not found
/etc/init.d/rcS: line 179 colorize: command not found
/etc/init.d/bootopts.sh: line 43: action : command not found
addgroup: unknown user tux
/etc/init.d/system.sh: line 43 action: command not found
/bin/sh: warning setlocale: LC_ALL: cannont chang elocale (en_US)
Last edited by s243a on Wed 20 Jun 2018, 12:22, edited 5 times in total.

s243a

#547 Post by s243a »

I uploaded the devX I built with the slightly modified version of tazwoof-devx.sh.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjc2uc6g1x14f ... p.sfs?dl=0

I haven't tested it yet. I'll report back when I tested it.

mistfire

#548 Post by mistfire »

@s243a did you use the latest tazpup builder? the iso you made should be work nicely because it contains no error message upon building it. The Tazpup devx was huge but complete compile suite

license? it might be LGPL.

thinkpadfreak

#549 Post by thinkpadfreak »

greengeek wrote:
> Just wondered if you think your method of mouse adjustement might have some ability to switch off the tap-to-click?

I am using thinkpad track point, which is compatible with ordinary mice. I am afraid my method will not help to turn off tap-to-click.

My thinkpad has a touchpad, too. And I switched it off with 'flsynclient' pet package.

In /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d , there is 45-synaptics.conf (in case of tazpup).

Section "InputClass"
	Identifier "touchpad"
	Driver "synaptics"
	MatchIsTouchpad "on"
	MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
    Option "SHMConfig" "on"
	Option "TapButton1" "1"
	Option "TapButton2" "2"
	Option "TapButton3" "3"
	Option "VertEdgeScroll" "on"
	Option "VertTwoFingerScroll" "on"
	Option "HorizEdgeScroll" "on"
	Option "HorizTwoFingerScroll" "on"
	Option "CircularScrolling" "on"
	Option "CircScrollTrigger" "2"
	Option "EmulateTwoFingerMinZ" "0"
EndSection
Since the touchpad itself is turned off, the options above don't have any effects.

> How did you determine that "platform/i8042/serio4/serio5" was relative to your mouse??

I got the idea from a certain thinkpad user's blog, but the location does not seem to be uniform. I looked for where 'sensitivity' and 'speed' are.

thinkpadfreak

#550 Post by thinkpadfreak »

wiak wrote:
No, though busybox tail +2 likely works, I was really meaning to avoid removing references to busybox in Slitaz scripts (so, for example, tail +2 alone doesn't work). However, better is 'busybox tail -n +2' (which also should work fine), I feel, since the other syntax (without the -n) appears to be deprecated generally. However, if no change to be made, 'busybox tail +2' should also be fine (just make sure to use busybox version as script so designed for).
I am an ordinary user, and I did not even know the difference between #!/bin/ash and #!/bin/bash. I did not know about the syntax of 'tail' command, either.
Now I feel I understand a little better.

peebee

#551 Post by peebee »

Some issues I have with TazPup-Alpha15:

1. TazPup still "messes up" the system time for me so that my system clock is -1hour when I return to another Pup. Biggy.

2. usb keyboards do not work during the boot sequence so you can't select between multiple savefolders....this is a kernel config issue which has been fixed in other Pup kernels and goes away if for example I swap in my 4.17.2 kernel.

3. the cursor disappears when I hover over items in PCManFM - as the longer help prompt popup appears

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Terry H

#552 Post by Terry H »

s243a wrote: This is a long short but did you try the "auto install xorg video drivers"? It's located in TazPanel->Hardware->Summary
The "auto install..." button and also the Detect PCI/USB are not accessible. I did the kernel swap prior to checking though, so not sure if it would have been possible with original kernel.
mistfire wrote: @Terry H this might be a kernel issue. Try to use other kernel version to see if my deductions is correct. If it is a kernel then we need to try linux 4.17.2 kernel

I hope that hotkey issue is fixed also that kernel version can provide more battery life on laptops.
I swapped in the peebee's lxpup64 4.17.2 kernel, it didn't fix the brightness keys. Otherwise all seems to be functioning correctly with the new kernel.

Marv

#553 Post by Marv »

Terry H wrote:
mistfire wrote: @Terry H this might be a kernel issue. Try to use other kernel version to see if my deductions is correct. If it is a kernel then we need to try linux 4.17.2 kernel

I swapped in the peebee's lxpup64 4.17.2 kernel, it didn't fix the brightness keys. Otherwise all seems to be functioning correctly with the new kernel.
Just a data point. The brightness function keys on my i5 based Fujitsu S761 laptop (Fn+F6 and Fn+F7) continue to work correctly in alpha 15 as they have in previous alphas (With the stock kernel and with one of peebees 4.17.0. I haven't tried 4.17.2). It is a frugal Grub4dos install to an SSD with an ext2 savefile updated from alpha 14. Hardware :?

Edit: Just to be sure, checked a pristine boot of alpha 15 on that lappie, logged in as tux. Brightness keys work fine.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Terry H

#554 Post by Terry H »

Marv wrote: Hardware :?

Edit: Just to be sure, checked a pristine boot of alpha 15 on that lappie, logged in as tux. Brightness keys work fine.
Thanks Marv, On my Dell laptop it is F11 & F12, which worked on the previous alpha 12.

s243a

#555 Post by s243a »

I just tried the Iron browser tonight from the package manager. It seems to use less ram, run faster and work better on facebook than palemoon. This isn't true for all distros but on TazPup the Iron browser is working better than palemoon.

Edit: Youtube sound also works on Iron browser for me :)

mistfire

#556 Post by mistfire »

Hello there, Does someone here can gave me an aufs-patched linux kernel 4.17.2 source code?

mistfire

#557 Post by mistfire »

Right now I'm compiling linux kernel 4.17.2 I hope it will be sucessful.

mistfire

#558 Post by mistfire »

I successfully compiled linux kernel 4.17.2 . I will put it to the test before releasing another tazpup version

oui

#559 Post by oui »

mistfire wrote:Tazpup alpha 15 released

* Puppy installer now fully functional
* Init script for full install fixed
* Fix regression on snapmergepuppy for save session
* More fixes

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjH88y ... sp=sharing

Build kit now available
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kef01 ... sp=sharing
hm!

we also can install SliTaz full with

- SliTaz installer from Tazpanel
- SliTaz commando line methods from SliTaz Wiki under uncommoninst
- the Puppy installer

are the results completely equivalent?

if not, differences / goals for each method reason of existing?

oui

#560 Post by oui »

pankso (Christophe, the creator of SliTaz) did close that thread

http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/puppy-hel ... pp-with-it
I am looking if he will answer now that clear question:

http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/puppy-hel ... pp-with-it <- new link!

my last mssg on the SliTaz forum:
pankso did edit (close) my message instead to react / answer! why?

is the law

slitaz is completely free

not valid any more?

I am not one of the people making from SliTaz a "deguised" distro under Puppy but I ask now: how far is (LINUX-)free really free?

http://forum.slitaz.org/topic/pankso-we ... at-subject

here, I, personaly, am FOR SLITAZ and not for the guy's of Puppy searching only a new performance

but I find SliTaz can react and have to say to it's fans what the matter is!

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 705#996705

it would be interesting to be clear...