Tahr vs xenial

Using applications, configuring, problems
SolusUmbra

Tahr vs xenial

#1 Post by SolusUmbra »

What is the difference between Tahrpup and xenialpup?

s243a

#2 Post by s243a »

SolusUmbra wrote:What is the difference between Tahrpup and xenialpup?
Xenial is newer, so is you have newer hardware you probably want Xenual -- especially if your running puppy from your hard drive:

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WhatPuppyLinuxIsBestForYou

If you have older hardware you probably want tahr, especially if you are running puppy via USB 2.0.

But keep in mind that some people here run xenial on quit old computers so maye try both :)
Last edited by s243a on Fri 22 Jun 2018, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.

SolusUmbra

#3 Post by SolusUmbra »

:lol: whats considered newer? All my systems are 5+ years old.

s243a

#4 Post by s243a »

SolusUmbra wrote::lol: whats considered newer? All my systems are 5+ years old.
Well then maybe try xenial on your newest computer and Tahr on one of your older ones.

SolusUmbra

#5 Post by SolusUmbra »

I run tahr32 on my oldest one and it works pretty good. My only problem with it, is it has a problem streaming movies. It didn't do it when I first installed it so I'm guessing I might of done something wrong to it since then.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

Those computers will probably work with both versions of Puppy.

Newer hardware is something 1, 2, or 3 years old.

The Linux kernel being used is the key factor.

Most of the Linux kernel is drivers for the hardware.
Xenialpup is using close to the latest 4 series Linux kernel.

Tahrpup is still using an older 3 series Linux kernel.
Hard to support stuff that was not even manufactured, when that kernel was developed.

With Linux kernel development.
As new versions are made.
At some point, the oldest supported hardware is dropped and no longer is supported.
That is still a very low point, so a lot of very old hardware is still supported.
However, at some point the hardware does not have the ability to do all operations the newest kernel can perform.
So, why keep supporting that hardware.
Puppy tries to keep this from affecting hardware support, as much as possible, for old hardware.
This is a moving target, that is always changing, with each new Linux kernel.

As Puppy develops and the core Puppy files and programs are improved, tweaked, bug fixed. added to, etc......
New Puppy versions are made, using these updated files/programs.
Xenialpup is the newest official Puppy.
Tahrpup is a few years older.

Why not just constantly update a Puppy version?
All volunteers developing Puppy.
Nothing about Puppy is someones job!
Easier to just make a new Puppy, every few years, or when someone feels like doing it.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

mikeslr

#7 Post by mikeslr »

SolusUmbra wrote:I run tahr32 on my oldest one and it works pretty good. My only problem with it, is it has a problem streaming movies. It didn't do it when I first installed it so I'm guessing I might of done something wrong to it since then.
It's time to buy a new car when your ashtrays are full. Alternative reasoning: Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Suggest you open a new thread with a name such as "Problem with Streaming Movies".

Explain the problem. What computer? How much RAM does your computer have? Mention that you're running Tahrpup (32 bit?) How are you streaming? Via browser? Which brower? Used via SFS-Load or installed or portable? What do you do to clear cache --the files downloaded as you surf the web and stream videos-- which may be stored in RAM even after you've finished surfing/streaming? Info like that.

mikesLr

davids45

Run both and decide

#8 Post by davids45 »

G'day SolusUmbra,

Well, my computers are +10 years old :D and run the latest 32-bit Pups as quickly as the older Pups.
A problem, when one occurs, is usually in an added or updated package that wants library files newer than those in the Pup, or a similar annoyance due my adding things :oops: . Or application developers tinkering their software. Up-dates can really Up-mess a computer.

I suspect your streaming video issue is with the package you're using? Can you run this application via a terminal to maybe find where it's going wrong?

Why not install both Pups (your Tahr & Xenial) on your computer and see how they compare? I assume you're running hard-drive Pups not usb Pups, so you could install together many Pups, older and newer. Having multiple Pups on the one USB drive is still possible.

If you want to use Full Pup installs (not the better choice) then you'll need to set up new partitions for each Pup - GParted can do that. I'd stop after about 10 new Full-Pup partitions of 5GB each if your hard-drive has more than say 150GB.

If one TahrPup or XenialPup version has a problem, try another.
Not to mention Slackos, DebianPups and Devuan Pups.

David S.