TazPuppy 5.0 rc2

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
mistfire

#561 Post by mistfire »

@oui

slitaz installers (as well as tazlito and cookutils) on tazpup are removed while tazinst and tazusb scripts is modified (You can use them normally but their function work differently than the original). Thats because of the difference between two distros. Slitaz filesystem was the initrd itself while Puppy filesystem was in the sfs files. So it means Slitaz installers is no longer applicable in TazPup.

Some clarifications here, the tazpup is a hybrid system, not slitaz disguising as puppy and puppy disguising as slitaz. The advantages of two distros combined as one. Also their disadvantages cancel out as well as possible.

By the way Barry (Puppy) and Christophe (Slitaz) ideas were both great.
Last edited by mistfire on Sat 23 Jun 2018, 06:09, edited 3 times in total.

s243a

#562 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:By the way Barry and Christophe ideas were both great.
Link?

s243a

#564 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:Tazpup alpha 15 released

* Puppy installer now fully functional
* Init script for full install fixed
* Fix regression on snapmergepuppy for save session
* More fixes

Download:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FjH88y ... sp=sharing

Build kit now available
https://drive.google.com/file/d/10kef01 ... sp=sharing
I'm not sure if this is correct but there is a folder in:

zdrv_tazpup_5.0.sfs

called
lib/firmware/firmware

It looks like an error to me but I could be wrong.

mistfire

#565 Post by mistfire »

@s243a I will try to repack that. On my latest experiment. Full screen shutdown console will shown only to multisession mode or put "debug-shutdown" paramater in bootloader

I have also a plan to release a whitepaper about how tazpup works upon beta release.

mistfire

#566 Post by mistfire »

@s243a

I repacked now the zdrv and fix that error that you see. The total iso image size of tazpup is now reduced by around 1Mb. dialog command layout works much better.

On tazwoof experiment. I successfully added a function for downloading and compiling kernel. There is only one problem to fix on tazwoof. APPLYING AUFS.

TIP: tazpup builder works on latest slitaz live cd images only

mistfire

#567 Post by mistfire »

TazPup alpha 16 released

Changes:
* Linux kernel 4.17.2
* Repacked zdrv file
* Full screen console only shown upon multisession mode or using "debug-shutdown" on boot paramater
* Improved dialog apperance
* Manage swap file

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1JG3b8V ... sp=sharing

Build kit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aIksF7 ... sp=sharing

mistfire

#568 Post by mistfire »

Here is the initial whitepaper of TazPup. Not yet finalized

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y8oXGx ... sp=sharing

darry19662018

#569 Post by darry19662018 »

Latest Alpha16 version working nicely. Installed the usual suspects all working so far including dogradio. Nice job Mistfire.:)

Billtoo

TazPup Alpha 16

#570 Post by Billtoo »

I was curious and tried booting the TazPup Alpha 16 DVD on my Acer Revo Nettop pc.

It booted successfully, don't have time now but will spend more time with it later on.

Posting from Midori.

Thanks.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(23.85 KiB) Downloaded 429 times

thinkpadfreak

#571 Post by thinkpadfreak »

Hello.
I have been trying tazpup since Alpha 13.

I think tazpup sets hwclock in utc. On the other hand, windows assumes that the hardware clock is in local time.

I have some puppies installed on my PC in addition to windows, and all the puppies set hwclock in local time. The setting of tazpup affects the other puppies and windows.

As for tazpup, is it possible to choose between localtime and utc?

Regards.

mistfire

#572 Post by mistfire »

@thinkpadfreak for the meantime just delete the TZ file in /etc. type unset TZ in terminal and press enter. And use hwclock -l to set the system time to local only. Im trying to fix this system time problem.

Right now I will try to prepare the first beta release of TazPup.

thinkpadfreak

#573 Post by thinkpadfreak »

mistfire wrote:
> for the meantime just delete the TZ file in /etc. type unset TZ in terminal and press enter. And use hwclock -l to set the system time to local only.

Thank you for response.
I suspect that, though the procedure above makes hardware clock equal system time, ntpd or something writes utc into hardware clock. As a result, system time is different from localtime.

I think that, if we have the file /etc/localtime, system time will be corrected. But hardware clock will remain in utc.

Anyway, I am looking forward to the beta version.

s243a

#574 Post by s243a »

mistfire wrote:@thinkpadfreak for the meantime just delete the TZ file in /etc. type unset TZ in terminal and press enter. And use hwclock -l to set the system time to local only. Im trying to fix this system time problem.

Right now I will try to prepare the first beta release of TazPup.
Related to time, there should be something to set lets you set time from the internet. I think that I might of done this under

Slitaz Panel -> Boot -> Manage Daemons

before. Oddly the version of TazPup that I'm running, while I post now, has this grayed out but I'm sure that I used it before. Maybe this was fixed in later versions.

Edit. So Under Tux, I set the timezone under:
Setup -> Time Zone COnfiguration

I logged out looged in as root and the time was correct (Maybe it would have also been correct if I logged back in under Tux.

Anyway, Under root I was able to open

Slitaz Panel -> Boot -> Manage Daemons

and the time server was running. It is called, "ntpd".

I did all this using alpha 12. I have newer versions of TazPup installed just not on the computer that I was presently typing on.

Edit 2 I logged out then back in as Tux and the time is still correct but for better or worse Tux doesn't have access to "Manage Daemons".

zagreb999

tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

#575 Post by zagreb999 »

this one works
tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

thinkpadfreak

#576 Post by thinkpadfreak »

s243a wrote:
> Related to time, there should be something to set lets you set time from the internet.

Adjustment of the hardware clock by "ntpd" is OK, but the hardware clock has to be in localtime for the compatibility with Windows. Ntpd seems to set the hardware clock in utc, which causes a problem.

Edit:
In order to keep the hardware clock in localtime, one might either stop ntpd or, issue a command before shutdown such as:
# hwclock --systohc --localtime

zagreb999 wrote:
> this one works
> tzclock_3.0.6-1_i386.deb

Thank you for your advice.
However, my concern is not how to set the time zone correctly but how to set the hardware clock as we wish (localtime or utc).

mistfire

#577 Post by mistfire »

Tazpup Alpha 17 released:

* Improved system clock (puppy algorithm is now applied)
* utc and localtime can now selected on configure timezone

Download: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FdWZvr ... sp=sharing

Build kit
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1N0tuuS ... sp=sharing

thinkpadfreak

#578 Post by thinkpadfreak »

I am using Alpha 17 under Japanese environment. The clock issue seems to have been mostly fixed.

One of the members in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum suggests a setting as follows:

/etc/daemons.conf
NTPD_OPTIONS="-nqp pool.ntp.org"

This way, ntpd quits after clock is set. (It does not run as a daemon) This setting seems to help prevent the hardware clock being re-written in the way we don't expect.

P.S.
urxvt does not function properly. Some commands cannot be executed, probably because it is a cut-down version.

s243a

#579 Post by s243a »

thinkpadfreak wrote:I am using Alpha 17 under Japanese environment. The clock issue seems to have been mostly fixed.

One of the members in Puppy Linux Japanese Forum suggests a setting as follows:

/etc/daemons.conf
NTPD_OPTIONS="-nqp pool.ntp.org"

This way, ntpd quits after clock is set. (It does not run as a daemon) This setting seems to help prevent the hardware clock being re-written in the way we don't expect.

P.S.
urxvt does not function properly. Some commands cannot be executed, probably because it is a cut-down version.
I kind of like this approach because it means less process running :). It also should be adequate for most peoples needs.

mistfire

#580 Post by mistfire »

Hello there

Can you help me about this problem.

I noticed that pristine slitaz triggers /etc/init.d/rc.shutdown when going to shutdown or reboot while in tazpup does not but it is defined in /etc/inittab in both slitaz and tazpup. Any ideas how to get it work on tazpup?