[SOLVED] Getting Chrome browser to run

Booting, installing, newbie
Crash

[SOLVED] Getting Chrome browser to run

#1 Post by Crash »

This question may have been answered before, but I installed the Chrome browser
and get the following error message when I try to execute it:
"Google Chrome can not be run as root. Please start Google Chrome as a normal user..."
Any suggestions? I'm using Puppy Slacko 5.7.0.

Thanks,

Crash
Attachments
error.png
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
Last edited by Crash on Sat 30 Jun 2018, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

Maybe try Slimjet, better than Chrome.

Oscar talks has some and I think Mike Walsh did some or was it Firefox Quantum.

That version is 4 years old so probably slimjet-14.0.16.0-slack14.0.pet
is the best you could get running.

Chris.

watchdog

#3 Post by watchdog »

ally

#4 Post by ally »

look for gconf in ppm, this is needed from memory

:)

mikeslr

Old Puppies: Chrome & Clones run as root and other problems

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Crash,

All versions of Chromium published for about the last two years, and all Web-browsers based on Chromium [Google-Chrome, Iron, Opera, Slimjet, Vivaldi] were built by their creators to REFUSE TO RUN AS ROOT. For a while, Puppy Devs were able to work around that. If I recall correctly, in or about November 2017, further "improvements :twisted:" made that no longer possible.

In order to continue to provide Chromium-based browsers, Puppy Devs now package them to "run as spot".

Getting any current browser to run under Slacko 5.7 presents one or two further problems. The creators of Chromium-based, themselves, have stopped producing 32-bit versions, so Puppy Devs have to 'start from scratch'. And they now require GTK-3 libraries and/or glibc libraries beyond --I think-- 2.14, not found within Slacko 5.7.

Puppy Devs working on firefox (and its palemoon fork) build current browsers which include GTK-3 and --I think-- glibc 2.19. Peebee has built a recent Chromium, but only for 2017/2018 Puppies.

I've given up trying to find a Chromium-based browser for Slacko 5.7. Mike Walsh will probably respond advising you which 'older version' he considers satisfactory under Slacko 5.7. If not, email him.

The problem with older versions is that some --increasingly many-- website refuse to allow them access.

mikesLr

Mike Walsh

#6 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hallo, Crash.

Answer me one thing, if you would. Just out of curiosity, which version of Chrome were you trying to run?

As t'other Mike says, modern versions of Chrome and/or the the Chromium-based 'clones' just won't run as root any longer. They refuse point-blank, and throw a tantrum if you even try. Big Brother Google considers this is for our own safety, whether we want it or not!

For a long while we were able to take advantage of a 'back-door' Google had provided for web-developers, who often needed to run multiple browsers while they were working on their projects. Google 'allowed' them to run as root, despite not being happy about it. They recognised it as a necessary evil...

Despite running newer Pups, Mike and I both use 570 as our daily driver; personally, I just find it to be rock-solid, and very stable. As things stand, you have five choices; if you don't like Mozilla-based browsers, that pares you down to three.

------------------------------------------

Chrome 48.0.2564.116 - the very last 32-bit Linux version. You can find it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/deqayv78nd0ip/32-bit

...as .pet or SFS. I run this every day; it's still a very good browser, and, as yet, does everything I ask of it.

-------------------------------------------

Iron 58.0.3050.0.

SlimJet 14.0.16.0.

These are both very good Chromium-based 'clones', and can be found at OscarTalk's Yandex a/c.

SlimJet:- https://yadi.sk/d/fd8rBM0WoF9sB?force_show=1

Iron:- https://yadi.sk/d/_S5b4g7tpcyZn?force_show=1

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Mozilla-based browsers, there's PaleMoon:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=93807

And for bang up-to-date, there's really only one choice; fredx181's portable FireFox Quantum.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=112376

I switched to Chrome when it first came out, 10 years ago. I was fed-up to the back teeth with FF's behaviour in those days; in addition to serious memory-leakage problems, it would crash 10 times a day for no discernible reason, and was the biggest RAM hog you could imagine.

I've always kept an eye on what Mozilla were doing with it, often running it as a 'back-up' browser. When Quantum was released last year, I tried it as a matter of course.....and had to admit to being extremely impressed with it. At long last, Mozilla had sorted all the long-standing problems out; it was stable, solid, lightning-fast compared to the old days, and it now plays NetFlix et al perfectly, without any fussy workarounds; in short, it was finally what it should have been all those years ago.....and a worthy competitor to Chrome. Nowadays, I run it in certain Pups where Chrome just ain't practical, and can thoroughly recommend it.

Hope that helps.

Mike. :wink:

dancytron

#7 Post by dancytron »

I can still run the lastest Chrome in Debian Dog Stretch as root.

Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The script I am using is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/live/image/ChromeSettings/google-chrome/config --disk-cache-dir=/live/image/ChromeSettings/google-chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --no-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"
Unless there is something I am missing, if you change "/live/image" to "/mnt/home" it ought to work in Puppy.

Crash

#8 Post by Crash »

Thanks everyone for your inputs. What makes Puppy Linus great is the tremendous support of the community. I'll fiddle around with various solutions, and report back my findings.

Thanks,

Crash

Mike Walsh

#9 Post by Mike Walsh »

dancytron wrote:I can still run the lastest Chrome in Debian Dog Stretch as root.

Version 67.0.3396.99 (Official Build) (64-bit)

The script I am using is:

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

/usr/bin/google-chrome-stable --user-data-dir=/live/image/ChromeSettings/google-chrome/config --disk-cache-dir=/live/image/ChromeSettings/google-chrome/cache --disk-cache-size=10000000 --media-cache-size=10000000 --no-sandbox --disable-infobars "$@"
Unless there is something I am missing, if you change "/live/image" to "/mnt/home" it ought to work in Puppy.
64-bit, Dan. Crash is in Slacko 570....?

Mike. :wink:

Crash

#10 Post by Crash »

Hey, I found a solution!

I installed Xenial Puppy 64, and it has Pale Moon as its browser. That works fine for me.

... There's always a back story ...

So the real history of this is: Our house lost Internet connectivity a few days ago, and I had to find an alternative way to do the usual administrative things that I do online.
I have a low-cost cell phone service, who shall remain nameless, but begins with the word "Metro". I set it up as a local hot spot. It connected great, but my first attempt to run on the Internet was with Windows 10.
It promptly used 500 Megabytes of data to do whatever it does. I discovered this problem (which was fully one half of my monthly allocation of data), and proceeded to re-boot to
Puppy Linux, which was far more frugal at Internet data usage. It worked great, but its Internet browser, Firefox, couldn't connect to my bank, who shall remain nameless, but begins with the word "Bank".
Something about the placement of the secure login tabs, etc. Thus the desire to use a browser that I know worked. Chrome has always worked for me in the past, so that's what I tried to use in Puppy Linux.
But Xenial Puppy 64 with Pale Moon as the web browser works great with my bank using my cell phone as a hot spot. Problem solved.

This exercise, as always, prompted me to explore yet one more part of the Puppy Linux community. The discovery process is a real kick!

I'm posting this thread using Xenial Puppy and Pale Moon with my cell phone as the hot spot. Works great!

I'll mark this thread as "solved", although the solution is kind of different than what I expected. But what ever happens the way you originally expect?

Thanks,

Crash

P.S. - The version of Chrome that I had trouble with was google-chrome-30.0.1599.101.

I went back and installed chromium-25.0.1364.97-i486-s14 - it works fine with Puppy Slacko 5.7.0. Go figure.