Pizzapup 3.0 and Skype sound problem

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
tronkel

Pizzapup 3.0 and Skype sound problem

#1 Post by tronkel »

Hi Pizzasgood.

Just tried PP 3.0. Looks wonderful. Congratulations. I would imagine that 2.15CE will eventually have a very similar mix of packages and style to this.

Here are a few points:

My sound-card needs OSS to function with Skype outgoing from the microphone. This does not seem to work in PP3.0. Have you taken out any OSS stuff? Also the Skype icon does not show up in the icewin tray. These 2 items are not a problem in normal versions of Puppies 2.12 - 2.14.

I can see where you are coming from in keeping the desktop as uncluttered as possible. For newbies however, at least a nice icon on the desktop pointing to the package manager(s) might be be a nice idea.

Apart from these minor points the whole thing is impeccably smart and useful. I am looking forward to a version based on Puppy 2.14 or whatever whenever you get the time make it.

Best from Tronkel
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

Pizzasgood

#2 Post by Pizzasgood »

For newbies however, at least a nice icon on the desktop pointing to the package manager(s) might be be a nice idea.
Did I remove it? Didn't mean to :oops:

I haven't touched any of the audio infrastructure. I just removed gxine and xine-libs.

As for the tray icon, there are two possibilities, depending on what kind of icon it was. If it was an applet-style one, you need to have the icewmtray running. For that, you need to run
icewmtray &
sometime after IceWM starts.

Probably, it is just an icon for it. In that case, you need to add an entry to /root/.icewm/winoptions. Something like
skype.tray: 1
If you look in a setup that works, /root/.icewm/winoptions should have the needed stuff. You could actually copy the entire file if you wanted. It might change some behavior, but then it would match the other setup more.

I don't know when a newer version will be. I probably won't start working hard on one until at least spring break. Then again, I might spend that on a different project.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]