hi all

corepup-mods-9.tar.gz

uploaded to the smokey01 site

wanderer

rockedge

#642 Post by rockedge »

okay! really close to a successful boot of corepup 6.4.1 from a hard drive
filled with frugal Puppies using Grub4Dos

I get to a command line and stuff works but no GUI...

how is it supposed to look ? should I be starting with corepup plus 641?

nosystemdthanks

#643 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:I get to a command line and stuff works but no GUI...

how is it supposed to look ?
i only run it in icewm mode (its in the menu-- if you were trying to do a frugal install to match the boot cd options youd have one menuentry per desktop= line in the isolinux.fig but you really only need the one that you prefer-- so one menuentry as usual) but it has a stripped jwm (also a standard jwm-- there are two different jwm desktops to choose from)

and if you post the line that has the kernel options from your boot menu, we can possibly suggest changes.

id also make a /tce folder and copy the stuff from /cde to it. even for a frugal install.

corepup-6.iso is small
corepup-7.iso is minimal + gui
corepup-8.iso is textmode
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

wanderer

#644 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

reading your mcorefig.pdf now

totally awesome

and very inspiring
(i may even be able to learn a little fig the language you created)

great work

thanks much

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#645 Post by nosystemdthanks »

edit: i notice youve changed your post; i like the new version even better.
wanderer wrote:hi nosystemdthanks

reading your mcorefig.pdf now

totally awesome

and very inspiring (i may even learn a little python)
cool. if you want to try python, here are the two tips for using inline python in fig:

1. fig doesnt care about indents but python does, so indent your python like this:

Code: Select all

python
1234while 1: 
1234    print "press ctrl-c to stop looping"
1234fig

2. fig usually only works with variables that you have started a line with, so if you want to reference variables created in your python code, zero the variable in fig first:

p 0
python
    from math import log10
    p += 5 % 2 
    fig
now = p ; print
3. the original fig manual (posted earlier in this thread) has a quick chapter on python.

theres a version 0.3 of mcorepup for corepup 0.8 thats almost ready, it gets the filesize down but doesnt create the different boot text for example. i could do that in the next hour, though i probably will wait a couple days.

it should be possible to use mcorepup 0.3 to make either corepup-7 or corepup-8 simply by removing wanderer-core from addchanges.
[color=green]The freedom to NOT run the software, to be free to avoid vendor lock-in through appropriate modularization/encapsulation and minimized dependencies; meaning any free software can be replaced with a user’s preferred alternatives.[/color]

rockedge

#646 Post by rockedge »

Thanks for the patience .... I made it booting corepup 6.4.1 from a hard drive using my Grub4Dos menu

so on the hard drive which in this partition is formatted ext4 I have about 20 directories containing frugal Puppies and another 10 with DebianDog XenialDog TrinityDog and some other experimental OS built from DDog scripts or Woof-CE

in this partition I created a directory /Corepup and copied the contents of corepup 6.4.1 iso
into it.using ROX-filer ...I did this while running a tahrpup
then opened /mnt/sdb1menu.lst and added

(these are the settings I used ...both work)

title Corepup desktop
  uuid 8a8ea99d-a1b0-4c43-b1a0-d4ce5c9c7dfa
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/cde/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5
  initrd /Corepup/boot/core.gz

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5
Attachments
screenshot_0711204058.png
(49.94 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

rockedge

#647 Post by rockedge »

test again with using rox-filer to open the iso of corepup copy the contents to a created folder. using either one of these:

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=corepup-jwm waitusb=5

title Corepup
  root (hd0,0)
  kernel /Corepup/boot/vmlinuz showapps tce=sdb1/Corepup/tce/ desktop=icewm waitusb=5
I quickly got the hang of bouncing around either version and loading different apps seeing how she flies

nosystemdthanks

#648 Post by nosystemdthanks »

this post assumed there was still something to fix; no point in confusing people with it
Last edited by nosystemdthanks on Thu 12 Jul 2018, 04:39, edited 1 time in total.

rockedge

#649 Post by rockedge »

I just told you I have it working completely. This is the way I want it. I do not need corepup on another USB stick...I need it where I want it to be when I want to be there. Simple. and as soon as it is a pain in the ass I can go to 500 different flavors of OS

I need certain parameters for the projects I am involved with. and if corepup fits and does the heavy lifting then great.

All I am telling you is I have it working in sub folders on a partition with 52 other frugally installed OS's all starting from a Grub4Dos menu. I am telling you I have 2 versions I can boot from 1)jwm and 2) icewm and I was teling you thank you for the help

that's it. Now where I am I not clear and what don't you understand?

nosystemdthanks

#650 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote: All I am telling you is I have it working in sub folders on a partition with 52 other frugally installed OS's all starting from a Grub4Dos menu. I am telling you I have 2 versions I can boot from 1)jwm and 2) icewm and I was teling you thank you for the help

that's it. Now where I am I not clear and what don't you understand?
sorry for the confusion, i thought you were saying the tce still wasnt loading. glad you got it working! great, thanks for posting the working setup, we will be sure to share that with other grub4dos fans. of course you are very welcome! its a very big help to have this one figured out for us, too.

wanderer

#651 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

have you tried to make any tcz yet ?

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#652 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote:have you tried to make any tcz yet
based on what youve said about it, it should be easy.

its not so much about making tcz, its about when (what do i want to do first? probably get mcorepup 0.3 ready to put online, and its 90% done ive just been busy with other things-- it already gets iso down to 10mb like the "real" corepup-8) and about what i want a tcz-builder to be like.

i will probably go for compatibility rather than standard. in other words, if it works then i will probably not care if it is closer to the standard tcz or if its more like the simple "corepup" tcz that is trivial to implement (according to you.)

to answer your question-- its not a priority per se, but its high up on the list of things to do by coincidence.

when mcorepup can do the isos you have, then i can make newer versions of mcorepup that also add features like a tcz builder.

i wanted that anyway, because i dont just want to copy corepup.tcz i want mcorepup to be able to build or modify corepup.tcz.

wanderer

#653 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

very cool
and advanced

I have decided that I will try to convert
fredx181's portable firefox
to a tcz

it should be very useful and illuminating

will keep you posted

thanks for all the help

wanderer

nosystemdthanks

#654 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote: I have decided that I will try to convert
fredx181's portable firefox
to a tcz
good idea. by the way, when i install firefox (a browser i truly hate-- its the only one that meets my requirements at the moment, though id love to use a different one) i just get the zipped version, unzip, and i keep a symlink to the home folder on my hard drive, so even when i boot frugal/live it uses the home on my hard drive (along with all browser settings, history etx.)

converting to tcz will give boot time a speed up and is therefore worth it, but technically speaking you can unzip a fresh copy every time. your browser settings are stored in the home folder. i unzip to /opt and corepups /usr/local works too. this wont necessarily (shouldnt necessarily) change anything you do, but it might give you a better idea of how easy it should be. i use the most recent version of esr that allows you full control of extensions, and i disable ALL the garbage that tries to tamper with updates and settings in about:config. i dont trust mozilla with anything, past what they put in the current browser version. mozilla could fold right now, and i think they should. then the world can focus on making a browser that sucks less.

rockedge

#655 Post by rockedge »

Chrome and chromium do strange things as well...eat my RAM, sometimes memory leak and/or have race conditions...on corepup chromium does not parse pages correctly for me. Mozilla? what about Google? much more trustworthy or what? chromium so far is the only thing that crashed corepup.

nosystemdthanks

#656 Post by nosystemdthanks »

rockedge wrote:Mozilla? what about Google? much more trustworthy or what?
if google were a real alternative then mozilla wouldnt be a problem. i think as a species we allow those companies into our lives far too much. at least mozilla is an organisation, but as an organisation theyve utterly failed. google is microsoft except more open, amazon is walmart except worse.

wanderer

#657 Post by wanderer »

hi guys

i use firefox made from the firefox maker in corepup
it works fine for me (and supports a downloader)
i use an older one 51.0.1 because it still supports alsa
and i don't want to set up pulseaudio
even though its not hard to set it up

i use dillo for quick stuff

despite its shortcomings however
it seems like firefox is the only real option
for linux for the time being

i would like to have a firefox that we could tweak
so that it was optimized for this project
at least get to know all the options
so i can use it efficiently

that is something i will pursue over time
since it seems the biggest bang for the buck
application wise

there's a ton of other stuff that can be done
to enhance the usefulness of corepup

i am looking at the menu script
andresc2 has been kind enough to isolate
that updates the corepup-jwm menu
so that it shows what apps are loaded
that would be a useful addition

in addition i am looking at the tce-load script in /usr/bin
(tcz concept and code from Jason Williams of tinycore)
which is responsible for loading tcz
because i want to know exactly how they are loaded
that might provide additional insight into the symlink system
and if it can be used in other ways

and of course tearing apart the core.gz
maybe even making it smaller
just for fun

anyway just some stuff i am up to

hope you guys are enjoying playing with corepup

keep the faith

wanderer
Last edited by wanderer on Sat 14 Jul 2018, 03:04, edited 2 times in total.

nosystemdthanks

#658 Post by nosystemdthanks »

wanderer wrote: despite its shortcomings however
it seems like firefox is the only real option
for linux for the time being
no disagreement there. its unfortunate that anybody has to use it, quite a few people are happy with it and quite a few more (like myself) are willing to use it for now.

its certainly not corepups job to fix the mozilla problem, nor do we have the ability-- but if that changes, great. the real solution is going to be alternatives.

what i think, is the browser needs:

1. the ability to run javascript, reliably-- including a few sites that i rely on (i am one example, this goes for other people also.)
2. the ability to stop javascript running per-site
3. the ability to stop other media from loading, preferably per-site-- or at least a very easy way to turn it on and off.

as a bonus, if it was based on python and webkit, it would be very easy for people to make their own changes to it. i dont know if python-webkit allows you to control javascript per-site, or if theres a way to do that. that would be cool.

definitely work that would exist outside of corepup, i would think.

wanderer

#659 Post by wanderer »

hi nosystemdthanks

im not talking about doing any work to firefox
that is completely beyond me

im just talking about learning options
so it can be set up optimally
an be available to corepup users (like me)

for example
i think there is a java blocker add on etc
and making pulseaudio easier to set up
theres some info about this on the portable ff thread

anyway just talking
im sure over time
we will be forced to learn this just to use firefox anyway

wanderer

wanderer

#660 Post by wanderer »

hi all

i just read that palemoon browser