Netbook eeePC 1001PX which puppy?

Booting, installing, newbie
nub

#1 Post by nub »

Hi, need some help with choosing right puppy and make it work on some eeePC leftovers

i have 2PCBs (lack of case and lot of 'misc' stuff) and trying to make it usable computer with old monitor 1024x768 (or 800x600)

checked lot distros, cant manage to get sound with headphones, on some LAN do not work.

system need to sit on 4GB sd card (unetbootin is the eaiest way to put new system on SD for me)

need that mostly for youtube/www online movies and some ebooks
any light window manager would be good (i can use blackbox and some plugins etc) sound and ethernet is must have some modern browser with flash also
no need for social media mails wifi camera mic HDD printing office jobs etc

or maybe way to go is choosing alphaOS(ethernet dont work by default)
an use arch repository but no idea how to make it work
cheers

darry19662018

#2 Post by darry19662018 »

nub

#3 Post by nub »

no lan and sound after 1st run as usual
found an atheros wifi card tho and its get recognized and module loaded (should have working wifi to test it tho (((
Last edited by nub on Sat 07 Jul 2018, 03:15, edited 1 time in total.

smokey01

#4 Post by smokey01 »

http://smokey01.com/jemimah/Puppeee1.0/

This was built especially for the eeepc. Getting a bit old but might be worth try.

nub

#5 Post by nub »

usual problem - no lan no sound

how to install atheros LAN module? lan is enabled in bios, but do not get recognized by puppeee (some of distros recognizes it and it works)
this is how it looks like atm - its 1001 PX (according to pcb marking)

https://i.imgur.com/uhkf9oJ.jpg

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ASUS_Eee_PC_1001px
this is spec from arch wiki
some people said that some distros work ootb but not in my case
found stickers - its asus eee pc r101 blk008x seashell R101

BJF

#6 Post by BJF »

Nub: My 2 cent's worth, I have an elderly EeePC 701 4G that had Jemimah's Puppeee installed to the internal SSD for a long time, and was only swapped for Saluki because that had Frisbee which worked better 'roaming'. Saluki is still in place as the go-to because it is darn near bulletproof on this machine. And FAST. Your requirements might not be suited by Saluki though.
Just recently Artful Aardvark caught my eye, and the 32bit version was installed to an SD socketed into the 701's inbuilt card reader. Currently UpupBB has replaced that but either are recommended. Very modern, very capable. I use rcrsn51's excellent ISOBootloader to install my OS choices. If installing to SD, make sure it is a Class 10, I'd suggest 8Gb or bigger, and format it with a Swap partition. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

nub

#7 Post by nub »

i want rather avoid using any drive sticking to system loading from sd card
(no any internal drive atm, no case no 'guts' - just pcbs in a box like in pic
no wifi cuz dont want to setup ap for one pc.. (and sticking card by tape or something like this)
(2GB of ram should be enough for low res youtube)
few people manage to fix the sound issues with this specific model (one jack)and some distro (any tested puppycant play sound, few recognizes LAN card

and it must play music thru jack - cant connect internal speakers
wonder if there is simple way to do this (or complicated, nvm but explain it in way 'for dummies')dont want to invest any $ into those leftovers (did case swap with better guts years ago) just make them work ;)
and want use SDcard cuz dont know where i throw box with USB sticks :(
have 4 GB sdhc sandisk extreme - it works no need swap, puppy is loaded to RAM right?

8Geee

#8 Post by 8Geee »

For the no sound problem...

Click on Menu, then mouse up to startup --> ALSA Sound Wizard

When ALSA Soun Wizard opens click on ADJUST LEVELS
Using Keyboard Arrows --> to AUTO MUTE and press the DOWN Arrow.

Puppy MUTES the sound on startup.

Then press ESC key.

You can exit the Wizard.

BTW... to adjust volume use the up or down arrows in the ADJUST LEVELS window as you move left or right to select different sources. I use 50 - 0 - 84 - 85. In the lower right corner, the tray icon will show 75%. You can use the mouse scroll-wheel to adjust thhis "Master" volume as desired.

Regards
8Geee
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

gardenbod

#9 Post by gardenbod »

Like some one else in this thread, I have been using an old EEEpc netbook for years. The best puppy I have found is Slacko 6.3.-
It runs Thunderbird and Firefox quite well and plays music.
Worth a try.