Can't install from USB when you have a USB keyboard

Booting, installing, newbie
MarkB

Can't install from USB when you have a USB keyboard

#1 Post by MarkB »

Continuation from a previous post dealing with a separate problem;
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=1749

Hi, I've been struggling to get Puppy working on an old Toshiba Tecra for which we've lost the removable CD-ROM drive. It has a USB port but won't boot from it. I've managed to get Puppy to boot from the hard drive but it hangs at the prompt "Starting X with video mode..."

I've now been able to control the running of XWin (Thanks, Bladehunter) and with judicious use of the 'sleep' command I can see that Xwin script produces an error message just before going into the keyboard language choice screen.

The error reads something like. "I've detected you have a USB keyboard and I'm unable to install from a USB device while a USB keyboard is in use..."

This isn't true as the keyboard is the laptop's own and I'm trying to install with VMLINUZ, IMAGE.GZ and USR_CRAM.FS all on the C: drive so there's no USB involvement at all at this stage.

Any ideas?

I suspect that this isn't what's causing X to hang but I thought I'd better deal with it first.

I can't find XORGCONFIG. What does Puppy use to configure X?

When X hangs, Puppy is still responding because I can open another TTY screen or Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut Puppy down.

The PC has 128MB RAM and a Mobile Pentium II 400. It's the latest version of Chubby Puppy.

Thanks Mark B.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#2 Post by Flash »

It's possible that the laptop's own built-in keyboard is still a USB keyboard at heart, internally connected to the computer through the USB controller. A hardware probe might show that.

Bruce B

#3 Post by Bruce B »

This might sound really dumb. But given that you are getting USB errors and you are not using USB devices (at the point you get the errors). This is what I'd do.

As an experiment, I'd go into the BIOS setup and disable USB and see how the results vary. The idea being that you might learn something.

It might be a dumb idea because if as Flash suggested the keyboard is USB at heart you might have a hard time getting back into the BIOS after you disabled USB